Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 7)

Comments

• far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    Military wives CD, perfect for Mother's Day, don't even go there my little darlings or else, nothing against these wonderful women, don't get me wrong but NO I don't want it

I hate any advert that says "perfects for mothers day" - It's just so patronising,
  • kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just seen another advert with a another great song ruined
    Go your own way?
    Yes, it sounded like Marianne Faithful singing it, loosely speaking

Twinings new TV ad with Lissie singing "Go Your Own Way". It does sound like Marianne Faithfull but not as good as the original Fleetwood Mac version.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Luis Figo isnt that old anyway - he's what - 38 now? Why would his hair be going grey?

For the same reason that women in their 20s are used to advertise anti-wrinkle cream.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another new Aviva advert with the boring Paul Whitehouse,with his ever so funny voices, well it's new to my area

I came on to this thread to post the same thing. The metal detector one - what accent is that supposed to be? Nothing I've heard before. Bloody irritating is what it is - and that's a shame because I really like Paul Whitehouse. you can really go off some people...like the comedians who do the Direct Line adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colgate sensitive with the guy munching on an ice cube!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    "Hi....I'm Paul Whitehouse....and I'm dead"
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,549
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen that ad with that tw*t who barges in on the bloke in the changing room shouting "Wooo hello Buddy!" for ages. Has it finally gone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    Colgate sensitive with the guy munching on an ice cube!

With the obvious cut after he takes a munch of the ice cube, probably in so much pain they had to cut that bit out:D
  • halstationhalstation Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I came on to this thread to post the same thing. The metal detector one - what accent is that supposed to be? Nothing I've heard before. Bloody irritating is what it is - and that's a shame because I really like Paul Whitehouse. you can really go off some people...like the comedians who do the Direct Line adverts.

Comedians?????:confused:
  • eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 22,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That O2 ad with that bloody woman singing "Little Boxes" in her babyish voice!
    I actually liked that song until this ad has made me hate it. I despise that these atrocious ads can get into your head and ruin otherwise pleasant musical memories.
    There are far too many great songs being crucified to death on these pathetic cringeworthy ads these days.
    :mad::mad::mad:
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gravy advert is back :eek: "aaah family" aah time" "aaaaaaaah bisto" :rolleyes:
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twinings - ARGH! What is it with advertisers and using crappy cover versions?! They've gone and ripped off Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way." I wish advertisers were banned from using awful covers! :mad:
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen that ad with that tw*t who barges in on the bloke in the changing room shouting "Wooo hello Buddy!" for ages. Has it finally gone?

He did it to me so i killed him with my razor that doesn't glide
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twinings - ARGH! What is it with advertisers and using crappy cover versions?! They've gone and ripped off Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way." I wish advertisers were banned from using awful covers! :mad:

You can bet your bottom dollar that Fleetwood Mac certainly haven't been ripped off. They'll be coining in a tidy sum. I actually don't mind this version, and I love Twinings tea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Your family will be better off if you die like me"
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLASSIC SONG COVERS

The reason for all the poor cover versions being used in commercials in the past decade or so (and getting more and more frequent) is down to music rights.

In todays quick turn around advertising campaigns it is just to costly to pay a composer to come up with a jingle, then to record it and then pay a performance fee everytime you use this music in your advert. The guy who wrote both the 'Milky Bar Kid' jingle and the 'For mash get Smash' jingle admitted that he could have retired just on the performance fees from these two short jingles alone.

So more and more companies are using already popular songs in their adverts. The reason for the cover versions is again down to cost (and occasionally when an artist or group refuses to allow their original version to be used). Take the Twinnings use of Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way. If the performance fee (paid to the record company, who then gives a cut to the performing artists and a cut to the composers of the song) to use the original Fleetwood Mac version was £1000 per broadcast then the cost of obtaining the performing rights (paid to the publishing company, who only have to give a cut to the composer) would be anything from 50-85% cheaper.

Even with having to hire a studio and session singers/artists the total cost of your own cover version for your ad campaign is far cheaper. So sadly the days of brand jingles is over and the reign of the cover version is almost certain to continue for years to come :-(
  • Le Chat NoirLe Chat Noir Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    The Halifax adverts are PAINFUL.

There is something sinister about the passionless, monotone singing from a bunch of people who look too pleased with themselves for their own good.

It beggars belief that any company would think these adverts are a good image for their organisation when they are so devoid of heart and soul while churning out crappy cover version after crappy cover version that does nothing but leave a dirty stain on our memories of the orignal.

Why can't companies like Halifax see how miserable their adverts actually are? Baffling!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairness wrote: »
    I really want to be annoyed by the Golf advert. You know the one. A chubby middle-aged bloke has a car bonnet up, is showing some young men the engine and says "Just like a Golf". A mum at an airport hire car pickup is being told that her contract only says "eet ees Golf or seemelar" by the dago desk clerk (clever, its politically correct because the British mum is dusky while the dago - sorry, valued EU partner nation national - is white). And her kids are fighting so we feel sympathetic. A skanky blonde who looks as if she is sucking a lemon looks on as a car salesman sells her boyfriend a car "like a Golf". But not a Golf.

The whole premise is that what we all want a Golf.

Most adverts try to be aspirational and no-one in the Golf ad is aspirational. Or they reward us with humour, music or a good set of legs. (Meercats, Opera singers, lager ads). No, the Golf ad doesn't qualify there either.

But somehow I just can't bring myself to hate it.
    3/10 - must try harder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you have probably just summoned it back :mad:
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So how did he manage to put the passports on the dressing table? You'd think someone might have noticed their miraculous manifestation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    The Halifax adverts are PAINFUL.

There is something sinister about the passionless, monotone singing from a bunch of people who look too pleased with themselves for their own good.

It beggars belief that any company would think these adverts are a good image for their organisation when they are so devoid of heart and soul while churning out crappy cover version after crappy cover version that does nothing but leave a dirty stain on our memories of the orignal.

Why can't companies like Halifax see how miserable their adverts actually are? Baffling!

Agreed, I'd love to be in a Halifax advertising meeting when a bright spark says: "Wait a second guys, you mean we can advertise our services WITHOUT singing?!"

They had Howard for what felt like 500 years, then the awful radio stations, now the almost 'Glee' choir... because that's what people like these days. Cynical marketing at its worst.

Also the Halifax ad and I think a couple of others are starting this awful trend of saying 'xxxx happened, so we had an idea'... really, you as a company collectively came up with an idea together did you? I detest this portrayal of corporations trying to come across as touchie feelie and approachable.

Also, can I just throw in an honourable mention to the boyfriend in Sky Sport's monthly ads with his big, greasy face... In the pub quiz spot they're airing at the moment, when he looks longingly at his 'sports knowledgeable' girlfriend I want to reach into the TV and slap the lips off his face.

It's a blatant rip of the BT adverts and you just know it's going to lead to them getting married and him 'hilariously' trying to watch a match during the reception or some such bull.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco: That bloke speaking fast through a load of products, gets me reaching for the mute button.
  • Le Chat NoirLe Chat Noir Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Agreed, I'd love to be in a Halifax advertising meeting when a bright spark says: "Wait a second guys, you mean we can advertise our services WITHOUT singing?!"

They had Howard for what felt like 500 years, then the awful radio stations, now the almost 'Glee' choir... because that's what people like these days. Cynical marketing at its worst.

It's awful. Truly awful.

That said, I do like the Glee cast. They are actually talented singers and performers and have charisma...the drones on the Halifax advert don't ever have a hope at having even an ounce of what makes Glee cover songs successful. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if it's been mentioned but the Oreo cookie one with the child I just want to drown in her glass of milk. :eek:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been mentioned but the Oreo cookie one with the child I just want to drown in her glass of milk. :eek:

Those Oreos look disgusting, I've not tried them, but they look black, like the charcoal biscuits you used to be able to buy to stop flatulence,:eek:
This discussion has been closed.