More torrent sites blocked?

Comments

• Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Bring it on :D

A lot of music (can't speak for movies/TV, I watch so little) is absolute garbage and the "writers", "artists" and companies shouldn't earn a penny from it.

In fact, they should pay us to endure it.

:D your right
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    powar wrote: »
    People just don't understand what piracy does. No wonder music, movies and TV are crap these days... Only got yourselves to blame when there is none left.

What a load of Bollox !. Every time that I have been to the cinema to see a blockbuster film like Skyfall, Dark knight rises, The Avengers etc etc, the cinema has been sold out, especially in the IMAX showings. There are a number of films out this year that will be box office hits & it won't stop people like myself from downloading them after I have seen the film at the cinema, I only download films that I will buy on Blu-ray. Once a decent copy of the new Die Hard comes on torrent, then I will download it as chances are it will be the uncut version that didn't get shown in this country. I mistakenly paid to see the kiddie version of the film & so I will download illegally the uncut version, those idiots in Hollywood only have themselves to blame for that. But I will buy the Blu-ray of the uncut version as it will go with the rest of the collection, I download rips as it is quicker than making my own to watch on any of my other devices.

There are 1000's of excellent bands & artists on the likes of Spotify, but they don't get any radio play, because the majority of radio stations only played shit like those autotuned idiots 1D. Believe me if Piracy could cause the downfall of the majority of the current top 40, I would encourage it whenever possible. I went into HMV yesterday & as usual they were charging silly amounts for metal albums, yet was playing that ear bleeding, wrist slitting 1D crap, so I walked straight out the store & ordered the album I wanted online & not only a cheaper cost, but also to save my ears.

And as for TV being crap, Greys Anatomy is now in season 9, Game of Thrones has been renewed for a 4th season, despite it being the biggest pirated show on TV. Supernatural I always download despite having a Sky subscription, as I don't believe in waiting a year for it to be shown in the UK. All these great shows keep on getting renewed including Dexter & Breaking Bad, despite people downloading them.
  • Barneygumble84Barneygumble84 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    What a load of Bollox !. Every time that I have been to the cinema to see a blockbuster film like Skyfall, Dark knight rises, The Avengers etc etc, the cinema has been sold out, especially in the IMAX showings. There are a number of films out this year that will be box office hits & it won't stop people like myself from downloading them after I have seen the film at the cinema, I only download films that I will buy on Blu-ray. Once a decent copy of the new Die Hard comes on torrent, then I will download it as chances are it will be the uncut version that didn't get shown in this country. I mistakenly paid to see the kiddie version of the film & so I will download illegally the uncut version, those idiots in Hollywood only have themselves to blame for that. But I will buy the Blu-ray of the uncut version as it will go with the rest of the collection.

There are 1000's of excellent bands & artists on the likes of Spotify, but they don't get any radio play, because the majority of radio stations only played shit like those autotuned idiots 1D. Believe me if Piracy could cause the downfall of the majority of the current top 40, I would encourage it whenever possible. I went into HMV yesterday & as usual they were charging silly amounts for metal albums, yet was playing that ear bleeding, wrist slitting 1D crap, so I walked straight out the store & ordered the album I wanted online & not only a cheaper cost, but also to save my ears.

And as for TV being crap, Greys Anatomy is now in season 9, Game of Thrones has been renewed for a 4th season, despite it being the biggest pirated show on TV. Supernatural I always download despite having a Sky subscription, as I don't believe in waiting a year for it to be shown in the UK. All these great shows keep on getting renewed including Dexter & Breaking Bad, despite people downloading them.

Spot on mate.

It's not like they don't make enough money; here's how much revenue a few 2012 movies have made (from Wiki):

Skyfall $1,108,561,013
    Avengers $1,511,757,910
    Hobbit $1,014,395,938
    Dark Knight Rises $1,081,041,287

TV Shows also make a lot in ad revenue and the tonnes of product placement (Anthony Soprano Junior drank a hell of a lot of Snapple!).

If TV shows, films and music (to a lesser extent) were priced reasonably and made more accessible, illegal downloading would reduce. (A cinema ticket costs around £12, £18-£20 towards Central London for a basic seat, 2D offering. 'VIP' seating, 3D, IMAX etc are more, often £25 per ticket!)

I use Love film instant; whilst it's great for not-so-recent movies, the TV show aspect is pretty poor (e.g. Lie to Me Seasons 1-2 only). I own around 1000 DVDs and 100 TV box sets but haven't bought any Blu-Rays due to price.

Sky and Virgin are grossly over priced IMHO. LF and Netflix are the best value at the moment, but you don't get to keep any media.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on mate.

It's not like they don't make enough money; here's how much revenue a few 2012 movies have made (from Wiki):

Skyfall $1,108,561,013
    Avengers $1,511,757,910
    Hobbit $1,014,395,938
    Dark Knight Rises $1,081,041,287

TV Shows also make a lot in ad revenue and the tonnes of product placement (Anthony Soprano Junior drank a hell of a lot of Snapple!).

If TV shows, films and music (to a lesser extent) were priced reasonably and made more accessible, illegal downloading would reduce. (A cinema ticket costs around £12, £18-£20 towards Central London for a basic seat, 2D offering. 'VIP' seating, 3D, IMAX etc are more, often £25 per ticket!)

I use Love film instant; whilst it's great for not-so-recent movies, the TV show aspect is pretty poor (e.g. Lie to Me Seasons 1-2 only). I own around 1000 DVDs and 100 TV box sets but haven't bought any Blu-Rays due to price.

Sky and Virgin are grossly over priced IMHO. LF and Netflix are the best value at the moment, but you don't get to keep any media.

Tbh mate I totally forgot about mentioning The Hobbit even tho I saw it on it's first public showing at the IMAX & even tho I downloaded a rip of it, I will be withholding from getting the Bluray of it until the extended edition comes out later this year. As for Blu-rays being expensive, the majority of mine come from online suppliers or from the local CEX store. If I want a Blu-ray film on the day of release, then I will get it from Morrisons & use my girlfriends discount card, so the pricing is very close to DVD. I have even booked up to see the midnight screening of Iron Man 3 at the end of this month, as I want to see the film without any teens screaming and shouting during the film. I will do the same for Star Trek, Hangover 3 etc etc.

Another thing the industry needs to sort out is the release dates for certain films. The other week Red Dawn got released, but as it was originally aired in the USA last November, by the time it had arrived in the UK, it was already on Amazon Instant, which was only the fraction of the cost of a cinema ticket.
  • technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the world economy is in total meltdown, everyone just downloads everything for free now. With 3D printers becoming cheaper and more advanced even more items will be available to download for free in the future.

The only thing to save the world economy is for new powerful laws to come in and anyone found downloading from a torrent site or any other illegal download service should face a minimum of 6 months in prison.

There needs to be a strong deterrent. Eventually they will have no choice as it will be either take users to court or let countries keep going bust until we're all living in mad max times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    technoguy wrote: »
    No wonder the world economy is in total meltdown, everyone just downloads everything for free now. With 3D printers becoming cheaper and more advanced even more items will be available to download for free in the future.

The only thing to save the world economy is for new powerful laws to come in and anyone found downloading from a torrent site or any other illegal download service should face a minimum of 6 months in prison.

There needs to be a strong deterrent. Eventually they will have no choice as it will be either take users to court or let countries keep going bust until we're all living in mad max times.

we better build lots more prisons then:p
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what if i make loads of money from illegal downloading and pump it all back into my local economy?

surely that's good and better for the area where i live than it all going to adele, peter jackson and rupert murdoch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panda79 wrote: »
    we better build lots more prisons then:p
    Wouldn't need to as once the law comes in that the registered owner of that internet connection could go to prison for 6 months for handling stolen goods. People would soon start buying things again instead of stealing them and then bragging on digital spy that they are thieves and how cool they are to be getting away with all this stolen merchandise. Even encouraging other users of this forum to steal by posting links to ways of getting in and out of sites with a big bag of free gear.

This crazy lawless crime culture can't go on, once everything goes totally digital in the next few years. Governments will be forced into action.
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't need to as once the law comes in that the registered owner of that internet connection could go to prison for 6 months for handling stolen goods. People would soon start buying things again instead of stealing them and then bragging on digital spy that they are thieves and how cool they are to be getting away with all this stolen merchandise. Even encouraging other users of this forum to steal by posting links to ways of getting in and out of sites with a big bag of free gear.

This crazy lawless crime culture can't go on, once everything goes totally digital in the next few years. Governments will be forced into action.

do you know how much it costs to put a person in prison for a year ? this plan of yours will not work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what if i make loads of money from illegal downloading and pump it all back into my local economy?

surely that's good and better for the area where i live than it all going to adele, peter jackson and rupert murdoch.
    It doesn't all go to adele, peter jackson and rupert murdoch. It goes to 100,000s of people right down to everyday folk on minimum wage jobs that work in warehouses, shops, cinemas,call centres etc. They all lose their jobs and their family's all suffer.

It feels nice to justify these crimes by imagining it only affects millionaires. But it has a knock on affect for millions of everyday peoples jobs.
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't all go to adele, peter jackson and rupert murdoch. It goes to 100,000s of people right down to everyday folk on minimum wage jobs that work in warehouses, shops, cinemas,call centres etc. They all lose their jobs and their family's all suffer.

It feels nice to justify these crimes by imagining it only affects millionaires. But it has a knock on affect for millions of everyday peoples jobs.

i've had to buy loads of equipment from amazon, ebay and argos to make sure i'm able to download at 100% efficiency.

i've put more money into the economy than people buying the sopranos on dvd from hmv.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think you could have the registered owner of the connection automatically being locked up. They could be totally innocent. I mean who'd dare be the registered owner of a connection, say in a shared house if your proposed law was in force? I know I wouldn't.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

And we all know its not going to happen, would have been done years ago
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

Why do people ALWAYS presume that just because someone made an illegal download, it is something that person would purchase if it did not have access to it.. That speech is totally out of touch with reality, and that's exactly why this laws are going no where. People download stuff , not just because they don't want to pay for it but exactly because it's available. They would probably would not spend a penny on the majority of things they download for free. The fact that you have access to stuff that you would pay for in the first place place ends up opening a whole new market for those products.

Plus that speech about jobs etc etc cannot be reduced to illegal downloads, no one wants to own the physical object anymore, it's inevitable that certain type of jobs will be disappear in the future.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Why do people ALWAYS presume that just because someone made an illegal download, it is something that person would purchase if it did not have access to it.. That speech is totally out of touch with reality, and that's exactly why this laws are going no where. People download stuff , not just because they don't want to pay for it but exactly because it's available. They would probably would not spend a penny on the majority of things they download for free. The fact that you have access to stuff that you would pay for in the first place place ends up opening a whole new market for those products.

Plus that speech about jobs etc etc cannot be reduced to illegal downloads, no one wants to own the physical object anymore, it's inevitable that certain type of jobs will be disappear in the future.

I agree with all of this .FANS will buy the music or film .The pirates will download watch and delete it .
    I used to be self employed as a painter and decorator .I know that a lot of my customers still haven't redecorated over my work .If we go off musicians receiving royalties for music they released years ago then technically I should be able to do the same .And charge extra for all those people who've been in their houses "looking" at my work .In reality it's exactly the same .
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you walk into HMV and buy a CD (how quaint is that???) if it's rubbish, or one good song with 12 fillers, you don't get your money back.

People have become used to "try before you buy" and if all "illegal" downloading became abolished overnight, I doubt they would go back to the music shops and risk their money again. I think music sales would plummet.

Shouldn't entertainment industries just accept that sites such as The Pirate Bay are, actually, free promotion sites for their output? If I ran Youtube I'd make a point of telling the likes of Armin Van Buuren "hey, if you want to promo your music and videos on here, that's ten grand, please".

See what the reaction is then.
  • OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it wong to d/l tv shows then?
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder the world economy is in total meltdown, everyone just downloads everything
    for free now. With 3D printers becoming cheaper and more advanced even more
    items will be available to download for free in the future.

The only thing to save the world economy is for new powerful laws to come in and
    anyone found downloading from a torrent site or any other illegal download service should
    face a minimum of 6 months in prison.

There needs to be a strong deterrent. Eventually they will have no choice as it will be either
    take users to court or let countries keep going bust until we're all living in mad max times.
    Either that was sarcasm or you've completely brainwashed by the greedy bullshit pigopolists of the media industry.
    If you were actually being serious there, with not the slightest hint of sarcasm, then unfortunately, you are an idiot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

100,000s? I'm not sure where you pulled that figure from, but it certainly isn't anywhere near that any more.

Cinemas are going digital, so there go your motion picture film reproduction workers, distributors and projectionists.

In the movie and TV special effects industry, where you might once have had a small army of model/set builders and labourers, you now have the actors standing in front of "green screens", and a relatively small number of digital artists. These artists don't necessarily work in Hollywood, since much special effects work is out-sourced overseas to places where money can be saved.

SInce everything seems to be going digital, the workers at the disc reproduction plants may be out of a job soon.

We have all heard of Woolworths, HMV, Blockbuster and many other companies who have gone bust or are in serious financial trouble. This wasn't due to internet piracy, but was due to people choosing to buy their entertainment online from places like Lovefilm, Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Yes, computers, the internet and digital media have cost many entertainment industry workers their jobs, and will no doubt cost many more, but not for the reasons you think.
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a cinema person, I don't like that you have to pay over the odds to watch a film on an oversized screen with a bunch of strangers that won't shut up. Therefore I download my movies. If I had the option to pay for and watch new releases at home, then I certainly would.
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to watch the 1st episode of Game of Thrones because I have heard the series is good. It's not on Sky or Netflix so where could I get it from without using torrent sites? I don't want to buy the whole season on DVD because I might not like it after iv'e watched episode 1 and if that's the case it will be a waste of money. Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    cooltv wrote: »
    I would like to watch the 1st episode of Game of Thrones because I have heard the series is good. It's not on Sky or Netflix so where could I get it from without using torrent sites? I don't want to buy the whole season on DVD because I might not like it after iv'e watched episode 1 and if that's the case it will be a waste of money. Any ideas?

usernet
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let me guess, you work for the industry? It certainly sounds like it.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Six months for downloading, never going to happen, crime is rape, murder, shoplifting ect. Downloading is not an illegal act and if it were then bang goes the Internet.

If you want to vent your anger then do it at the media industry, they are the ones to blame for their incessant greed.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've had to buy loads of equipment from amazon, ebay and argos to make sure i'm able to download at 100% efficiency.

i've put more money into the economy than people buying the sopranos on dvd from hmv.

:eek: :D

Nice retort