Your most overrated film of 2012

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know people are going to be annoyed that I've used the "o" word, and have started another thread on a familiar subject..
However, I have my reasons ...

The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012;
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-avengers-overrated-movie-2012-poll-20130102,0,7295260.story

IMHO this is nonsense (although I am aware that a sizeable of people may agree with the results), and I would point out that in the survey, an obscure movie called "Bernie" won the most underrated movie award... (No. Me neither.)
*cough*FilmSnobs*cough*

It did make me think that there are some other more worthy winners though...

For me, easily the most overrated movie was "Berberian Sound Studio".
IMHO this was a jaw-dropping piece of pretentious nonsense, with no real plot and no ending! The film even consists of a fake nature documentary which is inserted into the film for about 4 minutes! Absolute rubbish.
And yet nearly every review has been positive! From The Telegraph and Total Film, to Alex Zane and Mark Kermode, they've all raved about it.
Never in my life have I been more confounded by the positivity around a film! :eek:
I know it has supporters (everybody apart from me I guess), but my God, I hate it!

I could rant on about "The (Un)Amazing Spider-Man" & and "The (Not)Bourne Legacy", but I won't...

Anybody else got the touch of the "overrates" about any 2012 films?

Comments

• bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you rename this thread "Popular films that I didn't like" ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Can't you rename this thread "Popular films that I didn't like" ?

Err ... no. Because it was the LA Times "overrated" survey that made me start the thread.

I see ... I get the picture ... I'll get me coat. :(
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Skyfall was totally overrated!
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    I know people are going to be annoyed that I've used the "o" word, and have started another thread on a familiar subject..
    However, I have my reasons ...

The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012;
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-avengers-overrated-movie-2012-poll-20130102,0,7295260.story

IMHO this is nonsense (although I am aware that a sizeable of people may agree with the results), and I would point out that in the survey, an obscure movie called "Bernie" won the most underrated movie award... (No. Me neither.)
    *cough*FilmSnobs*cough*

It did make me think that there are some other more worthy winners though...

For me, easily the most overrated movie was "Berberian Sound Studio".
    IMHO this was a jaw-dropping piece of pretentious nonsense, with no real plot and no ending! The film even consists of a fake nature documentary which is inserted into the film for about 4 minutes! Absolute rubbish.
    And yet nearly every review has been positive! From The Telegraph and Total Film, to Alex Zane and Mark Kermode, they've all raved about it.
    Never in my life have I been more confounded by the positivity around a film! :eek:
    I know it has supporters (everybody apart from me I guess), but my God, I hate it!

I could rant on about "The (Un)Amazing Spider-Man" & and "The (Not)Bourne Legacy", but I won't...

Anybody else got the touch of the "overrates" about any 2012 films?

It depends what you mean, critically acclaimed movies or big and eagerly awaited blockbusters ?
    I would agree with the LAT about The Avengers, but I don't think it was quite so bad as Prometheus. I was looking foward to the latter, so the disappointment quota was greater.
    That's the thing really, if you're not expecting much, you're not so disappointed and you don't care if it's been over-hyped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo Prometheus. It was being hailed as the greatest sci fi film since 2001 pre release. After seeing it I wanted to track down Ridley Scott and slap him silly.
  • sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I thought Skyfall was totally overrated!

me too, couldn't keep my eyes open
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep Avengers gets my vote too. totally generic superheo movie apart from a couple of good scenes involving Hulk
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    Deffo Prometheus. It was being hailed as the greatest sci fi film since 2001 pre release. After seeing it I wanted to track down Ridley Scott and slap him silly.

Yes, I still think it's a good movie, but I was expecting so much more. There were a few superb scenes that almost lived up to the hype, but much of it was very ordinary Sci Fi stuff and not the work of a master.
    Watched Blade Runner again the other night, then the documentary afterwards..magnificent movie.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Avengers would definitely be my pick also.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cabin in the Woods was the most disappointing for me.

Prometheus and Hunger Games as well. I would list The Dark Knight Rises, but I was already biased against the Batman films so it can't be counted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Avengers is overrated, all the characters were annoying (with the exception of the Hulk), and every third line was a zinger, which became very grating after a while. (And that flying birds from another dimension thing, where did that come from?)

Does anyone know what "Bernie" is about?
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generic answer but Avengers for me too. I saw it for the first time at Christmas and had heard great things about it - I'd give it a 4/10 at best... no idea why everyone raved about it when it was in theatres.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rest my case!
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »
    I rest my case!
    Your case is mistaken. Saying "I think (X) was overrated" is not necessarily the same as saying "I disliked (X)". I for one liked Avengers, it was good. Just not quite deserving of the high level of praise it got.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avengers - it was a decent, enjoyable flick, but nothing close to one of the best films of the year.
  • man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall has to be up there. Way overrated
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012

I'd agree with that, I thought it was shite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    The Dark Knight Rises - don't get me wrong I thought as films go it was worth the cinema ticket price but I cannot see why it got so many top ratings from critics. It contained the same kind of flimsy plot holes that alot of other big hero type films have and was not that special IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Like all James Bond films Skyfall is the usual juvenile nonsense.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Tough call between Avengers or Dark Night Rises.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall for sure.

Avengers was one of the main highlights in terms of movies of 2012 for me.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argo or the The Hunger Games for me.

Argo felt like a bad comedy caper from the 80's and The Hunger Games really was just dire.

The Avengers may have it faults but I thought Joss caught the tone of Marvel comics really fan - a fans film really. Skyfall was a solid entry into the Bond Franchise and miles better than QOS.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not one for this Overhype/Overrated stuff. But if I were to pick something it would be Dark Knight Rises. Not due to its build up but because of how many people who said it was Amazing with no ability to give a reason for this opinion.

I personally thought it was an fair film, not spectacular and slightly clichéd with the ending but as a conclusion of a good trilogy it worked. But there seems to be so many people unable to opine for themselves that they catch hold of the popular opinion and thus making that opinion even more popular. I am not saying everyone who says they like it are these people but there does seem to be a fair few out there.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argo or the The Hunger Games for me.

Argo felt like a bad comedy caper from the 80's and The Hunger Games really was just dire.

The Avengers may have it faults but I thought Joss caught the tone of Marvel comics really fan - a fans film really. Skyfall was a solid entry into the Bond Franchise and miles better than QOS.

Argo? I can relate to that. It was very well made, and a great technical achievement but the manipulation of the facts and the stereotyping of the Iranian people let it down. So yes, it was very highly praised but it wasn't as good as the critics claimed. On the other hand, The Hobbit wasn't all that well-received but it was actually a bigger disappointment than the reviews suggested.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    The Avengers is very much of a "I can't see what the fuss is about" type film, in my view that is. It's enjoyable, but I certainly think TDKR had it beaten.

The hunger Games is atrocious, sorry but it is. I just cant see any redeeming features in it whatsoever. I actually thought I was watching an episode of the Waltons in the first act. As for the costume design, egads. What the heck happened there? It took blimming ages to get going too.