Apple probe after women is electrocuted by answer the phone

DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A woman was killed when she answered her phone when it was charging.

Full Story here.

Two things that I don't do is answer my phone when it is charging and leave my phone charging over night either.

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm unsure how 5V at 1A is sufficient to kill anyone. My best guess is that there are other medical conditions here that may have been triggered by the shock.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I'm unsure how 5V at 1A is sufficient to kill anyone. My best guess is that there are other medical conditions here that may have been triggered by the shock.

In theory the mains could pass through the transformer and up the cable to the phone if the charger was fake or incorrectly assembled and the AC side bridged with the DC. The electrical clearances on the fakes have been known to be very scary.

I know the family say they bought the phone from an Apple store, but you never know if the girl bought a replacement charger or something, or it got mixed up with somebody else's fake somehow. It may even be that fakes have got into Apple's supply chain in China somehow as it's rife out there.

When you look at the electrical safety of the fakes it's a wonder there aren't more deaths.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    In theory the mains could pass through the transformer and up the cable to the phone if the charger was fake or incorrectly assembled and the AC side bridged with the DC. The electrical clearances on the fakes have been known to be very scary.

I know the family say they bought the phone from an Apple store, but you never know if the girl bought a replacement charger or something, or it got mixed up with somebody else's fake somehow. It may even be that fakes have got into Apple's supply chain in China somehow as it's rife out there.

When you look at the electrical safety of the fakes it's a wonder there aren't more deaths.

Who knows the truth behind this story, but even if you grabbed a live ac mains wire ( which I have ) I think you would be very unlucky to get killed by it unless you have a serious health condition.

I think the danger is where you get a sustained shock, like if you're in a bath and a mains powered device like a hairdryer or similar is dropped in.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Who knows the truth behind this story, but even if you grabbed a live ac mains wire ( which I have ) I think you would be very unlucky to get killed by it unless you have a serious health condition.

I think the danger is where you get a sustained shock, like if you're in a bath and a mains powered device like a hairdryer or similar is dropped in.

As you say, who knows what happened in this case. However if the aluminium was against the girls head when the charger got tugged and caused it to bridge, then a direct shock so close to the brain cannot be good.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    AC mains would have caused the phone to been thrown away by her hand likely only slightly shocking her. Not sure what this is about but it doesn't sound that straight forward...
    Been shocked a few times by AC mains.. still here.
    Brain being close wouldn't be the issue it is always the heart, especially if it goes through one arm and grounds out via the other crossing the heart and stopping it, interfering with it or plain frying parts of it.

DC however she'd be dead no questions asked.
    This article is very Apple negative to the point of smelling of Bulls**t.

However very little mainstream coverage over the S4's that have been catching fire..
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-catches-fire-while-charging-overnight

Heard of 5 in the UK alone.. (via retailers) no news at all about it anywhere!!!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fake apple charger teardowns, some scary shit right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    she probably looked longingly at a galaxy S4

so St Steve simted her from above
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    AC mains would have caused the phone to been thrown away by her hand likely only slightly shocking her. Not sure what this is about but it doesn't sound that straight forward...
    Brain being close wouldn't be the issue it is always the heart, especially if it goes through one arm and grounds out via the other crossing the heart and stopping it, interfering with it or plain frying parts of it.

However very little mainstream coverage over the S4's that have been catching fire..
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-catches-fire-while-charging-overnight

Heard of 5 in the UK alone.. (via retailers) no news at all about it anywhere!!!

Are you that sad that you feel you need to respond to this thread with evidence of which phone is more likely to kill you :rolleyes:
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

AC can cause spasms of the muscles which cause people to grip. Not throw it away depending on the current. DC can do similar.

Regarding the BIB. So no proof at all then?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Are you that sad that you feel you need to respond to this thread with evidence of which phone is more likely to kill you :rolleyes:

C'mon, it's pretty obvious the original story is link bait. Connecting an Apple device with killing people is bound to grab the headlines, more so than with a Samsung device.
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    C'mon, it's pretty obvious the original story is link bait. Connecting an Apple device with killing people is bound to grab the headlines, more so than with a Samsung device.

Is it nowadays? Apple has lost appeal now and most people don't really care!
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Is it nowadays? Apple has lost appeal now and most people don't really care!

Other than the media most people never did really care e.g. the ridiculous Antennagate storm in a tea cup that passed the man in the street by.
    Forum Member
    Other than the media most people never did really care e.g. the ridiculous Antennagate storm in a tea cup that passed the man in the street by.

Only it wasn't ridiculous. It was a problem.

Oh and that was years ago when apple did have appeal.
    Forum Member
    Only it wasn't ridiculous. It was a problem.

Oh and that was years ago when apple did have appeal.

Was never a problem to me and any of my friends and family who all had iPhone 4's
    Forum Member
    Was never a problem to me and any of my friends and family who all had iPhone 4's

Was when my Mrs had her 4 and was to many other people. Didn't affect me as i had a 4S however.
    Forum Member
    Was when my Mrs had her 4 and was to many other people. Didn't affect me as i had a 4S however.

Never noticed any difference between my 4 and 4S.
    Forum Member
    To pretend that this wasn't a major problem for many users is a little silly to be honest
    Forum Member

Doesn't surprise me.....
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you would if you play games, trust me, 4S is much quicker at loading anything and everything and games play smoother
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    you would if you play games, trust me, 4S is much quicker at loading anything and everything and games play smoother

He means the signal issue that plagued the iphone 4 when 'held wrongly'!
    Forum Member
    He means the signal issue that plagued the iphone 4 when 'held wrongly'!

If you held it right and not like an idiot holds it then there would be no problem... I'm with Apple stupid consumers ;)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    If you held it right and not like an idiot holds it then there would be no problem... I'm with Apple stupid consumers ;)

You mean as long as you were right handed!
    Forum Member

Typical now you want to blame apple for those freaks who are left handed they shouldn't be using phones, next they will be expecting free bumpers the ungrateful scum.
    Forum Member

Well I am left handed and I never had to consciously hold it a particular way and I never got the problem - although I could reproduce the problem by pressing a finger tightly across the join, but not at all a normal thing to do. As I said, storm in a teacup and the sort of thing the media love, as long as it is Apple. You lot obviously have a short memory but other well known brands at the time were shown to exhibit the same "problem".
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am left handed and I never had to consciously hold it a particular way and I never got the problem - although I could reproduce the problem by pressing a finger tightly across the join, but not at all a normal thing to do. As I said, storm in a teacup and the sort of thing the media love, as long as it is Apple. You lot obviously have a short memory but other well known brands at the time were shown to exhibit the same "problem".

Which other phones?

When you put your hand round any antenna it will attenuate it, that wasnt the only issue the iPhone 4 had though, bridging the two antennas is a totally seperate issue that no other phone had.

Having said that I didn't experience any signal issues on my iPhone 4 but then I used a bumper to protect it as I do with my Nexus 4.