Any Sitcoms Which You've Really Enjoyed But Never Found Funny?

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
Forum Member
✭✭
Reading through the Top 5 thread, I was reminded of Goodnight Sweetheart.

Think I watched every episode, thought it was an absolutely brilliant show, fascinating too but cannot remember ever laughing at it once.

Does anybody have comedy shows that they have loved but never found funny?

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose Goodnight Sweetheart did work well as a piece of 1940s nostalgia, even if you were to remove the humour and one liners from it.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Not going out - enjoy it but haven't laughed once
    Same with how I met your moter
  • TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I love Goodnight Sweetheart. Did you not laugh whenever Gary sat down at the piano and sang a song claiming he wrote it? Hearing people in the 40s singing Elton John is funny to me :D. I love the episode where he visits Liverpool and sings Penny Lane, only for the locals to think it's crap. Makes me laugh. Especially the cameo from "Mr Lennon".

I sometimes watch My Family, even though I don't find it that funny. It's more for nostalgic reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Goodnight Sweetheart. Did you not laugh whenever Gary sat down at the piano and sang a song claiming he wrote it?

http://youtu.be/0XTx5XuN8_A :D
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get this, surely the whole point of a sitcom is to make you laugh, so if you don't find the program funny, you don't watch it!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    I don't get this, surely the whole point of a sitcom is to make you laugh, so if you don't find the program funny, you don't watch it!

It's not the whole point. Sometimes sitcom writers and performers forget that. The very best sitcoms have a lot more going for them than just the gag count and big laughs.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member

But this isn't a thread moaning about unfunny shows though. It's comedies that you didn't enjoy from a comical perspective, but was actually drawn into the programme and the characters.

How I Met Your Mother is probably my main one. In fact I don't really think I find many comedies massively laugh out loud funny. Caring about the characters and their stories is the big deal-breaker for me. Probably why I find episodic 'story-of-the-week' shows with no long-running plot threads so hard to engage with.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the opposite token, Jonathan Creek wouldn't be considered a comedy but can have me in hysterics, especially the earlier episodes.

Not Going Out is quite an enjoyable show without it being that funny.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin and Stacey for me.
    I guess I just see it as a light-hearted soap.
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I agree about Goodnight Sweetheart. I watched all of them and really enjoyed the show. I loved the characters and thought it was very wittily written, especially the lines given to characters like Reg and his best mate, Ron. I don't think I ever laughed out loud, but that doesn't matter. You can enjoy a comedy without actually laughing at it. Although it did make me smile!
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Birds of a feather was never that funny either but had good characters. Also marks and gran like sweetheart.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really weird I put Outnumbered on have never laughed at it, all the kids are annoying the parents are terrible actors but I kept putting it on and sitting there going "why am I watching this? What am i doing?"
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ever Decreasing Circles but i never really laughed out loud at it, Just enjoy watching it for the cast and Storylines.:)
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Goodnight Sweetheart wasn't affraid to be serious and I think it would've been an even better show without the audience.The first three series in particular were more comedy/drama anyway IMO.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's certinly how I judge sitcoms.
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Foot in the Grave wasn't always laugh out loud funny, but it was brilliantly written and acted. I don't actually like sitcoms, especially when they have an audience laughter track but I stumbled across OFITG on TV one day. It was an episode set entirely in a car - Victor, Margaret and a friend were stuck on the motorway in a traffic jam. Despite this, I never got bored, the dialogue was so brilliantly written - and I don't think I laughed out loud either but I enjoyed it and it has stuck in my mind for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What genre was Auf Wiedersen Pet?

It may not have technically qualified as a sitcoms but had the laugh count, intended or not of many sitcoms. Minder probably too, to a lesser degree so surely you can watch sitcoms the way you watch those?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    One Foot in the Grave wasn't always laugh out loud funny, but it was brilliantly written and acted. I don't actually like sitcoms, especially when they have an audience laughter track but I stumbled across OFITG on TV one day. It was an episode set entirely in a car - Victor, Margaret and a friend were stuck on the motorway in a traffic jam. Despite this, I never got bored, the dialogue was so brilliantly written - and I don't think I laughed out loud either but I enjoyed it and it has stuck in my mind for years.

Not even when the car mechanics had recorded a song for Victor on his cassette tape? Genius!
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful ITV stuff like The Upper Hand, Duty Free and Surgical Spirit were a desert of laugh free tedium but one found oneself watching it anyway.
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even when the car mechanics had recorded a song for Victor on his cassette tape? Genius!

oh that was hilarious.
    i agrree about Not Going Out. loved it but never laughed once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember ever laughing too much, if at all at Just Good Friends. Hi de Hi only sporadically but enjoyed them both, especially the latter.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    What genre was Auf Wiedersen Pet?

It may not have technically qualified as a sitcoms but had the laugh count, intended or not of many sitcoms. Minder probably too, to a lesser degree so surely you can watch sitcoms the way you watch those?

Aufpet was a comedy drama but was definetly funnier than alot of sitcoms IMO.The dialogue and the actor's delivery were hilarious.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I suppose Goodnight Sweetheart did work well as a piece of 1940s nostalgia, even if you were to remove the humour and one liners from it.
    Which, let's be honest, wouldn't take very long.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin and Stacey for me.

There have been a couple of moments here and there that made me laugh a LOT. But on the whole I don't find it all that funny, but it's very enjoyable and relatable. All the different characters within a family and how they react to the in-laws etc is all very real and I find the show very "heart warming" for want of a better term.

One Foot in the Grave too. Makes me chuckle here and there but it's the great writing and the acting of the two leads that makes it so great. Love Jonathan Creek for that reason, written by the same person.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody have comedy shows that they have loved but never found funny?
    Bread didn't make me laugh but Butterflies did.:D