Pride and Prejudice - 200 Years Old according to BBC News

SultrydivaSultrydiva Posts: 211
Forum Member
Pride and Prejudice is 200 years old now and they were discussing the stories long lasting appeal, which adaptation was liked best and the difference between the books and the tv and film adaptations. Even though l love the BBC adaptation with Colin Firth my first love will always be for the book.

Which do you all prefer the book or the adaptations? Also why do you think it has had such a lasting appeal?

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appeal is largely down to the appeal of Mr Darcy, whose initial moody reserve , and subsequent opening up of his sensitive passionate side, blend and balance to give him a superior charisma and interest.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appeal is largely down to the appeal of Mr Darcy, whose initial moody reserve , and subsequent opening up of his sensitive passionate side, blend and balance to give him a superior charisma and interest.

This ^^ and my favourite version is the black and white Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson one with Andrew Davies' BBC adaptation with Jennifer Earle and Colin Firth an incredibly close second. I also rather like the TV mini series Lost In Austen which takes a new look at the novel and is rather funny.
  • SultrydivaSultrydiva Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    This ^^ and my favourite version is the black and white Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson one with Andrew Davies' BBC adaptation with Jennifer Earle and Colin Firth an incredibly close second. I also rather like the TV mini series Lost In Austen which takes a new look at the novel and is rather funny.

Not sure l've seen the Laurence Olivier version - if l have it was a very time ago! I wish they would repeat it on tv sometime. Hopefully with P & P's birthday maybe they will.

I also like Lost in Austen but it's a very hard watch because l keep shouting at the tv "Nooooo...! or Stop...! Your messing things up!" My daughter bought me the book version with Zombies and said she'd watch Lost in Austen if l read that book. (She's another 'shouter at the telly when P & P is going wrong - oringinally totally refused to watch Lost in Austen - said she couldn't bare it! Very passionate P & P fans in my house!:D) Still can't read that book - just can't get my head around Lizzie being a 'zombie slayer'!:eek:
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Pride and Prejudice when I read the book and seen the Colin Firth version and I enjoyed Lost in Austen. But I have since gone of P&P and prefer Persuasion much better IMO.Give me Captain Wentworth over Darcy any day.
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I love the 1995 series with Colin Firth, the Keira Knightley movie, and Lost in Austen.

For some reason I have never got around to reading the book. I feel like I don't need to, as lazy as that sounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the film with Keira Knightly had the best Darcy but didn't like they way she looked a bit scruffy and poor. Read the book at school and the teacher kept stopping to give us a history lesson on the text and thought it was a good book. Read it again recently and found it boring, funny how your taste changes.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I'm currently re-reading the book (onto Chapter 9 as of today).

The only adaptation I have seen is the 1995 series, which I think did it justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I love the book, it's one of my favourites. The BBC adaptation is great, I didn't really rate Keira Knightly in the film. Lost in Austen was also good, but oh my word, Mr Collins went from being a simpering idiot in the book/BBC series to a real creepy perv in that. Possibly a step too far?
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »

The costumes looked ridiculous in that early version. I understand the time period was made later than the book so that the makers of the film could use the lavish costumes instead of the correct dresses for that period. It spoilt the whole look of the film I think.
    My favourite was and is the Colin Firth adaptation, none of the others come close in my opinion.
    He was the perfect Mr Darcy...
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I'm not a Keira Knightley fan, I love the film version, as much for the beautiful scenery as anything. I think also the flavour of being part of a large family of girls is portrayed really well. The day after the ball when they are all ravenous at breakfast, and the scene when they are all lounging around doing nothing, then Mr Bingley is announced and they rush round tidying up, then sit demurely with their needlework are priceless. :)

I like the way the dances aren't the elegant, formal affairs as they are usually shown, but much more exuberant and fun.

But the main reason it is my favourite is the wonderful Matthew McFadyen as Mr Darcy. :) (Although I admit to being gobsmacked at the wet-shirted Colin Firth. One of the sexiest scenes ever!)

The book is just perfect - wonderful story, great characters, superbly well written and just so witty!

It's not my favourite Jane, though - that's Persuasion.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I really liked Pride and Prejudice when I read the book and seen the Colin Firth version and I enjoyed Lost in Austen. But I have since gone of P&P and prefer Persuasion much better IMO.Give me Captain Wentworth over Darcy any day.

agreed! i adore Captain Wentworth *sighs*
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I too enjoyed Persuasion, I thought Rupert Penry Jones made an excellent Captain Wentworth..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I really disliked P&P, probably because it was one of the books for my O levels. Then when I was about 20 I picked the book up again and started reading. I've read it almost every year since (a long time) so much so I could almost quote it verbatim. And every time I find some slight thing I've missed.

Out of the films and TV adaptions I've watched Anthony Davies' BBC adaption IMO is closest to the book. The only things I disliked about that adaption was Lydia skidding around the house half-dressed on the evening of the Netherfield Ball, and that kiss at the end.

All I've ever wanted to do at the Laurence Olivier and Keira Knightly films is shout at them that that's not what is in the book. I think probably the only scenes some of the book's words are used is in Darcy's proposal scene at Vicarage, and possibly Mr.Collins' proposal. It made me wonder at the time whether the scriptwriters ever read the book.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I too enjoyed Persuasion, I thought Rupert Penry Jones made an excellent Captain Wentworth..

Agreed! And I thought Sally Hawkins was lovely as Anne.

I love the bit where she says "Sir, I am in receipt of your proposal, and am minded to accept". Gets me teary every time.

You can tell I watch these films a lot, can't you?:D

I know they are not true to the books in many ways, but I don't really mind. I read the books as well, so I have the best of both worlds.

The only book of Jane's I don't like is Mansfield Park - I don't like the TV adaptation much (with Billie Piper) either.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Along with Charlotte Brontë's 'Jane Eyre', one of my favourite books. As with 'Jane Eyre', dramatisations have rarely done it justice. I did enjoy the 1980s BBC serialisation of P & P, but I think the version with Colin Firth is unsurpassed, at present. It's faithful enough to the book not to have me cringing, as some of the others have.
  • SultrydivaSultrydiva Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I love the 1995 series with Colin Firth, the Keira Knightley movie, and Lost in Austen.

For some reason I have never got around to reading the book. I feel like I don't need to, as lazy as that sounds.

Have a go at reading the book - no matter how good the adaptations are they can never quite capture Austen's dry wit.
    sweetcorn wrote: »
    I think the film with Keira Knightly had the best Darcy but didn't like they way she looked a bit scruffy and poor. Read the book at school and the teacher kept stopping to give us a history lesson on the text and thought it was a good book. Read it again recently and found it boring, funny how your taste changes.

Noooo......!!!!! Never!:eek:
    KittyB wrote: »
    I love the book, it's one of my favourites. The BBC adaptation is great, I didn't really rate Keira Knightly in the film. Lost in Austen was also good, but oh my word, Mr Collins went from being a simpering idiot in the book/BBC series to a real creepy perv in that. Possibly a step too far?

I know Mr Collins really was creepy, though l also wasn't sure about Miss Bingley being gay and Mr Wickham being 'miss-understood'.