Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree with so many on here but that mattress was just awful. I was manager of four holiday homes and would never have let a mattress in that condition be in any of them. The room wasnt clean, there were several other things that left it lacking.

However, it just shows that the two woman running the B&B do not know what standards are required and prove an earlier point I made that thinking they can start a B&B without any training and thinking the room was clean also meant they didnt check their staff or trained their staff to the correct levels.

The fact that the women who complained were dislikeable does not change the fact that the room was not of a standard. If the rooms were not cleaned correctly, what other things were not to the correct levels required by the Food ands Hygiene regulations.

Hopefully it will be a wake up call to the owner of the B&B to get some training, there are courses available, a check list of cleaning chores will ensure all areas are cleaned and checked to be immaculate.

I feel the complainers are being targeted on a "shoot the messenger" basis on here and misplaced sympathy for the failings of owner, who if it is realised checked every nook and cranny of all the other rooms and didnt hold back in their feedback.

Thank you...cors when I watched the programme tonight I said if I`d found a mattress in that condition , I wouldn`t have stayed there either.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think more people are complaining about the way they complained and the timing of the complaint. They did not give the blondes time to prepare another room and made the announcement in front of everybody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    Thank you...cors when I watched the programme tonight I said if I`d found a mattress in that condition , I wouldn`t have stayed there either.

Understood, yeh. But you probably wouldn't have complained about it in front of the other guests (although I'm sure the programme makers instigated the timing of the complaint, for entertainment value)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I feel Veronica has a bit of an 'age' problem as she has mentioned this a couple of times (if I was younger!). Bit of a bitter woman IMO

Oh I wish people would stop using age as an excuse/explanation. I know as a (nearly) 66 year old I tend to speak my mind a little more but I also listen a lot more. I reckon that rude older people were once rude young people
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Oh I wish people would stop using age as an excuse/explanation. I know as a (nearly) 66 year old I tend to speak my mind a little more but I also listen a lot more. I reckon that rude older people were once rude young people.

I'm not excusing them on age, I think they are a pair of old witches if they were younger I'd just call them a pair of witches:p
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to disagree with so many on here but that mattress was just awful. I was manager of four holiday homes and would never have let a mattress in that condition be in any of them. The room wasnt clean, there were several other things that left it lacking.

However, it just shows that the two woman running the B&B do not know what standards are required and prove an earlier point I made that thinking they can start a B&B without any training and thinking the room was clean also meant they didnt check their staff or trained their staff to the correct levels.

The fact that the women who complained were dislikeable does not change the fact that the room was not of a standard. If the rooms were not cleaned correctly, what other things were not to the correct levels required by the Food ands Hygiene regulations.

Hopefully it will be a wake up call to the owner of the B&B to get some training, there are courses available, a check list of cleaning chores will ensure all areas are cleaned and checked to be immaculate.

I feel the complainers are being targeted on a "shoot the messenger" basis on here and misplaced sympathy for the failings of owner, who if it is realised checked every nook and cranny of all the other rooms and didn't hold back in their feedback.

I think that's perfectly understandable, but I have a problem with the way it was brought up at dinner. I can't see why they didn't call Helen to the room at the time, Helen wasn't given a chance to offer to put it right, we didn't get the chance to see how Helen would have reacted and handled the complaint.

I think if they feel they can't stay, or refuse to return for breakfast, then they shouldn't be filling in the form, as they haven't spent the night, or tested out the service.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    Gillie, I can see what you're saying and yes, there were other issues, as highlighted by Paul, but there's a way of raising them and also of giving the host a chance to put them right. I agree that Helen should be checking and monitoring staff more thoroughly, but I think she will now.
    I did say that maybe Veronica's timing was dictated by the crew, but she could have declined to do that, she had said that she'd be discreet and was anything but.

I don't have a problem with old stains on a mattress which has been cleaned/washed, which I thought I heard that it had been, and which is then dressed with a cover before the sheet.
    It's been said on here before that if hotels had to dispose of mattresses every time they were, they'd be changing them all the time.

There were a few things I noticed - lack of proper bedside tables for example, but then, it's rooms above a pub and they had got something in place - plus it's in an area of natural beauty, so for £75 for two, with a breakfast that was well complimented, I don't think that's bad.

Above all it's the fact that the others didn't agree with the criticism that got me, particularly as Ben and Katie's place is so lovely and that Paul is very thorough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I'm not excusing them on age, I think they are a pair of old witches if they were younger I'd just call them a pair of witches:p

Now, now I know a couple of perfectly nice witches.;)
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Now, now I know a couple of perfectly nice witches.;)

haha sorry I thought you thought I was defending them on age grounds:o
    Yes there's the odd nice witch out there, particularly white ones;)
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, good to get views on the programme.

I do think that the complainers are getting a bit of a rough ride, they chose their time and place which they felt was right, they might not have wanted to stay in that room or any other after finding out about the first one, it would have been awful and compound the problem if they found other faults in another room as the other man also said there was dust. They could have told the owners privately but I do think the programme makers would have wanted it the way it was filmed.

The bottom line (for me) was that the room was not up to the standard and down only to the owners failings. If this had not happened, the problem would not have arisen.

I laugh when I think back to a holiday home I booked quite near to the arrival date. I made sure all my homes were covered by staff and were as immaculate as possible on a four hour turnaround. Upon my arrival, the place was tidy but when I went to cook the oven had old food left in it, the beds were unmade although stripped and I could have cried. I complained and the lady came and cleaned the oven and made the beds and I let her know I was far from pleased. Hoiwever, I did feel sorry for the woman, she said she hadnt realised our booking was this week and apologised. Through the week I saw her run a sheep farm single handedly and looking after a family and several holiday homes. I could only marvel at her hard work and think myself lucky that I had staff to do what she had to do alone.

I have lots of hilarious stories about my time and my guests, I am sure it will all turn out right in the end for the owners, a bit embarassing at first but the problems are easily put right and lessons will be learned.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I think if they feel they can't stay, or refuse to return for breakfast, then they shouldn't be filling in the form, as they haven't spent the night, or tested out the service.

I agree. I remember similar posts when Amanda didnt stay the night or return for breakfast....how can they fill in a form when they havent stayed overnight or experienced the breakfast :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I remember similar posts when Amanda didnt stay the night or return for breakfast....how can they fill in a form when they havent stayed overnight or experienced the breakfast :confused:

Amanda and her husband also called Del up to the room to talk to him immediately and tell him of their intention not to stay.
    i can't remember if they attended the dinner though. Why can't I remember, when I only watched it a few weeks ago? Oh dear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The bottom line (for me) was that the room was not up to the standard and down only to the owners failings. If this had not happened, the problem would not have arisen.

But actually I think the room WAS up to standard. On the face of it, yes, a bit of dust was found but that's nothing new on this show. You could have the most sterilised room and this lot would find dust somewhere...

It was a mattress with a few stains on. Yes, ideally its not acceptable but I dont think it was as bad as they made out. It was hardly really deep, brown, huge stains...to me it looked like watermarks. Now I never look at mattresses when I'm away but it didnt seem bad enough not to sleep on it.

How many of us ever look at mattresses when we stay away? There has been worse shown on this show than the one tonight.
    Forum Member

They only left feedback for the time they stayed and wrote not applicable for the other criteria, seems OK to me.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Gillie, I

Above all it's the fact that the others didn't agree with the criticism that got me, particularly as Ben and Katie's place is so lovely and that Paul is very thorough.

Given the slight frostiness between Paul and the blondes previously I would have guessed that he might be the difficult customer tonight. I'm sure he'll give his honest opinion tomorrow.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Would you stay again? How could they comment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Amanda and her husband also called Del up to the room to talk to him immediately and tell him of their intention not to stay.
    i can't remember if they attended the dinner though. Why can't I remember, when I only watched it a few weeks ago? Oh dear.

From memory, I dont think think they stayed for dinner and stayed away for breakfast too....
    Forum Member
    But actually I think the room WAS up to standard. On the face of it, yes, a bit of dust was found but that's nothing new on this show. You could have the most sterilised room and this lot would find dust somewhere...

It was a mattress with a few stains on. Yes, ideally its not acceptable but I dont think it was as bad as they made out. It was hardly really deep, brown, huge stains...to me it looked like watermarks. Now I never look at mattresses when I'm away but it didnt seem bad enough not to sleep on it.

How many of us ever look at mattresses when we stay away? There has been worse shown on this show than the one tonight.

Sorry but the room was not up to standard, there was a lot more wrong with it than dust, the owners knew the mattress was stained and even when she knew she was going on TV how silly was that? What about the mildew, what about the dirty biscuit jar, the smell.

Lets face it, some have different standards they require to others, but if the owner is happy to take the money then the basic required is a clean room and bed.

I dont particulaly care for those two who complained, but it is their right to complain and if they got the timing wrong, it still isnt their fault they had something to complain about.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel the complainers are being targeted on a "shoot the messenger" basis on here and misplaced sympathy for the failings of owner, who if it is realised checked every nook and cranny of all the other rooms and didnt hold back in their feedback.

It wasnt clean but it was not awful, it was stained, full stop. They went overboard like prissy fussy bitter middle aged ladies sometimes do.

It doesnt make one cleaner, more particular or better than another to make a huge fuss unnecessarily, it makes one an attention seeking pain.

The style of complaining was awful and I cant see why anyone would seek to defend them as, regardless of how one views the mattress, unless the host had put a huge dog turd in the bed, it could have been handled with more decency.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Gillie, I can see what you're saying and yes, there were other issues, as highlighted by Paul, but there's a way of raising them and also of giving the host a chance to put them right. I agree that Helen should be checking and monitoring staff more thoroughly, but I think she will now.
    I did say that maybe Veronica's timing was dictated by the crew, but she could have declined to do that, she had said that she'd be discreet and was anything but.

I don't have a problem with old stains on a mattress which has been cleaned/washed, which I thought I heard that it had been, and which is then dressed with a cover before the sheet.
    It's been said on here before that if hotels had to dispose of mattresses every time they were, they'd be changing them all the time.

There were a few things I noticed - lack of proper bedside tables for example, but then, it's rooms above a pub and they had got something in place - plus it's in an area of natural beauty, so for £75 for two, with a breakfast that was well complimented, I don't think that's bad.

This. ^^^ Spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From memory, I dont think think they stayed for dinner and stayed away for breakfast too....

Ah, thank you. I didn't think they stayed for brekkie, but am blank about dinner.

I think the breakfast is a major part of the experience.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but the room was not up to standard, there was a lot more wrong with it than dust, the owners knew the mattress was stained and even when she knew she was going on TV how silly was that? What about the mildew, what about the dirty biscuit jar, the smell.

Lets face it, some have different standards they require to others, but if the owner is happy to take the money then the basic required is a clean room and bed.

Why are you sorry? :confused:

You didnt inspect the room or smell anything. we often see people in FIAB finding dust by shoving their fingers into onscure crevices or holding up a used glass thats been missed. It does not equal dirty.

The other guests think it's fine. not perfect but ok. Good and bad. I guess you think their standards are lower. BUT remember that they also found issues at V&S's place.
    Forum Member
    It wasnt clean but it was not awful, it was stained, full stop. They went overboard like prissy fussy bitter middle aged ladies sometimes do.

It doesnt make one cleaner, more particular or better than another to make a huge fuss unnecessarily, it makes one an attention seeking pain.

The style of complaining was awful and I cant see why anyone would seek to defend them as, regardless of how one views the mattress, unless the host had put a huge dog turd in the bed, it could have been handled with more decency.

When people complain, it is never the right time to be on the end of it. I have been on both sides and can see both points of view. I think all this has been deliberately manipulated to bring about a confrontation by the programme makers. I think tomorrow will see an argument where neither side come out of it with any integrity, exactly what the programme makers require.

I meant "sorry" to disagree, nothing more, have you stopped to think what might have happened to the mattress, urine, vomit, other bodily fluids, blood, excreta?
    Forum Member

:D I hope BIB is on next week.
    And agreed what a lot of fuss over a not great but minor matter. Shame the owner said it was her daughters old mattress, poor girl:cool:
This discussion has been closed.