More torrent sites blocked?

Comments

• jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not, but they could go through an awful lot of hassle unless, as you suggest, great care was taken to ensure that no such person was never accused in the first place.

Better still, would be if the rip-off merchants marketing vastly overpriced music, movies and software arranged for digital only 'rush release' copies of their wares to be legitimately available for, let's say 25p per MP3 and possibly 75p per movie, and maybe a whole £1 for a program. Obviously, these would be just the main product, no extras, no blu-ray, no printed manual, no case, etc, etc.

There is no financial impediment to doing this, it's only unrelenting greed that stops them. If prices were fair, people would buy rather than go for illegal copies. This theory is already proven beyond any doubt by both the Android Marketplace (now Google Play) and iOS App Store, with something like half a million apps between them, few of which are regularly pirated.

You're right that content providers need to be more progressive in their thinking - that is clearly part of the anti-piracy solution, and whereas physical music has for a while been at the centre of price wars with the big supermarkets and on-line retailers looking to undercut each other on big new releases, that price war hasn't really transferred to the digital market - at least when it comes to stand alone tracks.

I'm less convinced though that more competitive pricing is the whole solution. There is a whole new generation of maybe 13-20 year old's who have grown up with illegal download and file sharing sites. They are used to thinking music is free and getting those attitudes to change will be a huge job - even if content becomes available at much lower prices.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    They are used to thinking music is free and getting those attitudes to change will be a huge job - even if content becomes available at much lower prices.

Sure, but constantly threatening them - or anyone - with a big stick is always going to be counter-productive. As for the farce of requiring ISPs to block well known download sites, it beggars belief that those who are so rabid to control and contain fail completely to understand that every single time something like Napster is shut down, a dozen more sites will spring up to replace them.

Manufactures cannot ever win by trying to blunderbuss punters. The only way they will survive is to make buying more attractive. As I was saying earlier, this already works for Android and Apple.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I hope all such sites get banned, and I wish bad things to happen to people who download illegally.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suncity wrote: »
    I hope all such sites get banned, and I wish bad things to happen to people who download illegally.

These sites getting banned doesn't do anything in the slightest two minutes later everyone is back on them, I think there are far worse sites which should be banned I hate to think how far the web really goes.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a major problem - there would be no need to rewrite entire acts, tabling an amendment to existing legislation would be sufficient and happens all the time as laws evolve to keep up with and reflect changes in technology. It almost certainly will happen at some point too as relating theft purely to the removal of physical property is an outdated definition.

Can't come soon enough for me!

The law is not as simple as you think, if it was why has it not been done by now, theft is not just removal of physical property, joy riders do not get charged with theft, they get charaged with taking without owners consent. because they have only borrowed it so it is not theft
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only problem with that is, that joy riders often torch the cars they take without consent, so if it's borrowing, then what the
    owners would get back is a burnt out wreck. The fact still remains, theft is permanently depriving an individual, a group
    of people, a company or organisation of an item (or items) of property. Some ignorant fools choose to deny that fact.

It was reported recently (not for the first time) that online music piracy doesn't actually harm the sales of recorded music.
    Anyone that says otherwise is either stupid or ignorant, or both. In the case of the BPI and the RIAA ... definitely both!
    The pigopolists are dumb if they think they can stop it by forcing the courts to censor the internet. They never learn.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a bloke in a car pulls up and I can hear his speakers through the open window *thud thud thud*, should I be paying royalties for the crap he's listening to?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    Only problem with that is, that joy riders often torch the cars they take without consent, so if it's borrowing, then what the
    owners would get back is a burnt out wreck. The fact still remains, theft is permanently depriving an individual, a group
    of people, a company or organisation of an item (or items) of property. Some ignorant fools choose to deny that fact.

It was reported recently (not for the first time) that online music piracy doesn't actually harm the sales of recorded music.
    Anyone that says otherwise is either stupid or ignorant, or both. In the case of the BPI and the RIAA ... definitely both!
    The pigopolists are dumb if they think they can stop it by forcing the courts to censor the internet. They never learn.

Yes you are right if they burn the car they are charged with theft . but if they just dump it not theft. Why they keep going to the courts to ban sites is just a waste of time, but i supose they have to be seen doing something. Untill all countrys come togeather the internet in alot of ways is un policeable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Untill all countrys come togeather the internet in alot of ways is un policeable

The internet is just a load of 0's and 1's. The only way to police/stop the internet is to ban the figures 0 and 1. All people are doing is thieving/borrowing/using/sharing the numbers 0 and 1.

I suppose!
  • OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will governments realise that the internet cannot be policed, If they are that serious about it - go after the paedophile sites. That would a much better way of doing something positive, Do I care if the likes if Elton John, Paul McCartney, Plan B, Oasis or film studios losing money. No - not a jot. I do care about innocent young children being victimised though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phrase "p*ssing in the wind" always springs to mind when they do something like this.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnbold wrote: »
    When will governments realise that the internet cannot be policed, If they are that serious about it - go after the paedophile sites. That would a much better way of doing something positive, Do I care if the likes if Elton John, Paul McCartney, Plan B, Oasis or film studios losing money. No - not a jot. I do care about innocent young children being victimised though.

The point I was making exactly.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blocked here on BT as well.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blocked here on BT as well.

No worries:D See posts 23 and 34
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member

Probably the most ridiculous, immature post, I have ever had the displeasure of reading on the entire DS site.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the most ridiculous, immature post, I have ever had the displeasure of reading on the entire DS site.:rolleyes:

I've seen worse on here. Best not to feed the trolls.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    The thing is in law its not Theft and you would have to rewrite the whole Theft Act, and redine what Theft is, which will never be that easy

Exactly. Some will call it theft no matter what facts get presented to them. I think some take too much notice of what these scaremongering FBI adverts say not long after a DVD starts.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not, but they could go through an awful lot of hassle unless, as you suggest, great care was taken to ensure that no such person was never accused in the first place.

Better still, would be if the rip-off merchants marketing vastly overpriced music, movies and software arranged for digital only 'rush release' copies of their wares to be legitimately available for, let's say 25p per MP3 and possibly 75p per movie, and maybe a whole £1 for a program. Obviously, these would be just the main product, no extras, no blu-ray, no printed manual, no case, etc, etc.

There is no financial impediment to doing this, it's only unrelenting greed that stops them. If prices were fair, people would buy rather than go for illegal copies. This theory is already proven beyond any doubt by both the Android Marketplace (now Google Play) and iOS App Store, with something like half a million apps between them, few of which are regularly pirated.

I thought the piracy on Android was rampant (IOS is better but it's still a problem) .

I've seen devs saying their $0.99 Android games had anywhere from an 80% to 99% piracy rate depending on the region.

Even stuff like the indie games "humble bundle" (where the money goes to charity) had a 25% piracy rate..even though you could buy it for 1p.

Plenty will pirate regardless of the fairness of pricing.
  • OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why :confused:
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey .. :eek:
    You need to take stock of what is important in life :o
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The discussion over if it's theft or not is pointless. But it is getting something for nothing, and it is ultimately damaging. There's plenty of people which just wouldn't pay anything at all.

If you love good movies and good games and good music, then please pay something for the ones you do love, otherwise they just won't get made.
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Before DVRS/NVRS 100s of 1000s of people used to break the law every day by recording tv shows onto vhs then maybe a friend or relative would ask to borrow said video. This was all illegal and it's these same people nowadays that like to moan about illegal downloads.
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    People just don't understand what piracy does. No wonder music, movies and TV are crap these days... Only got yourselves to blame when there is none left.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    powar wrote: »
    People just don't understand what piracy does. No wonder music, movies and TV are crap these days... Only got yourselves to blame when there is none left.

no, we have Simon Cowell to blame for most of the mass produced crap in the charts these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    powar wrote: »

Bring it on :D

A lot of music (can't speak for movies/TV, I watch so little) is absolute garbage and the "writers", "artists" and companies shouldn't earn a penny from it.

In fact, they should pay us to endure it.