Easy to change Telephone number?

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
Forum Member
✭✭
Ever since I subscribed to NTL, my land line has been plagued by sales calls, calls for people who are not even here, and general rubbish that has forced me to unplug my phone.

If I call NTL, is it easy for them to switch me to another number?

Will they refuse? If I threaten to switch to BT, will they suddenly realise they can? ;)

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    register your number with tps it takes 2 minutes - Sales calls will stop within about 2-4 weeks -

You will get less than one call a month within 8 weeks.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
  • m419m419 Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is not NTL's fault.

To bar sales calls, just call TPS on 0800-398-893, and use the automated service or use their website: www.tps-online.org.uk

If you still recieve sales calls after the 28 days you've registered, you will need to request a complaint form where you can write down the details of the sales calls.

After you recieve a sales call(After 28 day registration period) You need to do the following:

Dial 1471 and write down the number the sales call came from.

Write down the name of the company or sales agent that called you.

Try and get the sales agents name and details.

And don't forget to write down the times and dates of the sales calls being recieved.

The company can then loose their licences to trade by telephone and fax if they continue to contact people who have regsitered with the TPS.

Alternatively, if you want to change your number, then you can do this by calling NTL Customer service and tell them that you would like to change your number because nuicence and unwanted calls and they will probably pass you on to the sensitive information bureau/Nuicence calls department. They can arange for you telephone number to be change free of charge. However you will be charged up to £30 if you change your number for the second time, so becareful! And remeber to make your new number ex-directory.

Once you've changed your number, register with the TPS as soon as you get your new number and add anonymous caller rejection, plus always withold your number when dialling out.

If you have your own answer machine or NTL Voicemail and have recorded your personal greeting, then include your name,any telephone numbers or addresses. When anybody rings, just say 'Hello', if the caller asks who's that or what number is that, ask them who they are looking for and tell them whether they are right or wrong. This is how the sales callers find out your details and pass the information to many different companies all over the world!

If you follow the above information, you will not encounter any more problems.

In the meantime before you change your number, just gently put the phone down when you know it's a sales call, they will finally get the message that your simply not interested in what they've to offer!

(You can also register a mobile number and a digital pager wih the TPS.) The TPS no longer has powers over the silent calls, please contact cold calls direct.
    Ever since I subscribed to NTL, my land line has been plagued by sales calls, calls for people who are not even here, and general rubbish that has forced me to unplug my phone.

If I call NTL, is it easy for them to switch me to another number?

Will they refuse? If I threaten to switch to BT, will they suddenly realise they can? ;)

Thanks.