Killzone Shadow fall will be 50Gb download

stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
Forum Member
As title says, Sony have said that the digital version of KZ shadow fall will be around 50Gb :eek:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/killzone-shadow-fall-file-size-is-50gb-6415113

If thats a sign of things to come then as PS+ subscriber I think i'll be buying a 1tb (Or maybe larger) Hard drive pretty quickly.

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As title says, Sony have said that the digital version of KZ shadow fall will be around 50Gb :eek:

If thats a sign of things to come then as PS+ subscriber I think i'll be buying a 1tb (Or maybe larger) Hard drive pretty quickly.

Ouch! But with the "increase" in graphics etc to be expected!

I wonder if you install from the disk if this will be a similar value?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

Same as KZ3
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so people know, whether you buy digital or physical, that almost-50GB is going on your HDD.

Both PS4 and Xbox One fully install the games from the disc to the HDD to reduce load times.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure size of ps4 hdd but really should be coming with 1tb in my opinion
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Not sure size of ps4 hdd but really should be coming with 1tb in my opinion
    A 1TB HDD would increase the cost.

All we need to know is if there is a HDD height restriction in the PS4 like there is in the PS3. If there isn't then we can upgrade to 2TB 2.5" SATAs.

If we're still stuck at 9.5mm then 1TB is unfortunately still the highest capacity available (and has been since 2010 :mad:).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    A 1TB HDD would increase the cost.

All we need to know is if there is a HDD height restriction in the PS4 like there is in the PS3. If there isn't then we can upgrade to 2TB 2.5" SATAs.

If we're still stuck at 9.5mm then 1TB is unfortunately still the highest capacity available (and has been since 2010 :mad:).
    There is a 1.5TB one now from Hitachi - not sure if commercially available yet though.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Just imagine how this is going to work in broadband Britain with people with capped downloads and limited speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many ISPs have traffic limits these days. Mostly just budget plans with a couple of ISPs and to be honest if you want to get free or cheap broadband then deal with the consequences.

Shaping is another issue.

Don't forget the PS4 will support pre-loading, so you can download games in advance of release.
  • Anime_FanAnime_Fan Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    Just so people know, whether you buy digital or physical, that almost-50GB is going on your HDD.

Both PS4 and Xbox One fully install the games from the disc to the HDD to reduce load times.
    Thought it was only partial install's like on the ps3?

If your forced to install everything to the hdd be it a physical or digital copy then im going to hold off on buying a ps4.

if i wanted to install everything onto my hdd then i'd upgrade my pc, as it is the mandatory install's is the biggest reason why i don't buy my games on the pc.

i'd rather by physical, pop the disc in & play off the disc without having to worry about hdd space & what i may need to uninstall just to be able to play my new game that i brought a physical copy of.

honestly, there is so much bs like this that i hate about both the ps4 & xbox one that i may just never buy either & stick with my old systems instead :mad:
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anime_Fan wrote: »
    Thought it was only partial install's like on the ps3?

If your forced to install everything to the hdd be it a physical or digital copy then im going to hold off on buying a ps4.

if i wanted to install everything onto my hdd then i'd upgrade my pc, as it is the mandatory install's is the biggest reason why i don't buy my games on the pc.

i'd rather by physical, pop the disc in & play off the disc without having to worry about hdd space & what i may need to uninstall just to be able to play my new game that i brought a physical copy of.

honestly, there is so much bs like this that i hate about both the ps4 & xbox one that i may just never buy either & stick with my old systems instead :mad:

Mark Cerny explained it in an interview. The disc installs to the HDD in the background whilst you are playing.

Eventually the entire (or vast majority) of the disc will be on the HDD and you'll only need the disc in the drive for verification reasons.

It's a good thing as it reduces wear-and-tear on the drive and will help reduce load times.

Cerny said (from article):
    "So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

To further help the Blu-ray along, the system also has a unit to support zlib decompression -- so developers can confidently compress all of their game data and know the system will decode it on the fly. "As a minimum, our vision is that our games are zlib compressed on media," said Cerny.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3
  • Anime_FanAnime_Fan Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I know how it works, Still don't like it because it means that your constantly having to check hdd space, delete stuff, reinstall stuff, try & figure out what you want to keep & what you want to delete to gain space.

If I buy a physical copy on the disc then I don't want it installed to the hdd, i just want to put the disc in & play without having to first think "wonder if i have enough hdd space to play this, no right which of these games I still play will i be forced to delete".

If I want something installed on my hdd then i'll buy it digitally, If i want to install a physical game then have it as an option (like on the xb360), don't force everybody to have to install everything.

all these ridiculous mandatory install's will do is ensure that your going to run out of hdd space constantly & be in constant need of larger hdd's, especially as game sizes increase.

ok to some this may be a non-issue & my complaints may be seen as silly, However to me its an big issue, its something i don't like, something i don't want & something which i feel should be an option (like on the xb360) & not forced upon you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    There is a 1.5TB one now from Hitachi - not sure if commercially available yet though.
    Interesing. I've just found one from Toshiba, their MQ Series and it's 9.5mm too. One place is doing it for £87, the other shops are all over £100.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This new video shows what that 50GB is being used for.

http://youtu.be/G8UhrlEx8ho

Wow..... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new video shows what that 50GB is being used for.

http://youtu.be/G8UhrlEx8ho

Wow..... :eek:

That looks nice and pretty.

And there was me again thinking of cancelling the pre-order.

I hope it has the gameplay etc to match (fingers crossed!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think that this is a deal breaker in terms of making the jump to PS4 / Xbone but still think 50gb is a huge install.

Lets be fair you have to do a fair bit of "space saving" on the ps3 already,with old games being deleted to make room for the new ones you get on PS+ for instance.

The main selling point is that at least you can play the game while its downloading but no one has answered, can you play a game from mid point save/checkpoint or is it a matter of having to wait until that section of the game is downloaded first?

Anyone on here considering buying a 1tb drive to upgrade the PS4 straight away or going to wait and see how this plays out?

I hear from IGN that the PS4's top section comes off allowing direct access to the drive for easy upgrading?

The PS3 was a doodle to upgrade so hopefully this will be the case with the PS4 as well.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think that this is a deal breaker in terms of making the jump to PS4 / Xbone but still think 50gb is a huge install.

Lets be fair you have to do a fair bit of "space saving" on the ps3 already,with old games being deleted to make room for the new ones you get on PS+ for instance.

The main selling point is that at least you can play the game while its downloading but no one has answered, can you play a game from mid point save/checkpoint or is it a matter of having to wait until that section of the game is downloaded first?

Anyone on here considering buying a 1tb drive to upgrade the PS4 straight away or going to wait and see how this plays out?

I hear from IGN that the PS4's top section comes off allowing direct access to the drive for easy upgrading?

The PS3 was a doodle to upgrade so hopefully this will be the case with the PS4 as well.

I'll hang-fire for a bit before upgrading. For a start I'll have little spare cash after launch having forked out for the bundle and Watch Dogs, and secondly I'll give it a bit of time to discover what's the best drive to get, and upgrading from 500GB I'll want 1.5TB at least, preferably 2TB if it's available. There doesn't seem much point in "just" doubling HDD size, only to want to upgrade it again in a year or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TB isn't enough now. I've survived 4 years with 1TB on the PS3, I'm going to need more space with the PS4 with these full game installs, so hopefully the PS4 isn't HDD height restrictive and I can sink a nice 2TB 2.5" (12.5mm) SATA in there.
  • Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I bet those with 1Gbps broadband connections, (for example Japan and South Korea and those very lucky few in a select few areas of the UK) will be laughing, to them it will be like downloading a small setup.exe file! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news - the game's gone gold! It's finished and ready to go. Little chance of any delays for this beauty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Game looks amazing (yes I know its a trailer, thats what its supposed to do)
    The story looks to build on the epic ending of KZ3 which in my own view was a very underated game along with the Resistance series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The final version of Killzone will be 39.75Gb, but thanks to the PlayGo system gamers buying it off the PS Store will be able to start playing once they have the first 7.5Gb downloaded.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final version of Killzone will be 39.75Gb, but thanks to the PlayGo system gamers buying it off the PS Store will be able to start playing once they have the first 7.5Gb downloaded.

Sorry IF I'm asking a stupid question! :o but will my killzone bundle include a disk or a download code??? ... I'm not fussed either way (as I have a decent net connection) ... just interested! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Sorry IF I'm asking a stupid question! :o but will my killzone bundle include a disk or a download code??? ... I'm not fussed either way (as I have a decent net connection) ... just interested! :)

Disc I believe.