Wii U....What are your first impressions?

Comments

• ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »

The one thing I can't help notice about the Wii U is it's graphical performance. In my eyes, it trounces what the PS3 can offer. Obviously, with it being new hardware I'd expect this but being a Ninendo loyalist I'm used to below par graphics. I'm glad they've finally stepped up.

The Wii was the only system with below par graphics, a step backwards almost.

But the Snes, N64 and GameCube had the best graphics of their generations.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »

it was about the controller, which everybody else wanted a piece of
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii U started, internet connection test went well, updating at the moment, it's about 10% through
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got my GC on Japanese import. That blew me away. Star Wars Rogue squadron looked incredible and the water in wave race was something else.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. The SNES was only better in terms of Mode 7 and offering fake 3D, other games like Star Fox used additional chips which is not really comparable. Many 2D games on the Mega Drive were more impressive/graphically intensive than similar games on SNES. The N64 I'll give you, the only thing that crippled it was the restrictive cartridge format.

The GameCube however, while powerful was nowhere near on par with the Xbox let alone more powerful. Can you really imagine games like Halo, Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden, Jade Empire or Rallisport Challenge 2 on the GameCube?

If you're talking more on an artistic level than technical then I think the Wii holds up to this gen just fine. It may not be HD but some of the games are gorgeous to look at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The SNES was arguably not even a true 16 bit console compared to the Megadrive, featuring two 8 bit processors rather than one true 16 bit one. As 2D says above, only its Mode 7 capability allowed it to stand out.

I agree with 2D about the Wii too. I think despite the generation difference in graphical capability, it more than held its own expressively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We did the update this morning, took around 1 hour to download and install, not too bad, got all the other updates to do yet but will do them when the unit is free or "as and when".
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Got mine today, loving it! My wii broke a few days ago so I just had to buy a wii u with my Christmas money and vouchers, oh well :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone who got a Wii U for Christmas, don't forget to post your Nintendo Network ID's on the pinned thread of the forum. :)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Everyone who got a Wii U for Christmas, don't forget to post your Nintendo Network ID's on the pinned thread of the forum. :)

soooo true ... we should be arranging games of tekken, blackops, sonic racing etc etc (like in the good old dayz when this place was buzzing) :cool:
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my Wii U. Completely addicted to ZombiU and Batman Arkham Asylum atm. For the first time in quite a while, I'm enjoying gaming on a console again.

Only problem is the bad battery life on the gamepad... it's really causing more problems for me than I thought it would. Oh well. C'est la vie...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I love my Wii U. Completely addicted to ZombiU and Batman Arkham Asylum atm. For the first time in quite a while, I'm enjoying gaming on a console again.

Only problem is the bad battery life on the gamepad... it's really causing more problems for me than I thought it would. Oh well. C'est la vie...

yep ... same here ... you'll just have 2 use a very long USB cable (like me) until that UBoost batterypack (see amazon) arrives in feb. ;)
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    soooo true ... we should be arranging games of tekken, blackops, sonic racing etc etc (like in the good old dayz when this place was buzzing) :cool:

Definitely:)....the next retail game I'm getting will be an online game, so I'll be up for that. Although I'm waiting for the Sonic Racing demo to turn up soon.

Mario Kart when eventually released (I reckon that will be the first game to incorporate 2 gamepads) will liven things up online.

Is Little Inferno any good?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely:)....the next retail game I'm getting will be an online game, so I'll be up for that. Although I'm waiting for the Sonic Racing demo to turn up soon.

Mario Kart when eventually released (I reckon that will be the first game to incorporate 2 gamepads) will liven things up online.

Is Little Inferno any good?

Omg!! A Mario Kart U would be awesome!! I hadn't thought of that, though it is inevitable. I only had Zelda, Pikmin and Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 in the back of my mind.
    2013 will be such a great year for Wii U! :D
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    2013 will be such a great year for Wii U! :D

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I've seen a Wii U premium for what seems a really good price. I'm tempted to treat myself for Christmas, but still not convinced it's worth it. :(

That said, £75 (25%) off the RRP this soon seems like a big drop. Harks back to the massive price drop the N64 saw just weeks after launch. Have sales not been good?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Yeah my son love the zombiu game, what I have seen of it it certainly looks a great game although the graphics are a bit average. Even my husband has had a shot at playing that and he hardly ever plays video games:) Love the way the gamepad is used, the scanning and style of the game reminds me a bit of metroid.

My son has got around 3 hours out of a charge although he has the gampad backlight set to 1. My friend who has had one since launch day says the battery life increases slighty after 5 or 6 charges, her kids get around 4 hours now, but have to agree its very poor, nintendo should have put a higher powered battery in the gampad that could last 6 hours or so especially considering the recharge time is so long.

But it looks a great unit and of course hopefully next year will see a proper mario game plus a new zelda and metroid, and hopefully these will utilise the gamepad to its full potential as well as full 1080p HD rez
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the nintendo network down, or is there any way to tell when there will be downtime

I've not been able to connect today, not sure if the problem is on my end as every other internet connected device is working
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has got around 3 hours out of a charge although he has the gampad backlight set to 1. My friend who has had one since launch day says the battery life increases slighty after 5 or 6 charges, her kids get around 4 hours now, but have to agree its very poor, nintendo should have put a higher powered battery in the gampad that could last 6 hours or so especially considering the recharge time is so long.

would u have been willing to pay an extra £15/20+ for a more powerful battery? /interested :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Is the nintendo network down, or is there any way to tell when there will be downtime

I've not been able to connect today, not sure if the problem is on my end as every other internet connected device is working

mine is fine. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine is fine. :)

SKYYYYYY (in the shatner saying Kahn style)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

If you go to Download Management from your home button, you can see if your connected to your internet. We'd be notified if Nintendo would close the Nintendo Network for maintence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would u have been willing to pay an extra £15/20+ for a more powerful battery? /interested :)

I am sure nintendo could have put a more powerful battery in for pennies and considering the high cost of this unit then a longer lasting battery should be the norm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure nintendo could have put a more powerful battery in for pennies and considering the high cost of this unit then a longer lasting battery should be the norm.

the battery is probably the most expensive part of the device... they couldn't possibly include a higher capacity version without putting the price up ... they're already selling the machine @ a loss lol :)
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Really liking my Wii U. Played quite a bit of Mario, mostly on the gamepad screen, and it's one of the best 2D Mario's I've played. It's starts off really easy but soon gets tricky & I've had to use a continue or 2 already. Once all the levels are completed, I'll be going back to get the star coins I missed.

Haven't really had much of a chance with ZombiU as my wife is off work on holiday, so I'm not getting much game time on the big TV. From what I've played, it's really atmospheric & the use of the game pad is very good with the scanner, radar etc but I'm finding it difficult. I've only got passed the supermarket but died about 6 times already. I think I'll start again on chicken :o

I've not had a chance to try the Sonic racers yet as my disc is faulty & I need to exchange it but I'm looking forward to getting online with that.

Mii verse is a really good feature in interacting with other gamers who have left comments and hints on parts of games you have played.

Looking forward to the release of Lego City, Scribblenauts, Pikmin, Rayman, Aliens and beyond.

Very happy with it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the battery is probably the most expensive part of the device... they couldn't possibly include a higher capacity version without putting the price up ... they're already selling the machine @ a loss lol :)

You really are taking the mick right:confused: as if your being serious you have got me and I guess everyone else seriously confused. Nintendo making a loss on the console LMAO, the battery the most expensive part :eek:, come on your gotta be having a laugh.