The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 4)

Comments

• allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    As for Phoenix, I really like this episode. Nothing really explosive happens, but there are some great scenes. I loved Charlie meeting the woman and her baby, and how helping her made him realise his place and how valued he was at the department. Watching the episode made me miss Patrick all over again. I thought he was a great character. I liked him helping out Spencer - showed he had a soft and lovely side, but he didn't want people to know! I chose Series 15 as it was the first series I ever remember watching of Casualty and I've rewatched it on UK Gold since. I'm very fond of it.

"Phoenix" was a very low-key but well written episode. I've only seen that episode once, but it is a really good episode. The fact it was centred on Charlie was good and the Patrick/Spencer dynamic was great.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    "Phoenix" was a very low-key but well written episode. I've only seen that episode once, but it is a really good episode. The fact it was centred on Charlie was good and the Patrick/Spencer dynamic was great.

The end of series 14 was the two parter with Sean and Tina in the Australian outback, and I think that was quite poorly received at the time, so they went back to basics a bit at the start of series 15.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't fond of the episode and hasn't the person living in the hospital basement room been done more than once before?
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    The end of series 14 was the two parter with Sean and Tina in the Australian outback, and I think that was quite poorly received at the time, so they went back to basics a bit at the start of series 15.

Ironically, Series 15 rated 2 million lower than Series 14.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that it was a good episode.

It was nice to see Noel have a storyline.

Unlike the majority, I quite like the idea of Tess and Fletch. The only bad about it, is that Fletch is married.

Still liking Ash.

I enjoyed the patient storylines.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on people, Fless is going to be one of the highlights of this series.Most thought Ash returning was going to be the major talking point and greatest focus but I guarantee you, in years to come, people will be looking back at this series and Fless will be what they loved about it the most.
  • Josh StonemJosh Stonem Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I wont be!

I just thought no no no when Tess was about to get in the taxi.

It was unrealistic that Fletch would all of a sudden have no consideration for his wife.

How old is Tess anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I wont be!

I just thought no no no when Tess was about to get in the taxi.

It was unrealistic that Fletch would all of a sudden have no consideration for his wife.

How old is Tess anyway?

Dont know exactly how old tess is but in Farmed Menace part 2 its is mentioned she is in her mid 40s when she was taken into ed after being impaled on a pole. Sure thats what they said
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on people, Fless is going to be one of the highlights of this series.Most thought Ash returning was going to be the major talking point and greatest focus but I guarantee you, in years to come, people will be looking back at this series and Fless will be what they loved about it the most.

If so, then Casualty really has gone a soap too far.
  • Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know something isn't quite right when the scriptwriters sideline a serious winter flu epidemic and patients on beds in corridors for the fascinating storyline of Robyn trying to find out who an action figure belongs to.

Casualty - gritty drama with its finger on the pulse of the NHS. Not any more.
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Tess & Fletch: Dislike! They've at least bothered to foreshadow it albeit clunkily. I felt that it would be nice to have a married character who wouldn't be paired off with someone but he has it. The whole storyline screams to me of the producers having 2 characters who haven't got anywhere to go and have paired them up to give them a storyline.

The love interests between the characters are too much. I thought Jordan & Yvonne relationship was refreshing as they weren't both members of the ED. Apart from the student nurses all the medics have been in a relationship with another member of the ED. (Dixie & Jeff maybe being an exception although they're married!)

I liked the Noel story line and thought it was interesting and a nice bit of continuity although it looks like it will be forgotten about after this episode.

Ash is good and seems to be doing a good job but I cannot understand the hatred for Zoe. I really like her character and don't know why everyone has suddenly turned on her.

Has Zoe been given the clinical lead job permanently? Charlie was asking Ash to consider it.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty21 wrote: »

Ash is good and seems to be doing a good job but I cannot understand the hatred for Zoe. I really like her character and don't know why everyone has suddenly turned on her.

I agree.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Zoe is still a hugely popular character overall so Zoe fans don't have to worry about anything. Yes there are some people that don't like Zoe, fair enough. But some fans don't like Zoe's attitude especially to Ash. Zoe is being a professional and she is doing her job well as Clinical Lead.

Can't wait for Zoe to come back next week. Also it will be great to see more of Tess :)
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    The love interests between the characters are too much. I thought Jordan & Yvonne relationship was refreshing as they weren't both members of the ED. Apart from the student nurses all the medics have been in a relationship with another member of the ED. (Dixie & Jeff maybe being an exception although they're married!)

I liked the Noel story line and thought it was interesting and a nice bit of continuity although it looks like it will be forgotten about after this episode.

Sorry to crop but I'm on my iPad and cannot do the bold thing.

I agree with a lot of what you say, I know it's a drama but I have worked in an ED and the staff are really not in relationships with each other except very rarely. The point is romance has no part of the workplace and does not figure except at breaks when you may discuss it.
    I hated the Jordan and Yvonne pairing though as there was absolutely no chemistry between them. Nice to see them try and outside (but linked) relationship though.
    The Noel thing was just a pointless sub plot (unless the writers had an axe to grind about paying for care) and the ending with him sharing with Big Mac was just so contrived.
    Finally, I love Zoe just think she has been so partially involved for a long time that the writers don't know what to do with her. She needs a good meaty outside work storyline preferably with a gorgeous man.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,151
    Forum Member
    OK I've wondered this for ages but always forgot but what happened with Tess' marriage I remember seeing an ep and she was married to Mick outta Brookie then I never watched for a while and she became single during that time
  • Josh StonemJosh Stonem Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Didn't he die in the end or did they just split up over the strain about Samuel's bi-polar?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    OK I've wondered this for ages but always forgot but what happened with Tess' marriage I remember seeing an ep and she was married to Mick outta Brookie then I never watched for a while and she became single during that time
    I am sure that he was paralysed in an accident and he filed for divorce
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    You know something isn't quite right when the scriptwriters sideline a serious winter flu epidemic and patients on beds in corridors for the fascinating storyline of Robyn trying to find out who an action figure belongs to.

Casualty - gritty drama with its finger on the pulse of the NHS. Not any more.
    The whole episode wasn't about the flu epidemic, there were other stories running along side it. So to single out Noel's story and make it out to be a trivial waste of the episode is a tad unfair. It might have been the writers way of shoe horning the issue of care homes and the current legislation on it then fair dues to them. Will be better if they followed up on it though. The ending was contrived as Osusana mentioned but did you not see the know look he gave to Robyn?

If Charley needed a place to stay and Ash gave him a room til he sorted himself out, most would be saying how sweet that friends can be there for each other like that. However, because it's Noel and Big Mac that a lot of people don't care a lot about, it's pointless or a waste even though they've been in the show for a while and are good friends.

...and Casualty hasn't been the gritty 80's drama that it started out as for a long time now, so to keep going on about the lack of grittyness in these soapy infested reality overkill times is futile. I agree with a lot of your posts in general but if we're hoping for it to at least get part way back to the heights that it once was at, I feel we're gonna be like Bob Marley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that the lack of love for Zoe seems to be coming mainly from women.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    The whole episode wasn't about the flu epidemic, there were other stories running along side it. So to single out Noel's story and make it out to be a trivial waste of the episode is a tad unfair. It might have been the writers way of shoe horning the issue of care homes and the current legislation on it then fair dues to them. Will be better if they followed up on it though. The ending was contrived as Osusana mentioned but did you not see the know look he gave to Robyn?

If Charley needed a place to stay and Ash gave him a room til he sorted himself out, most would be saying how sweet that friends can be there for each other like that. However, because it's Noel and Big Mac that a lot of people don't care a lot about, it's pointless or a waste even though they've been in the show for a while and are good friends.

...and Casualty hasn't been the gritty 80's drama that it started out as for a long time now, so to keep going on about the lack of grittyness in these soapy infested reality overkill times is futile. I agree with a lot of your posts in general but if we're hoping for it to at least get part way back to the heights that it once was at, I feel we're gonna be like Bob Marley

I think that's a fair point actually. :)
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    I find it interesting that the lack of love for Zoe seems to be coming mainly from women.

Yep that is right. Zoe haters are mainly from women. But Zoe haters are mainly teenage girls from here and twitter lol. I'm team Zoe and I know Zoe is still massively popular :)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Wasn't fond of the episode and hasn't the person living in the hospital basement room been done more than once before?
    Anyone?
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested, in real life Suzanne is 54, Alex is 38 and Gemma is 27. I don't know how old they are Casualty though. Does anyone know?
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,178
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Yep that is right. Zoe haters are mainly from women. But Zoe haters are mainly teenage girls from here and twitter lol. I'm team Zoe and I know Zoe is still massively popular :)

I don't hate Zoe - I just don't think she is the right choice as Clinical Lead, really Ash should be doing that job
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesc_715 wrote: »

I'm female, but not a teenager. I just haven't ever warmed to Zoe as a character. It was like a few years back when Maggie was around I just couldn't warm to her either and before that it was Lara.

Sometimes you just don't like characters, and prefer others.
This discussion has been closed.