Covert Affairs - uk pace - no spoilers

Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Spy drama that starts on Monday 7/11/11 at 9pm on the Really channel. Any thoughts on it?

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Fairly lightweight stuff. It is meant to be kind of fluffy and fun while still being a drama as opposed to a comedy. To stay interested, I think a person really has to just like following the exploits of the main character, and I find her pretty likable. More likable than interesting, really.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this show - i am up to date with it

Having Piper and Chris Gorham in one show together is a good combination, loving them as Annie and Auggie

I recommend this
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this - got it series linked already. Loved "Alias" which, I s'pose, is the closest comparison but then I don't mind a bit of light and fluffy as well - worked well for me with Franklin and Bash.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Agree with the light and fluffy.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed Franklin and Bash so if it's in the same vein as that....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the pilot tonight and once i stopped mentally (and unfairly) comparing to alias i rather enjoyed it!

Agree with the comments that Annie is definately likeable and that's enough for me, that and i like christopher gorham and have seen him in a few things now
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Watched the pilot tonight and once i stopped mentally (and unfairly) comparing to alias i rather enjoyed it!

Agree with the comments that Annie is definately likeable and that's enough for me, that and i like christopher gorham and have seen him in a few things now

I was (fairly) comparing it to 'Chuck'.

Very enjoyable.

Not keen on the advert bumpers for it all the time.

We get it, it's on Really, we are watching it, on Really, so we know it's on Really.

BTW
    It's on Really
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyable stuff. Pilot episode is repeated next Friday at 10:55pm for anyone who missed it and wants to catch it - on the Really channel as you may have gathered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    Enjoyable stuff. Pilot episode is repeated next Friday at 10:55pm for anyone who missed it and wants to catch it - on the Really channel as you may have gathered.

Is it really on Really?

I was watching it on Really, but I wasn't really sure. The 'Really' DOG didn't really inform me it was Really.

Good to know it is repeated though as I don't have a freeview recorder.
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very enjoyable.

Not keen on the advert bumpers for it all the time.

We get it, it's on Really, we are watching it, on Really, so we know it's on Really.

BTW
    It's on Really

I wish they'd do a crossover episode with Burn Notice since they are both about the CIA and are on USA Network. Michael running from Annie would be fun and Annie vs Fiona and Augie vs Jesse could make things interesting. Maybe Ben Mercer worked with Michael in the past? Really a missed opportunity.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    How the heck is it "fair" to do that. The only thing they have in common (and it's the same with "Alias") is the 'secret' aspect of it :confused:

Yes, I loved it too.

A lot of my fave female actresses in it; plus Chris too, of course but I don't fancy him as much ;) Really :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How the heck is it "fair" to do that. The only thing they have in common (and it's the same with "Alias") is the 'secret' aspect of it :confused:

I see her more as a female 'Chuck' than a less serious 'Sydney Bristow'.

The main difference being that her skills have been learnt rather than uploaded by the intersect.
  • philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Have to say, I really (sorry couldn't resist it) enjoyed this show, I do have to question why its on this channel tho. I find it hard to believe one of the bigger UK channels hasn't picked it up by now, (are they on the third series in the US ?.) I only stumbled across it by chance whilst watching the 'good food' channel, up until then I'd never heard of 'really'.
    So that leads me to ask, is it wasted on this nobody channel and would viewing figures be higher on let's say 'sky1hd' ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    phillees wrote: »
    Have to say, I really (sorry couldn't resist it) enjoyed this show, I do have to question why its on this channel tho. I find it hard to believe one of the bigger UK channels hasn't picked it up by now, (are they on the third series in the US ?.) I only stumbled across it by chance whilst watching the 'good food' channel, up until then I'd never heard of 'really'.
    So that leads me to ask, is it wasted on this nobody channel and would viewing figures be higher on let's say 'sky1hd' ?

It's only on the 2nd season in the States.

I agree though it is out of the way on Really.

It's the same with 'Community' on Viva.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Bought and watched the first season boxed set ages ago. Yes, it's good and it's get better and better as the season progresses. Will definitely get S2 when it's available in the US.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this show more than I probably should! Annie and Augie are great characters and the actors portrayal helps just lift this above the level of fluff it would be otherwise
  • myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that being a drama it would have been on Watch or Alibi, not Really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought that being a drama it would have been on Watch or Alibi, not Really.

I'm glad it isn't as those are on pay tv.

I think they are trying to get more people to watch Really, as they have the OC and Being Human and Greys Anatomy recently.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night, I thought it was quite a good opener to the show, I enjoyed it, a good balance between the light-heartedness and the serious, fairly good acting from the characters, and a good plot to follow with the hint to mystery too.

I wouldn't compare it to either Chuck or Alias other than to say they deal with spying. The rest of the comparison just doesn't really fit. The show is too serious to be compared with Chuck, which has more emphasize to comedy than the drama. And the show seems more realistic than Alias (realistic might not be the best word) and seems less focused on the fact that it is a female agent and more focused on the agent bit. I like Alias I just think this show has a little more grounding in our reality rather than the JJ Abrams reality.

What kept surprising me is the "You're watching really" advert with Chris Gorham his voice seems so much deeper than any of the characters he plays it kept freaking me out slightly :)
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think and wished a big tv channel picked this up, something like More4 or even Sky One

But a good show, recommended to my cousins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    It's light but very very good! It's on USA Network in the states with the likes of Burn Notice and Royal Pains.

I have watched up to ep 12 of the second season and its ten times better than the first.

Other characters are more involved with the like of Joan, Aurther and Jay becoming season regulars as apposed to being recurring!

A good show and ratings are doing well in the states so I think we will def get a season three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Pete19 wrote: »

A good show and ratings are doing well in the states so I think we will def get a season three.

Was renewed for a third season in September along with White Collar being renewed for a fourth

Happy Days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    andyccm wrote: »
    Was renewed for a third season in September along with White Collar being renewed for a fourth

Happy Days

Indeed!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    A good second episode. Doesn't need to "get better" as some shows do. I think it's fine as it is.

Of course, more of Ms Perabo (or even Kari Matchett) in less clothing would be a bonus :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just in case anyone isn't aware, season 1 ended last night with a double episode and it goes straight into season 2 at the same time next week :)