Byzantium

KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
Forum Member
Just seen it and I'm trying to work out if I loved it, or if I thought it was just a scary version of Eastenders.

I think it might have been fantastic... but I walked out scratching my head thinking: did that just blow me away or not?!

Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good.Yes its a bit slow at the start but it soon draws you in!

I have no idea how it is anything like Eastenders though as I think you may have seen a different film to me!
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw and enjoyed it this afternoon. :)
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I have no idea how it is anything like Eastenders though as I think you may have seen a different film to me!

Since I posted this I've seen a few people make the comparison so I can't be the only one that thought it was a tiny bit UK soap-esque.

It's all about family innit and an awful lot of shouting with London accents! :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the movie is directed by Neil Jordan, it may be worth a look
    Forum Member
    Karis that is a bit of a weak link unless you are joking which I think you are!
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Karis that is a bit of a weak link unless you are joking which I think you are!

For ONCE, I'm not joking! ;)

I genuinely thought it was like a dark and gritty and dirty episode of Eastenders... I can't say exactly why; I think it was because it was very family drama oriented.

Not in all ways, but it was a bit like Hollyoaks: After Hours at various points.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this out yet ? its not on at my cineworld
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last Friday at my local Cineworld and screening was almost packed out. It's brilliant vampire gothic horror movie which is actually based on an original play. I really liked it and yes it is a bit grimy and dirty and 'British' but that's no bad thing. The story is basically mother and daughter running away from the forces of darkness and trying to make ends meet....but they're vampires!

If there's one word to describe the movie it is gothic, it is gory in places and i definetely would not compare it to Eastenders let alone Hollyoaks!

Full of British actors - Gemma Arterton and Saoirse play the mother and daughter leads alongside Sam Riley, Jonny Lee Miller, Tom Hollander, Daniel Mays and Caleb Landry Jones who is the main American actor in the movie. If you want something different then give this a go. I really liked it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Somewhat surprised Gemma Arterton playing the mother - she's not that old :o
    Forum Member
    My local Cineworld has stopped showing this after only a week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

That's kind of the point... I've seen a few people say that and I'm pretty confused as to why- I mean, they're vampires!

I got about 45 minutes into a screening this afternoon when the cinema had a power cut. I'm absolutely gutted! I'm not going to be able to see it now until the DVD comes out.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeverSoShy wrote: »
    That's kind of the point... I've seen a few people say that and I'm pretty confused as to why- I mean, they're vampires!

I got about 45 minutes into a screening this afternoon when the cinema had a power cut. I'm absolutely gutted! I'm not going to be able to see it now until the DVD comes out.

Did you get a refund?.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local Cineworld has stopped showing this after only a week

Still showing at mine and next week too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Did you get a refund?.

We got given a free ticket.

I ended up being able to see it earlier this week at a midnight showing, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely one of the best vampire movies I've seen.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon . A bit slow in places but otherwise pretty good . Great visuals and locations as well.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

She was turned into a vampire after giving birth, so she remained at a young age while her daughter grew into a teenager, and then turned her daughter.
    I found the film ok, nothing special. There were two parts that annoyed me greatly, one being the fact we're meant to believe in this day & age that vampire "island" would remain undiscovered off the coast of the UK, and the chap who played the daughter's boyfriend was attrocious.
    Gemma tho, worth the admission alone :p