OUYA the £100 Android console launches today

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
Forum Member
Should be interesting to see how it does.
OUYA

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Can't make up my mind as to whether I want one or not.

Regards

Mark
  • dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    give about 6 months you will be able to get 1 for about £60 on the 2nd hand market
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it was announced I was really looking forward to this console, but times have moved-on quickly and the tech inside it (Tegra 3) is looking quite old now. I can see a price drop very soon, and then I'll be tempted.

:) Mark
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Got one (was a kickstart donor) and it's shit.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if people concerned about problems with early hardware iterations from Sony & Microsoft, wait til they get a load of this!

If I was going to get one it'll be at least six months, probably a year, before bother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one, I will use it for XBMC mostly anyway.
    Forum Member
    Also if people concerned about problems with early hardware iterations from Sony & Microsoft, wait til they get a load of this!

If I was going to get one it'll be at least six months, probably a year, before bother.

The hardware is not the issue with the device. The OS and quality of software is absolutely scrub level.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that it's open and requires no modding interests me i'll need to wait and see what emulators become
    available for it before i decide if i'll buy one or not
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    The hardware is not the issue with the device. The OS and quality of software is absolutely scrub level.

Surely both can be improved then? I thought all the big game companies are now jumping on board?
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll wait for the Ouya 2.

The fact that their official Twitter today promoted their console with an image of Mario Bros says it all.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    I'll wait for the Ouya 2.

The fact that their official Twitter today promoted their console with an image of Mario Bros says it all.

Pretty insane move by them to be honest. Not smart legally.

It's one thing to allow backdoor emulation/piracy of retro consoles(plenty of hardware does)......another entirely for a manufacturer to actively promote it and use someone elses IP to do so.

It's something that's supposed to be kept in the shadows..advertising it as a feature to sell hardware opens them up to a world of pain.

Nintendo could certainly take legal action and win just for the use of that image alone.
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    Surely both can be improved then? I thought all the big game companies are now jumping on board?

Havent heard anything about the big game companies being involved - as it's android based I dont think they publish for the OS.

Also, lots of news about kickstart donors not receiving their consoles before it hit the shelves. The entire release has been a complete mess.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing they are making money on the consoles as I would not expect to make much on software sales. Being open source. Means people will just pirate games.

If this had a tegra 4 chip I'd probably buy one.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, lots of news about kickstart donors not receiving their consoles before it hit the shelves. The entire release has been a complete mess.

I get the feeling the Ouya makers are a relatively small company who's unexpected kickstarter success has put them out of their depth. Sure they wanted their product to get released and do well, but the attention and funding they got was so huge they find themselves doing a global launch, without the experience or resources to manage it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would a big Apple user fund a project using Android if they were not even used to stock Android?

It seems obvious to anyone that standard Android will continue developing leaving these, old on the day they are born, niche devices in a sort of limbo.
    Even the Kindle is hardly moving forwards.

To be honest I find kickstarter weird.
    My cynical mind tells me there are plenty of serial kickstarters delivering goods and then moving onto the next project.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    I get the feeling the Ouya makers are a relatively small company who's unexpected kickstarter success has put them out of their depth. Sure they wanted their product to get released and do well, but the attention and funding they got was so huge they find themselves doing a global launch, without the experience or resources to manage it.
    Probably the truth!!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - as it's android based I dont think they publish for the OS.

Don't spend much time in the Android Play Store, do you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how the opening OUYA title sounds like it's from Far Cry 3.

That is all ;)
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    Got one, I will use it for XBMC mostly anyway.

How does XBMC perform when streaming HD videos from Icefilms etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough,I 'd suggest the Pebble watch though rather limited is a better bet.
    'Pebble' could end up as an extremely popular fashion brand if they play their cards right.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Funnily enough,I 'd suggest the Pebble watch though rather limited is a better bet.
    'Pebble' could end up as an extremely popular fashion brand if they play their cards right.

Eh? Is this in the right thread?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Eh? Is this in the right thread?

A pebble watch is a watch with a computer in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I quite like the OUYA. I spend quite a bit of time with my Nexus 7 and play a lot of games on it, and there are a lot of wonderful indie developers in the Play store. Not to mention the brilliant retro stuff available. A lot of Android games are much better than many give them credit for. I love it, and it feels like in some ways the reset button has been pressed again, much like when the DS and Wii arrived, and games can be simple, creative and fun. I often find I spend more time in those games than I do with stuff like Zelda etc. But deeper stuff is now starting to turn up too, like Final Fantasy and GTA.

OUYA has to get a lot of stuff sorted, like the their OS and marketplace, I get that. But if they get their act together I would consider getting one of these. I am very disappointed though, that it doesn't link in to your Play account, but then who's to say this won't come further down the line?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pebble watch is a watch with a computer in it.

Some people probably need a bit of a 'kickstart' in the mornings.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £100 actually seems rather expensive as its essentially a Nexus 7 without the screen (which its self is a year old now).