Superman 4 The Quest For Peace

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
As we come to superman month in june lol. I want to talk about 1 film thats probaly been voted the worst superman film out even worse than superman returns and thats saying something lol. Was superman 4 really as bad as people make out. When i first saw the film when i was a child i loved the film i didnt see any problems with it i thought it was the best 1 out of the other 3 nukes was a really scary bad guy. Then as i grew up and learned about special effects storylines etc i watched the film again and realized it was just bad in so many ways. BUT after reading the back story to it its not actually the films fault. Its the people at cannon. At first superman 4 was supose to have a budget of 34 mil that was cut down to just 17 mil. I mean warners was making only 4 films at the time so had plenty of money to spend cannon was making over 30 films so had to spread the money out. Also another problem superman 4 was supose to be over 2 hours and for some reason over 45 min was cut so the plot is just spread all over the place. When nukes is using that stupid growling voice saying where is the woman your thinking What woman how the heck do we know what woman your talking about.Youve only just looked at a paper lol. But im also gonna say the films bad yet i still love it. Look at the acting first sadley only a few only really try to bring out a good performance as usal Chris Reeve was just amazing as superman whatever happens to me he is and will always be him.You can see he is really trying to do his best. Gene hackman was brill margot kidder was just ok. There was also some bad performances Nuke man i said when i first saw the film he was really scary now looking at it hes basicaly whering a disco suit lol. Jon cryer was pointless. Another film i love is the music it really works in every sceene does it beat superman 1 you can decide on that. I really liked the story of what they was trying to do obviously they had to keep changing things. But it could have been a huge sucess if they had the budget. Another problem with the film is the locations. You look in the daily plannet does it even look like the daily plannet from the previous 3.Another really sad thing and i know this actually upset Chris Reeve was walking to the united nations he really wanted it to be outside the real united nations wheres the cars all over the place police is there huge huge crowds. Instead it was filmed in milton keynes and sadley it does show. Another bad thing is the special effects the flying is just bad almost every scene you can actually see the wires. When i see superman 4 i dont think its the worst film as i liked the story and what they was trying to do. But overall it is bad cause it never stood a chance from the word get go.

Comments

• SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of words tightly packed together :)

Even as a kid, I knew it was a terrible film.
  • James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I saw this not too long ago, and I agree, it was terrible. The only saving grace was the gorgeous Mariel Hemingway :)
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a kid, I saw it in the cinema and loved it. I thought it was the best Superman film.

Then I never saw it again for years until I was a bit older... And good Lord.... Its grim. It is truly a steaming pile of you know what.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add some paragraphs and I'll think about reading your post!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Add some paragraphs and I'll think about reading your post!
    I still wouldn't bother :p
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nukulerman! According to Gene Hackman. This movie looked almost as cheap as the George Reeves tv series.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamlee19 wrote: »
    As we come to superman month in june lol. I want to talk about 1 film thats probaly been voted the worst superman film out even worse than superman returns and thats saying something lol. Was superman 4 really as bad as people make out. When i first saw the film when i was a child i loved the film i didnt see any problems with it i thought it was the best 1 out of the other 3 nukes was a really scary bad guy. Then as i grew up and learned about special effects storylines etc i watched the film again and realized it was just bad in so many ways. BUT after reading the back story to it its not actually the films fault. Its the people at cannon. At first superman 4 was supose to have a budget of 34 mil that was cut down to just 17 mil. I mean warners was making only 4 films at the time so had plenty of money to spend cannon was making over 30 films so had to spread the money out. Also another problem superman 4 was supose to be over 2 hours and for some reason over 45 min was cut so the plot is just spread all over the place. When nukes is using that stupid growling voice saying where is the woman your thinking What woman how the heck do we know what woman your talking about.Youve only just looked at a paper lol. But im also gonna say the films bad yet i still love it. Look at the acting first sadley only a few only really try to bring out a good performance as usal Chris Reeve was just amazing as superman whatever happens to me he is and will always be him.You can see he is really trying to do his best. Gene hackman was brill margot kidder was just ok. There was also some bad performances Nuke man i said when i first saw the film he was really scary now looking at it hes basicaly whering a disco suit lol. Jon cryer was pointless. Another film i love is the music it really works in every sceene does it beat superman 1 you can decide on that. I really liked the story of what they was trying to do obviously they had to keep changing things. But it could have been a huge sucess if they had the budget. Another problem with the film is the locations. You look in the daily plannet does it even look like the daily plannet from the previous 3.Another really sad thing and i know this actually upset Chris Reeve was walking to the united nations he really wanted it to be outside the real united nations wheres the cars all over the place police is there huge huge crowds. Instead it was filmed in milton keynes and sadley it does show. Another bad thing is the special effects the flying is just bad almost every scene you can actually see the wires. When i see superman 4 i dont think its the worst film as i liked the story and what they was trying to do. But overall it is bad cause it never stood a chance from the word get go.

Did you read all that before hitting the submit button? My eyes hurt!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was badly PRODUCED, as the franchise was bought by the "GOGLO boys", and i had the misfortune to see it in the cinema (as a CHOICE between that and LETHAL WEAPON 2 FFS!)

blatant cost cutting and copying of effects shots didn't help, but the main story was pretty decent, even if it actually WENT AGAINST the crede of the original movie!

good for completists of the series, as i have the four movie boxset and superman returns
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milton Keynesis the United Nations in 'Superman IV'.

Terrible film.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many awful moments...I particularly cringed at the glaringly obvious London tube sequence, with just a few posters slapped around to try and convince us it was an NY subway...so bad.

I actually worked for Cannon at that time and met Gene Hackman...he looked somewhat embarassed to say the least.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Before we tackle the quest for peace, may we not tackle the quest for paragraphs?
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    Before we tackle the quest for peace, may we not tackle the quest for paragraphs?

:D...........
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Awful movie. Terrible in every way with no redeeming features, except for hilarious sight and sound of Gene Hackman dubbing Nuclear Man's voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm from Russia, and when I managed to find parts 2, 3 and 4 on video - back in 1996 or so - I was undescribably happy and loved them unconditionally. Impossible to be objective after seeing them all so many times, but I'll probably be the one liking part 2 least of all.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You complain. But can you think of a better film shot in Milton keynes?......;)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You complain. But can you think of a better film shot in Milton keynes?......;)

The Fourth Protocol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fourth_Protocol_%28film%29
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Brought an end to the Superman franchise. Terribly edited, stupid storyline, awfull acting total ignorance of Superman lore ( Lex Luthor cutting Supermans hair with a pair of bolt cutters !) That dreadfull nephew, whole chunks of the film cut out, I could go on. Superman III is not much better but this one is dire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Well, that's me told....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Brought an end to the Superman franchise. Terribly edited, stupid storyline, awfull acting total ignorance of Superman lore ( Lex Luthor cutting Supermans hair with a pair of bolt cutters !) That dreadfull nephew, whole chunks of the film cut out, I could go on. Superman III is not much better but this one is dire.

Yeah. Replacing Otis with ducky from pretty in pink..... Why?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ironic that all the money Cannon nicked still didn't save the company.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    It's amazing that a property like Superman somehow ended up in the hands of two morons like Golan and Globus

This was their idea for the first Spider-Man movie.
    In 1985, after a brief option on Spider-Man by Roger Corman expired, Marvel Comics optioned the property to Cannon Films. Cannon chiefs Menahem Golan and his cousin Yoram Globus agreed to pay Marvel Comics $225,000 over the five-year option period plus a percentage of the film’s revenues. The rights would revert to Marvel if a film was not made by April 1990.

Golan and Globus misunderstood the concept of the character ("They thought it was like The Wolf Man", said director Joseph Zito) and instructed writer Leslie Stevens, creator of The Outer Limits, to write a treatment reflecting their misconception. In Stevens’ story, a corporate scientist intentionally subjects ID-badge photographer Peter Parker to radioactive bombardment, transforming him into a hairy, suicidal, eight-armed monster. The human tarantula refuses to join the scientist’s new master-race of mutants, battling a succession of mutations kept in a basement laboratory.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's ironic that all the money Cannon nicked still didn't save the company.

It's weird to think that for a short while they were seen almost as the saviours of the British film industry...they came over here after making cheap, tatty American Graffiti knock offs like the Lemon Popsicle films, bought up a load of UK cinemas, and then went crazy with film production and started courting loads of big stars.

For a while people believed them...until it became apparent they were vastly overestimating their wealth, half of the proposed movies never got made (Dustim Hoffman was in talks to star in a version of La Brava, but they splashed his name all over the trade papers as having agreed to star, and he took umbrage and pulled out), their notion of film releasing and distribution was woeful...even the handful of decent movies (Runaway Train, Shy People, Duet For One etc) did not so much get released as escaped.

There was a concerted effort by them to move upmarket, after having made loads of cheap exploitation movies for years...they were forever taking out huge adverts in trade papers boosting up and coming 'quality' movies.But they could'nt shake off that cheap exploitation background and continued to churn out the likes of the Delta Force, Ninja and endlesssimilar movies with Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris and guns.

They had a certain amount of showmanship about them and they talked a good game (Golan primarily, Globus was actually quite a shy fellow), and they fooled people for a while...but it was obvious it could not last.

Golan actually directed a few interesting movies back in the 70's and 80's (Lepke, Diamonds, and an interesting little movie called The Apple), and he has actually made something like 50 movies.
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It breaks my heart to say this but Superman 4 is shocking and how you can compare Superman Returns to it is beyond me. Having said that yes your right about the film having its budget cut etc etc. I still love the film so to speak as it is still superman but it hurts to watch it.
  • adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It breaks my heart to say this but Superman 4 is shocking and how you can compare Superman Returns to it is beyond me. Having said that yes your right about the film having its budget cut etc etc. I still love the film so to speak as it is still superman but it hurts to watch it.
    The problem is superman returns used almost every word from the first film. Also Brandon tryed to hard to be like Chris reeve, Superman 4 was its own movie if that makes sence. I actually read an interview with John Cryer a few days ago and he said before the movie was released he had met Chris and said he was looking forward to the movie and Chris had said the films a complete mess and hes really sad cause he wanted to start the film franchise again after the flop of superman3. It is a really sad story when u think about it.