Is Pop a genre?

LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Inspired by some comments on another thread.

"Pop" music was originally short for "popular music", which I would interpret as being anything outside classical music. I would assume that "popular" in this case was being used in its original sense of "for the people", so it was a rather snobbish term. Music for the plebs who aren't refined enough to appreciate the classical composers. :o

I think that while "popular music" has become a valid and less disparaging term for non-classical music, the term "pop music" is now more specific and refers to a particular type of song.

What do you think? :)

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yes, I consider "pop" as a genre of music, I always have. At the moment, the sub-genres of pop that are most popular are electropop and dance-pop.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Yes, I consider "pop" as a genre of music, I always have. At the moment, the sub-genres of pop that are most popular are electropop and dance-pop.

I agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    A music genre is a conventional category that identifies pieces of music as belonging to a shared tradition or set of conventions.

I'd say "pop" qualifies.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inspired by some comments on another thread.

"Pop" music was originally short for "popular music", which I would interpret as being anything outside classical music. I would assume that "popular" in this case was being used in its original sense of "for the people", so it was a rather snobbish term. Music for the plebs who aren't refined enough to appreciate the classical composers. :o

I think that while "popular music" has become a valid and less disparaging term for non-classical music, the term "pop music" is now more specific and refers to a particular type of song.

What do you think? :)

you are right. im old enough to remember the 60's, and the term pop music (short for popular as you say) refered to all the music found in the charts. the 3 minute ditty aimed at the youth of the day.

so by its original definition, all chart music is pop.

the split, or confusion came in in the late 80's, when watermans hit factory (s/a/w) popularised manufactured music and called that pop. there other styles that were popular in the charts in those times, indie, hip hop, rock, etc , but the fans of that style of pop wanted to distance themselves from watermans manufactured tripe... quite reasonably so too... i believe that thats when there was a split from pop meaning every chart style track, to becoming to mean a style of music... ie simplistic, nonsense.

to be fair, waterman refered to his style of pop as 'pure pop'... but the word 'pure' seems to have been dropped now, and the younger generations have kept the split between (pure) pop and other chart styles.

who is right?... tbh i dont think there is a definitive answer. its quite reasonable for the younger generation to want to distinguish betweemn pop, hip hop, indie, dance, etc.. but those of us who grew up with all chart material being refered to as pop have an equal point. we cannot re-write history.
    Yes, I consider "pop" as a genre of music, I always have. .

thats because youre young and grew up with manufactured music as the norm! :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "pop" music was originally just short for "popular" (as someone else has mentioned) but as time has gone on it evolved into it's own specific genre.

I consider it to be it's own genre of music. I wouldn't really know how else to label the likes of Britney Spears or Katy Perry, as they don't fit neatly into anything other than what I consider pop.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the split, or confusion came in in the late 80's, when watermans hit factory (s/a/w) popularised manufactured music and called that pop. there other styles that were popular in the charts in those times, indie, hip hop, rock, etc, but the fans of that style of pop wanted to distance themselves from watermans manufactured tripe... quite reasonably so too... i believe that thats when there was a split from pop meaning every chart style track, to becoming to mean a style of music... ie simplistic, nonsense.

its quite reasonable for the younger generation to want to distinguish between pop, hip hop, indie, dance, etc.. but those of us who grew up with all chart material being refered to as pop have an equal point. we cannot re-write history.

I think you are right up to a point, but as teenagers in the 70s we were outraged when anyone referred to the likes of Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis etc as "pop" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are right up to a point, but as teenagers in the 70s we were outraged when anyone referred to the likes of Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis etc as "pop" :D

true, but they didnt chart (much) in the singles chart!

actually by then it was called 'rock and pop'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't use the charts as a definition though. A song can still be a "pop" song if it hasn't been in the charts. (What does that even mean now? There are so many different "charts" knocking around)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure what the shared traditions or set of conventions are that define pop as a genre?

Apart from being popular what would they be?

Pop is actually very hard to define as a genre.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I regard it as a meta-genre alongside rock, folk, country, jazz, electronic etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't use the charts as a definition though. A song can still be a "pop" song if it hasn't been in the charts. (What does that even mean now? There are so many different "charts" knocking around)

the charts are the physical manifestation of a tracks popularity, no they arent part of the definition as you say, a track doesnt have to chart to be pop.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think that's generally called 'underground pop' by the 'music commentators' for the last decade or two, although a misnomer of a term really.
    waterman refered to his style of pop as 'pure pop'...

Wasn't it called 'bubblegum pop' in the early '70's - a very cheesified version of pop.It's popularity (some a more contempory version of it, alot of retro-bubblegum pop about as well, though) seems to have increased again with the younger demographic & perhaps some of the 'original' bubblegum pop lovers :o;)

Pop music Characteristics

Don't think pop is a genre really.It's more multi-genre that fits into a specific format.The most popular pop genre (at that particular time), usually get's the mantle of generally being regarded as pop.Pop has often been redefined virtually over-night at times though (as long as it fits into the that charactoristic format).
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power pop is often regardeded as 'pure pop' - good example The Knack - My Sharona.Don't think many would regard that as pure pop these days though.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop is really a shortened term for 'popular music'. But there are
    various genres that fit into the pop charts such as r n b, hip hop and rock. You would not consider Oasis to be the same type of artist as Britney Spears but yet they have had hits that have topped the 'pop charts.' Indeed, Oasis would consider themselves as artists that are rock and roll musicians. In conclusion, i would say that pop is a broadened and perhaps even loose term to describe contemporary music.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More so than "classical" which encompasses a thousand years of genres.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    More so than "classical" which encompasses a thousand years of genres.

I think you may be confusing style and form with genre in that case. Classical music is really only about 400 years old if you date it from the Baroque period.

As I said before pop music does not fit easily into a genre. Maybe we should stop using such a weak category as the pop music genre? It really means very little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't it called 'bubblegum pop' in the early '70's - a very cheesified version of pop.It's popularity (some a more contempory version of it, alot of retro-bubblegum pop about as well, though) seems to have increased again with the younger demographic & perhaps some of the 'original' bubblegum pop lovers :o;)

Don't think pop is a genre really.It's more multi-genre that fits into a specific format.The most popular pop genre (at that particular time), usually get's the mantle of generally being regarded as pop.Pop has often been redefined virtually over-night at times though (as long as it fits into the that charactoristic format).

well i can only comment on my experience, being 13 in 1970. nope! lol, we didnt call it bubblegum pop, it was just pop, or glam.

until recently bubblegum refered to a specific style generated in new york in the late 60's by kastenetz - katz. they had a mini hit factory with acts like 1910 fruitgum co, ohio express, lemon pipers, all of which charted in 68. in 69 there was the archies 'sugar sugar', but by 70 i didnt hear the term bubblegum being refered to to anything contemporary until recently when the young yet again are re-defining old terms.... wrongly! :p:D
    Power pop is often regardeded as 'pure pop' - good example The Knack - My Sharona.Don't think many would regard that as pure pop these days though.

never considered that as such... we called 'my sharona' as new wave.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I think you may be confusing style and form with genre in that case. Classical music is really only about 400 years old if you date it from the Baroque period.

But you'll find Hildegard von Bingen classified as "classical" in record stores (if there are any left).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member

never considered that as such... we called 'my sharona' as new wave.

Used to love that song. Sounds funny calling it 'new' wave now!

Some would call it 'post punk' but I don't recall it being called that at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Pop is really a shortened term for 'popular music'. But there are
    various genres that fit into the pop charts such as r n b, hip hop and rock. You would not consider Oasis to be the same type of artist as Britney Spears but yet they have had hits that have topped the 'pop charts.' Indeed, Oasis would consider themselves as artists that are rock and roll musicians. In conclusion, i would say that pop is a broadened and perhaps even loose term to describe contemporary music.

Hmmmm. I think you only read the thread title. Why not read all the posts, there's an interesting discussion going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm. I think you only read the thread title. Why not read all the posts, there's an interesting discussion going on.

There is an interesting discussion going on but that is my opinion of the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an interesting discussion going on but that is my opinion of the question.

What you said seems to suggest that you think pop is merely an umbrella term to describe all contemporary music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you said seems to suggest that you think pop is merely an umbrella term to describe all contemporary music.

Pop music as you have already said alters according to it's era. For example, the Brit Pop era in the mid nineties is popular music but it's roots perhaps lay in rock and roll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop music as you have already said alters according to it's era. .

No, I didn't say that, and I disagree with that statement. I don't think you have read my posts with any attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I didn't say that, and I disagree with that statement. I don't think you have read my posts with any attention.

I have misunderstood, sorry.