Vistron DHR 5006

Has anyone had experience of repairing a Vistron DHR 5006 HDD/DVD recorder? I have one which no longer powers up. I'd be glad of any sugestions as to what might be the likely fault
This machine has no brand or manufacturer 's name on it only a model number. I found out the brand name by "Googling" it and was led to Amazon who show it to be a Vistron. It's a very cheap product with one 1 star review. It belongs to my son so I'd like to get it going if possible

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are any number of reasons why it's not working. From the silly, like the batteries have run out in the remote so can't send the "wake up" signal to the unit (and you would be surprised how common that one is! :D) to the more serious like there has been a major component failure internally.

I assume you have done the obvious like check the fuse in the plug? And if the mains lead is detachable have you tried an alternative mains lead, or tried it's mains lead on something else to see what happens? If the unit's mains lead powers something else and an alternative mains lead fails to power the unit then it has to be an internal failure.

That could be an internal fuse or something more serious. And of course you have to work out what caused the fuse to pop in the first place. Rarely will a simple replacement of the fuse be a permanent cure, they don't often pop for no good reason.

Now you get into the realms of tracking down what has actually popped. Sometimes it is obvious, eg a capacitor that is bulging or leaking it's content all over the circuit board. More spectacular is a capacitor that has exploded, that is a sight to see (just don't be anywhere near it when the can flies into the air!) and messy. Or there may be an obviously destroyed component. Though if there is it can be a nightmare working out what it was if you don't have a circuit diagram. Sometimes however components die with no outward signs.

So you have to weigh up several factors. Do you have the tools and skills to fix it your self? Assuming it doesn't just need a fuse swapping and it all bursts into life again. If you can't fix it yourself is the cost of having it done professionally going to be greater than the value of the unit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for your tips. Yes, I had checked the obvious things like the fuse in the plug.and there is a fuse on the power board which is still intact. Batteries in the remote are OK but the machine won't power up by pressing the power button on the front panel There are no components with signs of overheating or blown capacitors. I have the tools and skill to replace components on PCBs but unless I can get hold of a schematic, which I imagine will be impossible, I'm pretty well stuck. It certainly isn't worth paying a professional service engineer to repair the machine. Perhaps I'll save the hard drive and bin the rest.

Michael
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the power supply a separate module? Perhaps with a link cable to the main circuit board? Might be worth checking that out to see if there is any DC coming out of the PSU.

If it is a switched mode PSU then chances are it is some generic module rather than a custom build. In which case there should be a label on the thing with a makers name and part number. You can then possibly find a replacement part with a bit of googling. Assuming the PSU has popped. I've seen a few dead switch mode PSUs that are visually indistinguishable from the working replacements so can't always rely on appearances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Thanks again chrisjr. I was thinking on the same line this afternoon, it is a separate switched mode power supply module. I'll investigate this over the next few days. I'll post a further reply with the results

Michael