Whose death or retirement would be the end of an era in showbiz

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A good example of this would be Bruce Forsyth he,s one of the last titans of old school and it will truly be the end of an era

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    A good example of this would be Bruce Forsyth he,s one of the last titans of old school and it will truly be the end of an era

I wish him no harm but I long for BF to retire.
    He is well past it now.:yawn::yawn:
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    I know she's always the butt of jokes nowadays, but Betty White. When she does die i'm sure i'll shed a tear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »

Yes, Bruce Forsyth, Ronnie Corbett and Ken Dodd spring to mind as the last links to the old era of entertainment.

The last two Beatles dying will be similar in musical terms.

Lots of people who were famous in the 50s/60s/70s and really represent that time are all heading towards their twilight years now.

I'm old enough to remember when Charlie Chaplin died and how people reacted then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Forsythe is the last of the old school family entertainment stars that is still regularly seen on TV, so his death or enforced retirement (due to ill health) would be a big media thing. Ronnie Corbett, Ken Dodd are lower profile but they will still make headlines (like Richard Briers recently).
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Clint Eastwood
    Kirk Douglas
    Chuck Berry
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry Wogan, Bruce Forsyth, Paul Jones(singer/musician/radio 2 DJ and one of my favourites, 86 year old Desmond Carrington on radio 2, for over 23 years and he now does his weekly friday night show from the comfort of his home in Scotland with Sam the cat!
  • glaschelleglaschelle Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Bennett. Last of the great American Singers.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Madonna.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Philip scofield
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian Wilson

Diana Ross.

Hank Marvin
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In broadcasting terms, David Attenborough - obviously. A big thing will be made of his death.
    Forum Member
    Bob Dylan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glaschelle wrote: »
    Tony Bennett. Last of the great American Singers.

Last of the great American singers? Bruce Springsteen fans might have something to say about that. ;) Last of the old school easy listening singers might be a better way of putting it.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Clint Eastwood.One of the last of the greats, who's been a major star since the sixties,and still stars in/directs box office hits now.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    Sir Cliff Richard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Sir Cliff Richard.

I wish he would retire...........and take Sir Paul with him.
    They were both shockingly dreadful at the Jubilee Concert.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Somebody should have known better than to invite them. You can't blame them for turning up to an invitation.

And even having said that, were they actually worse than Cheryl Cole, who doesn't even have old age as an excuse?
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    In broadcasting terms, David Attenborough - obviously. A big thing will be made of his death.

It'll be a sad day indeed. One of the true greats of broadcasting, nobody comes close to replacing him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody should have known better than to invite them. You can't blame them for turning up to an invitation.

And even having said that, were they actually worse than Cheryl Cole, who doesn't even have old age as an excuse?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jubilee Concert and when it finished I switched on the coverage from Five Live.

CC was torn to shreds and they were even replaying how out of tune she was.:D

To put it into perspective though, CC has never been generally known for her 'talent' unlike the aforementioned Sirs.
    I'd rather they retired rather than see either of them murdering their old classics again.:(

..........and whilst I'm on the subject (:o)..........Sir Paul was even worse at the Olympic Closing Concert than he was at the Jubilee Concert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be a sad day indeed. One of the true greats of broadcasting, nobody comes close to replacing him.

I've often wondered who I actually like because I can churn out negativity readily.:o

I love David Attenborough though and he'd better not die/retire any time soon.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When Attenborough dies the BBC will make an even bigger deal of it than they did with Jimmy Savile.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member

I'm not about to disagree with you on his performance, something went horribly wrong but here is another live performance from last year and I think he sounds terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9327feprU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'm not about to disagree with you on his performance, something went horribly wrong but here is another live performance from last year and I think he sounds terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9327feprU

OK........I'll give you that one.:p
    He does sound good there...........and hes even wearing a school uniform.:D
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Attenborough dies the BBC will make an even bigger deal of it than they did with Jimmy Savile.

Lets hope nothing comes back to bite them on the arse this time then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Davidson - last of the comedians who thought it was hilarious to tell racist, sexist and homophobic jokes. ;)