Catherine Zeta Jones - ''I'm sick of talking about my bi-polar''

Comments

• incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    di60 wrote: »
    Ditto > > > >

The difference being I didn't roll my eyes about it. No need for a nasty attitude.
  • di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    incy wincy wrote: »
    The difference being I didn't roll my eyes about it. No need for a nasty attitude.

Funny.... exactly what I thought of your response.....

now please leave me alone..... as stated, I cant afford maintenance checks every time something aggravates my condition....
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is not bi-polar

How would you know? are you a personal friend?
    You can't 'cure' being bi-polar by a short stint in rehab, it is a life long condition so she was probably being treated for a bout of depression. Why is everyone so unsympathetic on this forum?
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    You can't 'cure' being bi-polar by a short stint in rehab, it is a life long condition so she was probably being treated for a bout of depression. Why is everyone so unsympathetic on this forum?

Maybe he works for ATOS, they've told a number of my friends they either dont have Bipolar or it doesnt affect them too badly :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

As someone who has mental health issues I feel a bit ill reading this thread. I think the lack of sympathy comes from the high level of cynicism that we see in this forum. Everything a celebrity does is cold and calculated. It's all for publicity or money. Bi polar is seen as the new, trendy illness so we think its impossible for someone to just simply be suffering from it, there always has to be a motive.

I'm not a fan of CZJ but I wish her well. It was stupid of her to make a comment saying she was cured though. Have to admit I wish I could go somewhere for a few days every time I have an episode
    Forum Member
    As someone who has mental health issues I feel a bit ill reading this thread. I think the lack of sympathy comes from the high level of cynicism that we see in this forum. Everything a celebrity does is cold and calculated. It's all for publicity or money. Bi polar is seen as the new, trendy illness so we think its impossible for someone to just simply be suffering from it, there always has to be a motive.

I'm not a fan of CZJ but I wish her well. It was stupid of her to make a comment saying she was cured though. Have to admit I wish I could go somewhere for a few days every time I have an episode

my total lack of sympathy for her was born out of her feeling "devastated, shocked and appalled"..."violated and that something precious had been stolen from me" and that her "peace and happiness evaporated".....

when Hello jeopardised the "deal" she had with OK for her wedding pictures :rolleyes:...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-159927/Zeta-Jones-devastated-wedding-pictures.html#ixzz2RwjbWSN7

Yes I'd say she was prone to exaggeration

Good Luck with your struggle Grace...... I'm having a bad one today!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiB :D

We aren't talking about starving people, we're talking about an immensely privileged woman who claims to have had bi-polar when she had a bit of a wobble in her life.

As it doesn't seem to be getting though to you, I'll bid you adieu. :)

But you don't know that for sure. As others have said no wonder she doesn't want to talk about it anymore when she has been castigated by so wouldmany. I know no more than you do as to what is fact but I will take it as truth until I find otherwise.

From your viewpoint I take it you have had the privilege not to have suffered from bi-polar or any other illnesses of this ilk and I wouldn't wish you to experience it so that you can be humbled!
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    What a nasty thread. Unless you know for an absolute fact that CZJ does not have bi-polar it is really spiteful to come on here making snide and sneery remarks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Echoing those who think this is an incredibly nasty thread.

I should add, though, does anyone think there is an actual correlation between fame and bipolar disorder? People make snarky jokes, but it's easy to understand why depression or mental health problems occur in those under the spotlight, people who are constantly pestered or photographed, or experience massive swings in success. One moment everybody's bowing at your feet, the next your yesterday's news. In Catherine's case, her career faltered somewhat in the mid-2000's, and her husband obviously had a really bad couple of years health-wise.

Hopefully she'll continue getting treatment and be able to live life to the fullest.
    Forum Member
    shoot wrote: »
    Echoing those who think this is an incredibly nasty thread.

I should add, though, does anyone think there is an actual correlation between fame and bipolar disorder? People make snarky jokes, but it's easy to understand why depression or mental health problems occur in those under the spotlight, people who are constantly pestered or photographed, or experience massive swings in success. One moment everybody's bowing at your feet, the next your yesterday's news. In Catherine's case, her career faltered somewhat in the mid-2000's, and her husband obviously had a really bad couple of years health-wise.

Hopefully she'll continue getting treatment and be able to live life to the fullest.

Yes because they live in world where they have sycophants fawning over them, the adulation must make them think they are unique and special …..

then when faced with REAL LIFE STRESS they are totally ill equipped to deal with REALITY and have to check into rehab...
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bi polar doesn't discrimate ..rich or poor it can affect you.. Someone who appears to have it all can still suffer from bi polar. I'm no fan of CZJ after her flippant remark about a £1m being nothing to her .. But I still wish her well in her battle
    Forum Member
    Yes because they live in world where they have sycophants fawning over them, the adulation must make them think they are unique and special …..

then when faced with REAL LIFE STRESS they are totally ill equipped to deal with REALITY and have to check into rehab...

That makes Bipolar sound like a weakness. I suggest those of you displaying your ignorance do a little research into some websites to learn of the real life people with Bipolar and how they can wreck not only their own lives but also those of family around them.
    I wish it were a choice - my life with my husband would have been so much simpler. Ah well, onwards with his cocktail of three different meds a day (1 anti depressant and 2 anti psychotics). Why would anyone choose to take meds like those and have their side effects just for the label of Bipolar?
    Forum Member
    That makes Bipolar sound like a weakness. I suggest those of you displaying your ignorance do a little research into some websites to learn of the real life people with Bipolar and how they can wreck not only their own lives but also those of family around them.
    I wish it were a choice - my life with my husband would have been so much simpler. Ah well, onwards with his cocktail of three different meds a day (1 anti depressant and 2 anti psychotics). Why would anyone choose to take meds like those and have their side effects just for the label of Bipolar?

cant see how you read that into it.....

if the reports are true that CZJ has 'really been putting the red wine away' recently, I doubt she is on the cocktail of drugs that your husband is...
    Forum Member
    cant see how you read that into it.....

if the reports are true that CZJ has 'really been putting the red wine away' recently, I doubt she is on the cocktail of drugs that your husband is...

Because you seem to relate the cause of Bipolar as being wholly to do with stress. It is indeed a factor but by no means the only factor.

Once again your ignorance of this subject precedes you.
    Do you have any idea how many people with BP self medicate with alcohol? Research shows up to 60% of people struggle with this. If only all Beepers were as mildly affected as Stephen Fry - he has caused so much damage to sufferers at the sharp end because ignorant people presume everyone can cope with this illness as he does.

I have no idea whether she has BP, I dont particularly like her attitude anyway but I hate even more how a 'star' can have an adverse effect on a whole group of people by claiming to be cured from a chronic illness for which there is no cure.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shoot wrote: »
    I should add, though, does anyone think there is an actual correlation between fame and bipolar disorder?

I think there is a correlation between having bi-polar and being a creative person and creative people are more likely to be in the entertainment/arts industry.
    Forum Member
    Because you seem to relate the cause of Bipolar as being wholly to do with stress It is indeed a factor but by no means the only factor .

Once again your ignorance of this subject precedes you.
    Do you have any idea how many people with BP self medicate with alcohol? Research shows up to 60% of people struggle with this. If only all Beepers were as mildly affected as Stephen Fry - he has caused so much damage to sufferers at the sharp end because ignorant people presume everyone can cope with this illness as he does.

I have no idea whether she has BP, I dont particularly like her attitude anyway but I hate even more how a 'star' can have an adverse effect on a whole group of people by claiming to be cured from a chronic illness for which there is no cure.

I think you'll find it is her publicist, not me, that is associating her "stress of the past year" with her bipolar ll treatment

Her publicist confirmed that she had received mental health treatment to help her cope with her traumatic personal life.

‘After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check into a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her bipolar II disorder,’ she said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2316906/Catherine-Zeta-Jones-bipolar-Star-checks-treatment-facility-maintenance.html#ixzz2RyI9ZB1n
    Forum Member
    Blood-curdling rows. two film flops. What's the truth behind Catherine Zeta-Jones' new stay in a psychiatric clinic?

Once the news broke, Catherine’s Los Angeles-based PR team went into overdrive. Her spokeswoman, Cece Yorke, issued a statement saying: ‘Catherine has proactively checked into a health-care facility. Previously, she has said she is committed to periodic care in order to manage her health in an optimum manner.’

According to her team, her 30-day ‘maintenance’ stay has been arranged so doctors can monitor her drugs and has ‘always been part of the plan’.

It is a claim that has been disputed by mental health professionals.

What her spokesman has said makes no sense at all,’ renowned Beverly Hills psychiatrist Dr Carole Lieberman told the Mail this week.

‘If there was nothing wrong and she was coping with life, she wouldn’t need to go into a hospital.

‘The idea that you can have this so-called maintenance programme is just not how it works. You can’t schedule it, like bringing your car in every six months. The reason patients are admitted to a psychiatric unit is because their condition is so serious and acute that they need to be in hospital.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2319135/Blood-curdling-rows-film-flops-Whats-truth-Catherine-Zeta-Jones-new-stay-psychiatric-clinic.html#ixzz2SHBWdCNd

:cool:
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Blood-curdling rows. two film flops. What's the truth behind Catherine Zeta-Jones' new stay in a psychiatric clinic?

Once the news broke, Catherine’s Los Angeles-based PR team went into overdrive. Her spokeswoman, Cece Yorke, issued a statement saying: ‘Catherine has proactively checked into a health-care facility. Previously, she has said she is committed to periodic care in order to manage her health in an optimum manner.’

According to her team, her 30-day ‘maintenance’ stay has been arranged so doctors can monitor her drugs and has ‘always been part of the plan’.

It is a claim that has been disputed by mental health professionals.

What her spokesman has said makes no sense at all,’ renowned Beverly Hills psychiatrist Dr Carole Lieberman told the Mail this week.

‘If there was nothing wrong and she was coping with life, she wouldn’t need to go into a hospital.

‘The idea that you can have this so-called maintenance programme is just not how it works. You can’t schedule it, like bringing your car in every six months. The reason patients are admitted to a psychiatric unit is because their condition is so serious and acute that they need to be in hospital.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2319135/Blood-curdling-rows-film-flops-Whats-truth-Catherine-Zeta-Jones-new-stay-psychiatric-clinic.html#ixzz2SHBWdCNd

:cool:

Interesting article, Letterman show and Prince Charles:D
    I think she may like her drink and other things but who knows
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correction - she was in a mental facility for five days. :rolleyes:
    You can't treat true bi-polar in five days. Ask anyone who suffers with it.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/236245/catherine-zeta-jones-checked-herself-into-mental-hospital-for-treatment-of-bipolar-disorder

There are different levels of BP and someone can be able to spend five days in a facility for some treatment, it doesnt mean its cured, it also does not mean the episode started the day they checked in.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/bipolardisorder/bipolardisorder.aspx
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Interesting article, Letterman show and Prince Charles:D
    I think she may like her drink and other things but who knows

me too!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to know that certain prejudices and stigmatisation of mental health difficulties are still alive and well in this thread. So disappointing.

People with 'true' bipolar disorder are often very creative and productive in their 'up' phases which is why you might find a disproportionately large number of people in the public eye (.i.e. 'celebs) claiming to have it. It can happen in other industries, too. I have no doubt that some people will self-diagnose and 'use' it to up their profile or justify an episode of odd behaviour. However, it can be a very debilitating condition and just because you are famous/ rich/ priviliged doesn't render you immune.

I also hate the implication that people with conditions such as this are weak and not facing 'reality' like 'the rest of us, who have to get on with it'. The problem with mental illness is that 'reality' is hitting you in the face more blatantly than it might be for a person not so vulnerable to such conditions. I agree that there are people who dramatize the ups and downs of life and try to pathologize it in some way. However, the depressive side of mental illness is crippling and until someone has genuinely experienced it, it's not really fair to judge by one's own standards.

As for CZJ, yes, she has always come across as a bit of a diva but, again, it doesn't mean that she is exempt from mental illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I didnt even know she had bi-polar... not that I would ever tire of listening to Catherine Zeta Jones :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Great to know that certain prejudices and stigmatisation of mental health difficulties are still alive and well in this thread. So disappointing.

People with 'true' bipolar disorder are often very creative and productive in their 'up' phases which is why you might find a disproportionately large number of people in the public eye (.i.e. 'celebs) claiming to have it. It can happen in other industries, too. I have no doubt that some people will self-diagnose and 'use' it to up their profile or justify an episode of odd behaviour. However, it can be a very debilitating condition and just because you are famous/ rich/ priviliged doesn't render you immune.

I also hate the implication that people with conditions such as this are weak and not facing 'reality' like 'the rest of us, who have to get on with it'. The problem with mental illness is that 'reality' is hitting you in the face more blatantly than it might be for a person not so vulnerable to such conditions. I agree that there are people who dramatize the ups and downs of life and try to pathologize it in some way. However, the depressive side of mental illness is crippling and until someone has genuinely experienced it, it's not really fair to judge by one's own standards.

As for CZJ, yes, she has always come across as a bit of a diva but, again, it doesn't mean that she is exempt from mental illness.

15 April 2011

Her publicist CeCe York said that she was treated for ‘bipolar II disorder’ – a mild version of the bipolar disorder that has recently ravaged Charlie Sheen. It seems the condition was sparked by Douglas’ battle with throat cancer.
    But there are whispers about her breakdown. For isn’t a mere five-day stay in a world-famous rehab clinic a rather eccentric way to treat a long-term depressive condition?
    People who have been treated at Silver Hill say that the paperwork and complicated process of admission means it can take an entire day just to check in. What treatment might she effectively receive in just four days, then, especially since the drugs used to treat such depressive illnesses take between four weeks and three months to become effective? During her stay, Miss Zeta-Jones reportedly even went jogging around the grounds and joined her fellow patients for post-dinner games of poker, which doesn’t exactly suggest any intensive programme of treatment.Dr Keith Ablow, a prominent U.S. psychiatrist, says bipolar II features serial depressive episodes and some occasional ‘highs’. In his opinion, if the actress is suffering from the condition, she will have been living with it for most of her life, and will probably have been taking medication for many years.In which case, what use a short stay to treat a condition which is usually controlled by drugs and therapy on an out-patient basis?It would usually be a perfect period to recover from, say, an overdose, or to undergo a detox from drugs or alcohol. All such suggestions are categorically denied by Miss Zeta-Jones’s representatives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1377074/Catherine-Zeta-Jones-dashed-Wales-help-family-bipolar-disorder.html#ixzz2SKfjzHi4

it is my opinion that CZJ is using "bipolar" to cover other issues that she has, it is far more fashionable and garners a lot more sympathy other than admitting she has a drug/alcohol problem....

the reason why CZJ is 'sick of talking about her bi-polar' is because every time she (or her people) do, it raises questions about the validity of her diagnosis
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 April 2011

Her publicist CeCe York said that she was treated for ‘bipolar II disorder’ – a mild version of the bipolar disorder that has recently ravaged Charlie Sheen. It seems the condition was sparked by Douglas’ battle with throat cancer.
    But there are whispers about her breakdown. For isn’t a mere five-day stay in a world-famous rehab clinic a rather eccentric way to treat a long-term depressive condition?
    People who have been treated at Silver Hill say that the paperwork and complicated process of admission means it can take an entire day just to check in. What treatment might she effectively receive in just four days, then, especially since the drugs used to treat such depressive illnesses take between four weeks and three months to become effective? During her stay, Miss Zeta-Jones reportedly even went jogging around the grounds and joined her fellow patients for post-dinner games of poker, which doesn’t exactly suggest any intensive programme of treatment.Dr Keith Ablow, a prominent U.S. psychiatrist, says bipolar II features serial depressive episodes and some occasional ‘highs’. In his opinion, if the actress is suffering from the condition, she will have been living with it for most of her life, and will probably have been taking medication for many years.In which case, what use a short stay to treat a condition which is usually controlled by drugs and therapy on an out-patient basis?It would usually be a perfect period to recover from, say, an overdose, or to undergo a detox from drugs or alcohol. All such suggestions are categorically denied by Miss Zeta-Jones’s representatives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1377074/Catherine-Zeta-Jones-dashed-Wales-help-family-bipolar-disorder.html#ixzz2SKfjzHi4

it is my opinion that CZJ is using "bipolar" to cover other issues that she has, it is far more fashionable and garners a lot more sympathy other than admitting she has a drug/alcohol problem....

the reason why CZJ is 'sick of talking about her bi-polar' is because every time she (or her people) do, it raises questions about the validity of her diagnosis

Hmmm, it's a fair point.

I was just reflecting on some of the assumptions about mental illness in general. Stigma still exists, whether a person is 'famous' or not. I would agree that some (not necessarily CZJ- I simply don't know) have used it as an accessory to explain away odd/ erratic behaviour when they have just behaved like an a**e. That's the other side of the stigma, I guess. :)
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    me too!

Did you see her on Letterman? I have not watched it but did all sound a bit odd. Surprised the papers didn't report about it at the time as she basically said Prince Charles fondled my breast.

This article has a good picture pre-recording:D
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/11/catherine-zeta-jones_n_2454512.html