Planet Rock

Comments

• nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 3,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    According to Lucio Twitter account It' this last day on Planet Rock?

Wow up to do @planetrockradio breakfast for the last time time. I won't miss the 4.30 alarm calls! And I won't miss my boss. Fun otherwise
    Paul Anthony's replacing him on brekky.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2011/12/paul-anthony-to-do-planet-rock-breakfast/
  • Lingus EI 3298Lingus EI 3298 Posts: 3,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at planet rock website, looked at scedule section and noticed Rob Birnies not on, then went to DJ part and didn't notice him there. So has he left.

I'm not a big fan of station but when I do tune in, I always find him a good voice to listen to
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at planet rock website, looked at scedule section and noticed Rob Birnies not on, then went to DJ part and didn't notice him there. So has he left.

I'm not a big fan of station but when I do tune in, I always find him a good voice to listen to

From PRATS at the end of June:

For those who don't do Facebook, Rob's comment is "Resigned recently due to idiotic way PR's heading. Due to be last day today but decided to be as childish as station's owner & not turn up."
  • Lingus EI 3298Lingus EI 3298 Posts: 3,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    From PRATS at the end of June:

For those who don't do Facebook, Rob's comment is "Resigned recently due to idiotic way PR's heading. Due to be last day today but decided to be as childish as station's owner & not turn up."

Thanks for that, what is going wrong at PR. Whenever I listened it seemed ok
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, what is going wrong at PR. Whenever I listened it seemed ok
    Some people have moaned about the VIP subcription and unfairly in my opinion. Planet Rock is still available to listen free of charge but if you want some extra content you can pay the subscription. What is wrong with that? Planet Rock is now a much better station than it was when GWR owned it so Birnie is just being a idiot in my opinion.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have moaned about the VIP subcription and unfairly in my opinion. Planet Rock is still available to listen free of charge but if you want some extra content you can pay the subscription. What is wrong with that? Planet Rock is now a much better station than it was when GWR owned it so Birnie is just being a idiot in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be fair to hear Rob Birnie's side of the story before branding him? We don't know the full story.

On the occasions I've heard Rob on PR, he's always been the consummate professional.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be fair to hear Rob Birnie's side of the story before branding him? We don't know the full story.

On the occasions I've heard Rob on PR, he's always been the consummate professional.
    OK fair enough but considering he doesn't work there anymore why doesn't he tell us the full story?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notice Jazz FM is now handling advertising for Planet Rock:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/1141840/Planet-Rock-appoints-Jazz-FM-ad-sales/
  • Arewenotmen?Arewenotmen? Posts: 8
    Forum Member

http://audioboo.fm/boos/871435-quick-message-from-rob

Cheers, Rob
  • Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Notice Jazz FM is now handling advertising for Planet Rock:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/1141840/Planet-Rock-appoints-Jazz-FM-ad-sales/

Hmmmm...that is kinda worrying considering they are both completely different formats and the fact that Jazz FM has failed more than once... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    HughR wrote: »
    Rick Wakeman's shows were a good listen especially the one with Keith Emerson as guest :D

Have you a link to this to this?
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Birnie the best presenter they had,now gone ! yet more braindead cheesy replacements like the one on before 9am ? :(
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet Rock is my second favourite station after Radio 2. When Jeremy Vine has some politician on boring me to death, I make a rapid switchover. Also Alice Cooper and Joe Bonamasa are excellent presenters.
  • gothblokegothbloke Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The new mid morning bloke is called Mark Norman - is this the same guy?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/01/mark-norman-leaves-bbc-three-counties/
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    gothbloke wrote: »
    The new mid morning bloke is called Mark Norman - is this the same guy?

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/01/mark-norman-leaves-bbc-three-counties/

It does look like him.

http://www.planetrock.com/on-air/mark-norman/
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever was on mid-morning this morning was dire!

Thank goodness for Darren this afternoon.
  • gothblokegothbloke Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Whoever was on mid-morning this morning was dire!

Thank goodness for Darren this afternoon.

Have to agree - as the PDs I've worked for say: "You're only as good as your last link"

Give him time though. See if he gets any better. He only started last week.
    Forum Member
    Wyatt Wendels seems to be settling in nicely now.

A couple more months and it'll be a shoe-in between him and Sam Hughes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't agree about Wyatt he's poor and comes across as yet another run of the mill deeee jaaay ! that i hate .get rob bernie back quick.i'm in radio limbo now until 12 .so little choice before then.if lauren laverne is off i tune into 6 music .
    Forum Member
    fast left wrote: »
    can't agree about Wyatt he's poor and comes across as yet another run of the mill deeee jaaay ! that i hate .get rob bernie back quick.i'm in radio limbo now until 12 .so little choice before then.if lauren laverne is off i tune into 6 music .

Wyatt's got the gig permanently. The show is moving to 10am-2pm and incorporaing the Rock Block.

Paul Anthony will extend his 6am show by an hour and incorporate the Connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Wyatt's got the gig permanently. The show is moving to 10am-2pm and incorporaing the Rock Block.

Paul Anthony will extend his 6am show by an hour and incorporate the Connection.

going full on cheese mode then :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    After metal hammer being dropped about 2 months ago, and Wyatt now doing the Rock block,as well as Darren doing the entertainment news ,I assume pheobe Winter has now also left?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold6082 wrote: »
    After metal hammer being dropped about 2 months ago, and Wyatt now doing the Rock block,as well as Darren doing the entertainment news ,I assume pheobe Winter has now also left?

I think she has, yes. I think they alternate who does the entertainment news during the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, what exactly WAS the story behind Mark Norman leaving?
    After Rob Birmie left and and a handful of presenters were drafted in to temporarily take over, it was announced that Mark Norman was to be the official replacement.
    He was there for two weeks before Wyatt Wendels took over.
    What happened there?
    I thought Mark Norman was a good replacement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, what exactly WAS the story behind Mark Norman leaving?
    After Rob Birmie left and and a handful of presenters were drafted in to temporarily take over, it was announced that Mark Norman was to be the official replacement.
    He was there for two weeks before Wyatt Wendels took over.
    What happened there?
    I thought Mark Norman was a good replacement.

Well Wyatt Wendels is awful. Unlistenable to! So anyone would be better than him!