Why do you think country music isn't popular in the UK?

koshernostrakoshernostra Posts: 662
Forum Member
✭✭
I have loved it for decades and have seen some of the best over the years (in America) but disappointed it has never taken off in the UK.

Comments

• DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only disappoints me in that I dont get to see the acts I want to see because they dont tour here that often. Thats all, its other people loss for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our ears get polluted with way too much pop

pop seems to be only genre mainstream radio caters for
    and sometimes all that dance music

its a shame as most people miss out on a lot of great music with our obsession of the top 40
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I have loved it for decades and have seen some of the best over the years (in America) but disappointed it has never taken off in the UK.

Genuine question, is country music popular anywhere other than the U.S.?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Canada is second to America as per fan/artist base

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music#International
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's unpopular, we just don't have charts and awards show etc dedicated just to country music. It's big enough for there to be a two-day festival at the 02 next month, which seems to be nearly sold out. My parents saw Brad Paisley at the 02 once and it was sold out. I saw Carrie Underwood at the Royal Albert Hall last year, and it was packed.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Because it's horrible?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's horrible?
    wow..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because to many it all sounds the same. Not just the songs but the singers themselves.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cos 90% of it is crap
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because to many it all sounds the same. Not just the songs but the singers themselves.
    I agree but to a certain extent. To me the new kid named Hunter Hayes sounds like the lead of Rascal Flatts. :eek: :eek: :eek:

God bless you and Hunter and the Flatts always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Cos 90% of it is crap

I'd say more like 95% of it is crap; just like every other genre of music.

There is some brilliant stuff in that other 5% though; just like every other genre of music.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I'd say that country is one of those 'pariah' genres along with jazz, heavy metal and, to some extent, hip-hop that many people will instantly dismiss off-hand based on nothing more than a few lazy stereotypes.

I wouldn't say I'm an aficionado by any means but the small handful of country albums in my collection provide the occasional pleasant diversion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member

Yes, it's very popular in Ireland, North and South.
    The reason being the strong links between Irish traditional music and the origin of Country and Western in the southern states of the US.

My dad has always wondered why the music isn't called Country and Southern as it is really the music of the South not the West?
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because a music genre where all the male singers wear cowboy hats is seen as silly .... quite rightly too.

More seriously the people it's linked to - white working class Americans in the unfashionable parts of that country - aren't going to give the music any street cred or trendiness. It's seen - rightly or wrongly - as the music of rednecks and 'white trash'...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Because a music genre where all the male singers wear cowboy hats is seen as silly .... quite rightly too.

More seriously the people it's linked to - white working class Americans in the unfashionable parts of that country - aren't going to give the music any street cred or trendiness. It's seen - rightly or wrongly - as the music of rednecks and 'white trash'...

On the red dirt roads of Tennessee, Texas and Kentucky C/W has a lot of 'street cred'. Ever listened to Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt or Mary Chapin Carpenter?
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This new song by Gabrielle Aplin has a right country sound about it and you can make out every word she is singing. Lyrics that actually tell a story something sadly lacking in today's current music.
    I first heard this singer with her version of the Frankie goes to hollywood The Power of Love and I fell i love with her voice. She is only 20yrs old and english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNYvk_0Onw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably because the likes of America and Canada have what I would describe as "country places" (i.e. ranches with vast open fields and cowboys with stetsons riding horses using lassos to herd the buffalo, something we don't have.)

The music reflects this.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leann Rimes is still very popular in the uk. She even had a number one single back in 2000.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Her new album will be available on April 9th. :):):)

God bless you and her always!!! :):):)

Holly (a day one fan of her)

P.S. That is the release date for us in the states. :):):)
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think some country stars could really cross over well into the UK. As mentioned above, Carrie Underwood is fantastic and I really hope the UK take to her. As well mentioned above, I think Hunter Hayes would do well over here. I also quite like Little Big Town. They have a song called Tornado that I really like at the moment
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Leann Rimes is still very popular in the uk. She even had a number one single back in 2000.

that was her last big hit here as a solo artist though, 13 years ago.:confused: i really don't think she is still popular in the uk at all.:o
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Martina McBride and Keith Urban is pretty good too. Faith Hill, Alan Jackson and Shania Twain, all good stuff! :)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is british folk music popular in america?.... i dont think so.

c&w though is pretty naff, and it doesnt connect with most people outside america.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

that made me laugh
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is british folk music popular in america?.... i dont think so.

c&w though is pretty naff, and it doesnt connect with most people outside america.

Depends what you mean by 'country'..it's a much abused term. Guys like Steve Earle are lumped in there...but there's a lot more to him ;-)