Tablet that can make buttons appear when you need them

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20970928

looks awesome. it's a regular glass fronted tablet that when the keyboard comes on the display the flat glass raises up and has buttons.

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks very cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I knew the day would come when witchcraft would appear in tech.(crosses himself and spits over left shoulder)
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20970928

looks awesome. it's a regular glass fronted tablet that when the keyboard comes on the display the flat glass raises up and has buttons.

It's obviously not a glass screen. In order for the dimples to appear, the screen must be pliable.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    It's obviously not a glass screen. In order for the dimples to appear, the screen must be pliable.

hard and clear screen, who knows what it is made of. I'm just introducing the article, not writing a paper.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    hard and clear screen, who knows what it is made of. I'm just introducing the article, not writing a paper.

Well nowhere in the article does it mention "glass", so it was you that introduced that into the equation. :D

Plus the screen doesn't look particularly hard. The guy says the effect is caused by controlling a fluid layer in the screen, so the screen is probably softish plastic with a hard backing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I wonder how robust it is with the same dimples appearing in the same place over and over again.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, now that is impressive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    I wonder how robust it is with the same dimples appearing in the same place over and over again.
    Degradation of the screen and response time are probably factors which need to be overcome. I notice it was quite slow to go flat again in that video. Also I wonder how it actually feels when you press those 'bumps'? Still it is a very interesting technology.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only a matter of time till somebody uses it to form some other bumps to touch :D It's a nice idea and it's great to see something more is happening than just "Let's slap more pixels on it".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time till somebody uses it to form some other bumps to touch :D It's a nice idea and it's great to see something more is happening than just "Let's slap more pixels on it".
    Nipples you can actually feel ! :eek: There'll no doubt be hundreds of apps with accompanying sound effects within days of this tablet hitting the market :p
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It does seem like tablets are the least imaginative use.

This may be one of those things where we look back on this thread in five years and can't believe how naieve we were because they're everywhere or we may never see it again.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It creeps me out for some reason .
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love it. Took me ages to agree to lose my phone keypad. As a touch typer, a flat keyboard doesn't cut it.