How long does a replacement driving license take to arrive?

CaractacusPottsCaractacusPotts Posts: 138
Forum Member
I lost my plastic and paper license (go me), so I need a new one. Problem is my only other photo ID is my passport, which they want me to send off to get a replacement. It doesn't mention on the form how long it takes to come back after mailing it off, so how long would I be without ID for if I sent it off? Would they mail my ID back ASAP, or keep it til my new license is ready and send it all together?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Been there! They sent back my Passport in a separate envelope in about 4 days. Licence followed a day or so later.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very quick when I sent mine off.

The passport was returned almost as soon as they got it and checked it, then the licence followed a few days later. Got my licence back less than 2 weeks after sending the application off.

This was around May last year.
  • smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you have to send your passport? I lost my driving licence in December, just rang up & asked for a new one & paid £20 on the phone, and they sent me a new one within a week. I didn't have to send them anything.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Why did you have to send your passport? I lost my driving licence in December, just rang up & asked for a new one & paid £20 on the phone, and they sent me a new one within a week. I didn't have to send them anything.

Mine came in about 7-10 days but it was just an address change.

If they already have your address then no ID will be needed. I guess the other guys had moved house before losing it?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Mine came in about 7-10 days but it was just an address change.

If they already have your address then no ID will be needed. I guess the other guys had moved house before losing it?

I had moved house yes. I also only had the old paper style licence which is what lost.

To get a new photo/paper licence, at the new address I had to send ID.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    just wondering did they just send you the licence or did they send everything again? ive lost my paper work for my provisional and need it to start learning and was jw if they would just send that or if id have to send it all back
  • missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my plastic and paper license (go me), so I need a new one. Problem is my only other photo ID is my passport, which they want me to send off to get a replacement. It doesn't mention on the form how long it takes to come back after mailing it off, so how long would I be without ID for if I sent it off? Would they mail my ID back ASAP, or keep it til my new license is ready and send it all together?

The other half changed address on a paper license, not sure if he had to send his licence or just ticked a box that gave them permission to check with UKPA. His was back in a week.

I had a photocard licence anyway, changed the address and it took about 10 days.