vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
Forum Member
✭✭
..what an incredible film.

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I hadn't seen the film. It was that good.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gritty, Unsettling, upsetting and amazing performances. What its all about, screw huge budgets and special effects and $20 million leading man who's the same in every film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to watch it last night. Is it as good as people say?. But I have heard there is an unpleasant scene involving a dog. Is it v bad?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't seen the film. It was that good.

Indeed. It's not often a film can genuinly upset me but this did. Big time. When Olivia Coleman falls apart I found it almost unwatchable.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good film. Olivia Coleman was robbed not only of a BAFTA nomination, but she deserved an oscar for her performance in this film. For someone who normally does comedy, she has made the leap to doing dramatic roles perfectly. One of the most haunting performances from an actress that left a chilling and last effect from me in years.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Meant to watch it last night. Is it as good as people say?. But I have heard there is an unpleasant scene involving a dog. Is it v bad?

I haven't read any reviews but I thought the film was dark, disturbing and hard to forget.

The dog scenes could be worse but judicious editing of the violence if not the results save it from being too upsetting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night and was completely transfixed by it. Best British film in years, Olivia Colman and Peter Mullan were outstanding.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    Been meaning to watch this. Not seen a good dinosaur movie for ages!!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Not sure about anyone else but i found the most unpleasant scene being where James pisses over his wife i honestly could not believe it :(
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is as good as people say it is. And the directorial debut of Paddy Considine I do believe?

There's a time and a place for a Hollywood blockbuster, of course. You just can't beat a low budget, gritty english movie. Sometimes they really tell a story of the human condition.

People should also check out "A Room for Romeo Brass"...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Really great powerful movie.

Not sure I'd watch it again though:(
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it last night. I've had it on my rental list for a while now so will have to watch it soon.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I redorded this have wanted to see it for a while..I watched early this morning..I had read about the violence and had an idea of what to expect..deep,dark and haunting..

More than the dog scene, the scene with the little boy upset me..and Olivia Colemans admission.

Olivia Coleman was perfect casting..her voice just reels me in anyway..had seen Mullen in the Red Riding drama trilogy on channel 4 and enjoyed his performance in both..

Am not about to delete it yet..want to give it another viewing..was scared it wasnt going to live up to my expectations after waiting,.but it surpassed them...well done Paddy..
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching after a while because I decided that it would probably end with him killing her and I don't like nasty stuff. But it seems I was probably wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    it's a great film, utterly depressing but extremely honest and touching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Absolutely epic film. As someone says above - it's when Olivia Coleman has the breakdown that it really hits those new levels. I literally sobbed at the end of this film. Absolutely magnificant.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it at all - it's so relentlessly bleak and grim to the point of ridiculousness. The acting is good but it wasn't for me.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finkly wrote: »
    I didn't like it at all - it's so relentlessly bleak and grim to the point of ridiculousness. The acting is good but it wasn't for me.

I know what you mean, but for some reason the way the story was told I had [wanted] to keep on watching.
    How can something so simple come across so interesting?

I tape lots of film 4 stuff and sometimes FF through them, this one made me enjoy a film right to the end.
    Forum Member
    spoty wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but for some reason the way the story was told I had [wanted] to keep on watching.
    How can something so simple come across so interesting?

I tape lots of film 4 stuff and sometimes FF through them, this one made me enjoy a film right to the end.

I am the same..I record lots of film 4 films especially if they sound a bit odd..there was a blackand white film a few months ago.l.with an elderly couple ,brother and sister who knocked a young man off his bike and the whole film was about them taking him back to their house in the middle of nowhere..she dressed him in her dead brothers clothes and tried to sabotage her brother burying the young man..the woman was the only person to talk through the whole fim..cant remember the name of it but for some reason I sat riveted for the whole film..my husband walked in and said the usual "what the hell are you watching"..he doesnt share my taste in films at all..I recorded Rita,Sue and Bob too last night..am just about to get my ironing board out and watch it whilst I am ironing..havent watched this film for ages and itsa bit of nostalgia..at mid 40s it takes me back to school days..will show it my 16 and 18 year old later as I think it is probably up their street now.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speaking from the position of being a scottish alcoholic, I thought Mullan's performance was note perfect.

I didn't think it was too bleak, it is what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member

FWIW, I agree with you. I found it all a little unfocused, and while I understand what Considine was getting at, there was something about it that didn't quite work for me. I think it would have been better if it had focused on Mullan's character OR Colman's character. Having them both in the same film was too much misery for 90 minutes, and left both characters a bit under-developed.

For instance, what happened to Colman's faith? Her character is introduced as a devout Christian, yet after her first scene it's barely mentioned again! There are other little things that bugged me, too.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched it, and I'll look forward to watching Considine's future films, but I found this a little underwhelming compared to the praise it got.
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    FWIW, I agree with you. I found it all a little unfocused, and while I understand what Considine was getting at, there was something about it that didn't quite work for me. I think it would have been better if it had focused on Mullan's character OR Colman's character. Having them both in the same film was too much misery for 90 minutes, and left both characters a bit under-developed.

For instance, what happened to Colman's faith? Her character is introduced as a devout Christian, yet after her first scene it's barely mentioned again! There are other little things that bugged me, too.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched it, and I'll look forward to watching Considine's future films, but I found this a little underwhelming compared to the praise it got.

I thought the two characters stories were essential..Mullan was painted as violent and hints were given that he was violent towards his wife..which given that he was trying to rescue Olivia Colemans characterfrom domestiv violence and abuse was keyto the story..alsoOlivias faith was shown at the beginning then when her husband left the charity shop threatening what was coming later shethrew something at the photo of Jesus and said what are you looking at..then went out drinking to avoid going home..I think this showed her questioning her faith and wondering why when she showed such faith did she still suffer..she had sat with her husbands head on her lap repeating over and over that she forgave him..maybe her faith gave her the strength to outwardly forgive him and deal with her pain..although itsounded more like a mantra than actually meant when she was forgiving him..thats my take anyway.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gritty, Unsettling, upsetting and amazing performances. What its all about, screw huge budgets and special effects and $20 million leading man who's the same in every film.
    Too true. Some of the best films I've seen have been low budget/high quality. Warp who were involved in the making of this have just celebrated their 10th birthday. Here's to the next 10!
    Very good film. Olivia Coleman was robbed not only of a BAFTA nomination, but she deserved an oscar for her performance in this film. For someone who normally does comedy, she has made the leap to doing dramatic roles perfectly. One of the most haunting performances from an actress that left a chilling and last effect from me in years.
    She was also excellent in BBCs The Accused. As you say, she's known for her comedy work but boy can she do tragedy.
    It is as good as people say it is. And the directorial debut of Paddy Considine I do believe?

There's a time and a place for a Hollywood blockbuster, of course. You just can't beat a low budget, gritty english movie. Sometimes they really tell a story of the human condition.

People should also check out "A Room for Romeo Brass"...
    IMO Paddy Considine is one of the best British actors around and I hope he directs more films. I'll add Dead Man's Shoes along with Romeo Brass. Both Shane Meadows' films showing Paddy at his sociopathic best!
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead Man's Shoes is a piece of work, that's for sure.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last night and found it strangely uplifting!
    As above Dead Mans Shoes is an absolute classic.