shellac DIY

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
Has anyone tried do apply shellac at home?
I've been looking on ebay and there is lots of supplies that seem pretty cheap.
I used to do my own acrylics years ago and did a pretty good job and that meant having to get the mix of liquid and powder right, but shellac surely is just being neat with the application 1 base coat 2 colour a top coat and using a UV lamp for each layer and using 99% alcohol after to take off the residue?
and removal just soaking in pure acetone?

anyone got any advice is Creative nail shellac better than the cheaper brands like blue sky?
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CND (Creative) Shellac is a lot better than Blue Sky. I wouldn't recommend buying products like this on eBay - you really don't know what you're buying for one thing, and you're possibly funding all kinds of dodgy activity for another. Why would you want to take the chance, just to save a couple of pounds?

You really need to use the whole system and also the correct CND lamp, as the product will not cure properly using a generic UV lamp. Shellac is a truly innovational product which gives up to 14 days' chip-free wear when applied correctly and doesn't damage the natural nail, but why not go to a professional nail tech who will apply it properly for you and give the appropriate aftercare advice? :)
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    thank you for your reply,
    What is the difference between a CND UV lamp and a non branded one ?
    I'm not sure how buying nail supplies from a large UK based seller is contributing to something dodgy?
    I dont want to pay £25 a time for something I can do at home if I can have a go and do a good job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CND Shellac is a hybrid polish developed from years of research. It isn't a gel, it is the only product of its kind. The specific CND lamp has been developed alongside the product, again after years of research. You will find that all professional UV-cured systems require their own lamp to obtain best results, otherwise you may find that the product doesn't cure properly.

As regards buying from eBay - Sweet Squared in Leeds are the sole UK distributors for CND. They market Shellac and other CND products through a very small group of distributors, none of which would ever sell via eBay. Therefore there is a very strong chance that the "Shellac" you buy on eBay is fake. A "large UK based seller" is no guarantee of anything unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    CND Shellac is a hybrid polish developed from years of research. It isn't a gel, it is the only product of its kind. The specific CND lamp has been developed alongside the product, again after years of research. You will find that all professional UV-cured systems require their own lamp to obtain best results, otherwise you may find that the product doesn't cure properly.

As regards buying from eBay - Sweet Squared in Leeds are the sole UK distributors for CND. They market Shellac and other CND products through a very small group of distributors, none of which would ever sell via eBay. Therefore there is a very strong chance that the "Shellac" you buy on eBay is fake. A "large UK based seller" is no guarantee of anything unfortunately.

but its just a UV lamp?
    Im guessing you are a CND nail techinician?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but its just a UV lamp?
    Im guessing you are a CND nail techinician?

It's a UV lamp with a specific output and performance which has been designed to work alongside Shellac. But if you think that's nonsense and a cheap lamp which you can buy from an eBay seller will work just as well then go for it! I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

And no, you guessed wrong - I'm a midwife.:)
    Forum Member
    It's a UV lamp with a specific output and performance which has been designed to work alongside Shellac. But if you think that's nonsense and a cheap lamp which you can buy from an eBay seller will work just as well then go for it! I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

And no, you guessed wrong - I'm a midwife.:)

whats your opinion on OPI gel and gelish?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats your opinion on OPI gel and gelish?

I think they're both really good products with an excellent range of colours. But I personally favour Shellac as it's a hybrid polish whereas the other 2 are gel polishes, and my own nails don't need the added strength of gel.

I'm also a big CND fan, I think they're the best professional range by far - I don't consider OPI or Nail Harmony (Gelish) to be true professional ranges anymore when you can buy them in Sally's. You can even buy OPI in Departures at Gatwick.
    Forum Member
    thanks
    I have just come across a thread on a site called salon geek that turned very nasty about CND v bluesky.
    I am guessing that bluesky is a brand that is frowned upon
    OPI, Jessica and Gelish are recognised brands that can be used with any standard UV lamp?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure TBH - I think Nail Harmony say any 36W lamp for Gelish? Apparently it's the voltage that's the issue with Shellac, which is why you need the correct lamp.

Yes you're right, Bluesky is a dirty word on Salon Geek! You can understand why though, when a lot of nail techs have obviously spent a small fortune on genuine stock and training. There are as many fake nail products out there as there are handbags, shoes, sunglasses etc and if people unwittingly buy fake or Bluesky Shellac and it fails to perform then it obviously discredits the brand.

But you will find out loads of useful information on Salon Geek, about all of the ranges. They do get a bit upset when non-professionals ask how to do things though! ;)
    Forum Member
    right then,
    I'm steering away from CND Shellac and the bluesky.

Might try the gelish as a friend has a Sallys card, I can see other prices online on the site but not the gelish, would be nice to know before I go down, don't want to waste my friends time.

You've been very helpful thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem :)

You might find that only the larger Sally's stock Gelish - think they're called Salon Services? Also, if they don't have the colours you want in stock then they will order them in for you apparently.

Incidentally - for most of the professional suppliers you only actually need a manicure certificate to be able to open a trade account (same goes for Sally's). So if you've got more than a passing interest in nails it might be worth your while to do a manicure course - a lot of places run a one day course for around £75, it won't be the best but you'll get a certificate; or you might find your local college runs a manicure course quite cheaply (especially if you're entitled to any concessions). You could then buy Shellac, Gelish, OPI or whatever direct. Just a thought! ;)
    Forum Member
    No problem :)

You might find that only the larger Sally's stock Gelish - think they're called Salon Services? Also, if they don't have the colours you want in stock then they will order them in for you apparently.

Incidentally - for most of the professional suppliers you only actually need a manicure certificate to be able to open a trade account (same goes for Sally's). So if you've got more than a passing interest in nails it might be worth your while to do a manicure course - a lot of places run a one day course for around £75, it won't be the best but you'll get a certificate; or you might find your local college runs a manicure course quite cheaply (especially if you're entitled to any concessions). You could then buy Shellac, Gelish, OPI or whatever direct. Just a thought! ;)

Ill bear that in mind thanks
    Forum Member
    just another quick one,
    If you had a shellac or gelish french manicure could you put regular nail polish over the top and remove it with acetone free nail varnish remover and not damage the shellac?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes :)
    Forum Member
    Yes :)

Thanks
  • chicaxschicaxs Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Hi!

I resorted to doing Shellac DIY and it is the best thing ever. It is very easy and simple to use, just takes some practise to get the best finish. At first I was reading salon geek regarding the Bluesky vs CND. I personally wanted to test shellac for ease of use, so for budget reasons, I purchased bluesky.

I do not regret it and now I have about 8 colours. At the end of the day we are in a recession and I cannot justify spending double the amount on polish that CND have made. I totally respect them, and actually purchased 3 colours but its very expensive. I have had no problems with bluesky, and yes it may be wrong that they are ripping of CND and nail technitions have worked very hard, but I have a budget and would rather spend it economically. I think its very wrong for people to attack others using bluesky just for 'political' reasons. Were all not rich you know.

Anyway for me, the finish is EXACTLY the same. The colours are as vibrant, and it takes 2 weeks until they start to grow. I love the bluesky range, and would continue to use them as at the end of the day - a lot of people are on a budget and cater for those that cannot afoord to spend 17.95 on one polish. I thought I would share my views on that.

The UV lamp was about was 15.95 on ebay, and does the job perfectly well.

Good luck, go for it!
    Forum Member
    chicaxs wrote: »
    Hi!

I resorted to doing Shellac DIY and it is the best thing ever. It is very easy and simple to use, just takes some practise to get the best finish. At first I was reading salon geek regarding the Bluesky vs CND. I personally wanted to test shellac for ease of use, so for budget reasons, I purchased bluesky.

I do not regret it and now I have about 8 colours. At the end of the day we are in a recession and I cannot justify spending double the amount on polish that CND have made. I totally respect them, and actually purchased 3 colours but its very expensive. I have had no problems with bluesky, and yes it may be wrong that they are ripping of CND and nail technitions have worked very hard, but I have a budget and would rather spend it economically. I think its very wrong for people to attack others using bluesky just for 'political' reasons. Were all not rich you know.

Anyway for me, the finish is EXACTLY the same. The colours are as vibrant, and it takes 2 weeks until they start to grow. I love the bluesky range, and would continue to use them as at the end of the day - a lot of people are on a budget and cater for those that cannot afoord to spend 17.95 on one polish. I thought I would share my views on that.

Good luck, go for it!

How do you find removing the bluesky ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi!

Good luck, go for it!

Bluesky products come from China and don't comply with the strict regulations we have for cosmetics in Europe and the UK. Therefore it can't legally be marketed in the UK, and it is only available to buy on sites like eBay. As China doesn't have the same cosmetics regulations that we have, you should be aware that it may contain ingredients which are harmful to the nail - even if, as you say, the finish is exactly the same. A qualified UK nail technician would not be covered by his/her professional insurance if his/her client experienced problems after using Bluesky Shellac - doesn't this tell you something? Or do you think that the insurers are in cahoots with CND? ;)

It's always possible to buy cheap fake products if you're so inclined - nail polish, handbags, sunglasses, you name it. But buying fake cosmetics really isn't a good idea - did you know, for example, that traces of mercury had been found in fake Benefit mascara? I would rather go without, personally, than take that risk to save a few pounds. But each to his own I guess! :)

As for your comment that it's very wrong to attack others using Bluesky just for "political" reasons - it's well-known that the producers of counterfeit items in the Far East are linked to organised crime and it is also known that in some cases the proceeds have been destined for terrorism funding. That's without mentioning the horrendous working conditions, the pitifully low wages and zilch in the way of workers' rights. But if you'd prefer to conveniently label this as "political reasons" in order to justify saving a few pounds on making your nails look nice then that's your call. I agree with what you say, we're not all rich - but morals and a social conscience cost nothing.
    Forum Member
    How do you find removing the bluesky ??

Easy, I wrap them in foil with acetone, and it comes off very easily. You can watch the videos on how to do this on YouTube, very easily done :) Takes about 10 minutes.
    Forum Member
    Bluesky products come from China and don't comply with the strict regulations we have for cosmetics in Europe and the UK. Therefore it can't legally be marketed in the UK, and it is only available to buy on sites like eBay. As China doesn't have the same cosmetics regulations that we have, you should be aware that it may contain ingredients which are harmful to the nail - even if, as you say, the finish is exactly the same. A qualified UK nail technician would not be covered by his/her professional insurance if his/her client experienced problems after using Bluesky Shellac - doesn't this tell you something? Or do you think that the insurers are in cahoots with CND? ;)

It's always possible to buy cheap fake products if you're so inclined - nail polish, handbags, sunglasses, you name it. But buying fake cosmetics really isn't a good idea - did you know, for example, that traces of mercury had been found in fake Benefit mascara? I would rather go without, personally, than take that risk to save a few pounds. But each to his own I guess! :)

As for your comment that it's very wrong to attack others using Bluesky just for "political" reasons - it's well-known that the producers of counterfeit items in the Far East are linked to organised crime and it is also known that in some cases the proceeds have been destined for terrorism funding. That's without mentioning the horrendous working conditions, the pitifully low wages and zilch in the way of workers' rights. But if you'd prefer to conveniently label this as "political reasons" in order to justify saving a few pounds on making your nails look nice then that's your call. I agree with what you say, we're not all rich - but morals and a social conscience cost nothing.

To each their own, but just to note

1.) Nails are not damaged, perfectly healthy. And, oh so predict someone to say (wait a few months/years.... well I have been using this for nearly a year, and no damage, in and out. :)

2.) Going down the Social/Moralistic route is kind of cheap. Did you know most of the inports come from china here in the U.K , So if you would are really against the issue, you would really not be able to buy anything.

3.) It is 'Political' for those that attack Bluesky. It's also CND's commodity to try and accomodate the mass market by their trademark. That's why they raise their prices because it is 'legally' appropiate to buy their Shellac. My thoughts are, if a product does EXACTLY the same, without causing damage to my nails, probably made with the same ingrediants for half the price, why shouldn't the consumer mass market buy it?

Oh, we shouldn't because CND and their nail technictions get ticked off. Not a good enough reason for me and my bank budgets, so will continue to buy Bluesky unless of course its unavailable online/CND lower their prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To each their own, but just to note

1.) Nails are not damaged, perfectly healthy. And, oh so predict someone to say (wait a few months/years.... well I have been using this for nearly a year, and no damage, in and out. :)

2.) Going down the Social/Moralistic route is kind of cheap. Did you know most of the inports come from china here in the U.K , So if you would are really against the issue, you would really not be able to buy anything.

3.) It is 'Political' for those that attack Bluesky. It's also CND's commodity to try and accomodate the mass market by their trademark. That's why they raise their prices because it is 'legally' appropiate to buy their Shellac. My thoughts are, if a product does EXACTLY the same, without causing damage to my nails, probably made with the same ingrediants for half the price, why shouldn't the consumer mass market buy it?

Oh, we shouldn't because CND and their nail technictions get ticked off. Not a good enough reason for me and my bank budgets, so will continue to buy Bluesky unless of course its unavailable online/CND lower their prices.

Interesting reply, although you do seem to have cherry-picked from the points I raised in my post and only addressed some of the issues regarding Bluesky.

What are your views on the fact that it isn't licenced in the UK, that it cannot therefore be sold legally in the UK and that a nail technician working in the UK wouldn't be covered by his/her professional indemnity insurance to use Bluesky Shellac, if you don't mind me asking?
    Forum Member
    Interesting reply, although you do seem to have cherry-picked from the points I raised in my post and only addressed some of the issues regarding Bluesky.

What are your views on the fact that it isn't licenced in the UK, that it cannot therefore be sold legally in the UK and that a nail technician working in the UK wouldn't be covered by his/her professional indemnity insurance to use Bluesky Shellac, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind you asking.:D

The fact that it is not licenced, does not mean it is not available for DIY. It's not licenced because Bluesky seemed to have copied all the shades and naming. Does not mean it is less of a quality, as I said, it does the same thing.

I agree nail techs should use CND for corporate insurance and would be nonsensical for them to use Bluesky.

But were not talking about beauty business are we? Were discussing DIY? Nail techs do not like bluesky because eople can use it at home, DIY, without paying a salon to do it for them, albeit with the legit CND.

Hope that answers your questions, and excuse the cherry picking, not deliberate, just on a budget and on time constraints in responding to threads during work ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the last reply to this thread is over a month ago, but i just started getting into this. I had a proper gel mani done at my local salon but it cost me about £30, but it was for my holiday so it was a treat but i loved how my nails turned out. So i decided to do it myself.

I use Harmony Gelish and i did my first french manicure now i'm hooked. :D

I bought a 36w lamp from Ebay cost me about £15 (was worried it would be useless cos of the price but it works!)

I bought a GELISH MINI BASIX ESSENTIALS STARTER KIT from ebay for £34.85 and away i went.

I've now bought some mini gems and a konad nail stamping kit with the special polishes (you have to use the special polishes for it to work properly, only £4 tho)

So I'm having loads of fun, but I'm not gonna buy anymore nail stuff as the price does add up.

I might even give the bluesky a try :D;)
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ressurected this thread to check something.

They appear to sell CND Shellac products on Amazon. Are these the genuine article? Just wondered as information I have seen seems to suggest CND is only usually sold to professionals through their own site.

Having said that I can't see Amazon selling something that isn't genuine.

Am also looking at this lamp. Can anyone in the know confirm that this would do the job?

Many thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That lamp is like mine, so it will work. But have a look on ebay because mine was £15 (dunno about P&P though)

I would have thought the shellac on amazon would be the real deal.
    They always say professional use but you can buy these polishes on other websites. Just make sure the price isn't too cheap that could tell you something. ;)

Have you tried Geleration by Jessica, i got a bottle and it's very good. Got it from here http://www.colourednails.co.uk/