Universal Remotes: Humax HDR-1000S

Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all.

Got my Humax HDR-1000S 1TB box this week and I do love it! However I dislike the remote and being unable to control my amp from the remote control - and the volume control on the Humax box is not consistent in all the apps.

Anyone able to recommend a non-expensive Univeral remote control that is able to control the Humax box and my Yahama amp (most have the amp codes as it's a common code even Sky and Virgin remotes have the amp codes)

Was looking at http://www.oneforall.co.uk/en_UK/product/1/universal-remotes/2/comfort/377/simple-4 but it doesn't say weather it supports the Humax box.

Cheers

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly the HDR-1000S uses the same basic remote as other Humax units. I have seen threads on DS about the 1000S remote controlling Humax Freeview recorders and vice versa for example.

The One For All website doesn't seem to recognise the HDR 1000S but does know about the HDR Fox T2 Freeview recorder. It gives a code of 2443. So it might be worth giving that a go and see what happens.

Or maybe get a different Humax remote that can control multiple devices such as this for the Fox T2?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HUMAX-FOX-REMOTE-CONTROL-RM-F04/dp/B003HSHNHA
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I've got a Smart Control One For All remote http://www.oneforall.co.uk/en_UK/product/1/universal-remotes/2/comfort/144/smartcontrol
    Its got some basic Humax functions pre-installed, but its also a learning remote so you can copy all existing buttons from the original remote and and save them to any button you like on the one for all remote.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Harmony 300

It'll control 4 devices and is under £20.

It's very easy to programme via their web app too.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I use a Logitech Harmony 600 remote with the HDR-1000S and it works well. The 600 is about twice the price (£40) of the 300 (£19) but has a small LCD screen on which you can program additional buttons to scroll through (using a PC and USB), e.g. Recordings. It's activity based and will automatically turn on/off TV, PVR and Amp (and DVD/Blu-ray) as required.

The HDR-1000S is a bit backward when it comes to remote codes though, it has no discrete on/off commands, only a toggle. At least on the older Humax HDR you could use a number to turn the box on and the toggle to turn it off, but not on the Freetime box, only the power button works when it's in standby. So much for progress.
    Forum Member
    Sometime in the past year one of the firmware updates has meant that a number button (e.g. 1) will now turn on the HDR-1000S, which slightly improve things with a universal remote. Now, at least the remote won't turn off the box when trying to turn it on when it's already on (because you've been watching it somewhere else through an HDMI splitter for example).

Also handy when you're using the box remotely with an IR extender and can't see whether it's on or off. Saves you a few seconds turning on (or leaving on) the Humax with a 1 before the remote TV is powered on and on the HDMI input.

James
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A well out of date thread.
    The HDR-1000S now ships with the RM-I08U remote (which is also shipped with the HB-1000S). It will also control the TV.
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    A well out of date thread.
    The HDR-1000S now ships with the RM-I08U remote (which is also shipped with the HB-1000S). It will also control the TV.

Not a particular friendly, relevant or helpful comment. I was simply updating the information I posted a year or so ago as I said. Many people don't have that new remote, and even if I did I'd still want a universal remote to control other devices (AV Receiver, Blu-ray Player etc.) and to turn everything on/off and set it to the right input with a single button press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Not a particular friendly, relevant or helpful comment".

It certainly is relevant to the OP's post and also gives the new remote model number should anyone be interested..

Sorry you did not think it was friendly however.

BTW I have seen 0 mentioned as a wake up code before.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Regarding the volume issue. What I did with mine was flick to and fro between Freeview and Freesat on the TV making minor adjustments until the volumes were equalised. Once that was achieved I then used the TV to control the volume not the Humax - works perfectly.

Regarding the remotes themselves I think I must be out of step with a lot of users. I would hate one remote controlling all my devices, it all gets too complicated trying to remember what button controls which device. I have no less than five remotes on the coffee table laid out like surgical instruments. :D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosferatu wrote: »
    Sometime in the past year one of the firmware updates has meant that a number button (e.g. 1) will now turn on the HDR-1000S, which slightly improve things with a universal remote. Now, at least the remote won't turn off the box when trying to turn it on when it's already on (because you've been watching it somewhere else through an HDMI splitter for example).

Also handy when you're using the box remotely with an IR extender and can't see whether it's on or off. Saves you a few seconds turning on (or leaving on) the Humax with a 1 before the remote TV is powered on and on the HDMI input.

James

It does also have a discrete power off command that works with a Harmony remote.
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Regarding the remotes themselves I think I must be out of step with a lot of users. I would hate one remote controlling all my devices, it all gets too complicated trying to remember what button controls which device. I have no less than five remotes on the coffee table laid out like surgical instruments. :D
    Not sure how you think it's complicated,
    Press TV = operates the TV
    Press DVD = operates the DVD/Blu Ray player
    Press SAT = operates Freeview/Satellite equipment Etc etc.
    (Other One For All remotes have differently named modes.)
    You can even set up a specific button to perform certain commands ie: 1 button press can turn on both the TV and a Freesat box.
    You can also have the remote setup to use either the TV or Amp volume across all modes so you don't have to change to a different mode to operate the TV volume when for example using satellite mode.

So much less complicated than remembering which 1 of 5 remotes operates each device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You can even set up a specific button to perform certain commands ie: 1 button press can turn on both the TV and a Freesat box.
    You can also have the remote setup to use either the TV or Amp volume across all modes so you don't have to change to a different mode to operate the TV volume when for example using satellite mode.

So much less complicated than remembering which 1 of 5 remotes operates each device.

OK if all your devices are still IR controlled.
    My ISP unit (TV/DVD/Games) is all radio controlled. No line of sight issues.
    Forum Member

Not really - I have two Panasonic DVD's one of which is also a DVDR then there is my Apple TV the Panasonic TV and the Humax. Each remote has it's own label plus I can tell at a glance which is which.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really - I have two Panasonic DVD's one of which is also a DVDR then there is my Apple TV the Panasonic TV and the Humax. Each remote has it's own label plus I can tell at a glance which is which.

That's still 5 remotes.

It's much easier with one remote and contrary to what you said remembering the keys is easier with one. You have one remote in which to remember the position of each key rather than remembering the key positions of each of 5 different remotes - that has to be simpler.

For example to get the "TV guide" it's top right of the remote, "menu" is top left. "Exit" is bottom right and "back" is left 2/3 down. This is for all devices, using individual remotes these are all over the place.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    That's still 5 remotes.

It's much easier with one remote and contrary to what you said remembering the keys is easier with one. You have one remote in which to remember the position of each key rather than remembering the key positions of each of 5 different remotes - that has to be simpler.

For example to get the "TV guide" it's top right of the remote, "menu" is top left. "Exit" is bottom right and "back" is left 2/3 down. This is for all devices, using individual remotes these are all over the place.

I have a One for All in a drawer which is why I still use 5 remotes. You may find them easier but for all my equipment I do not. Can the OFA control my Sonos soundbar or my Apple TV or the apps drawer on my Smart TV? I don't think so. The OFA could also be described as a Jack of All Trades and we all know the next line.
    Forum Member
    Can the OFA control my Sonos soundbar or my Apple TV or the apps drawer on my Smart TV? I don't think so.
    Of course a OFA remote can, why wouldn't it? :confused:
    Even if there's no remote code pre-programmed, nearly all OFA remotes have a learning feature to copy all the existing buttons of the original remotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a One for All in a drawer which is why I still use 5 remotes. You may find them easier but for all my equipment I do not. Can the OFA control my Sonos soundbar or my Apple TV or the apps drawer on my Smart TV? I don't think so. The OFA could also be described as a Jack of All Trades and we all know the next line.

I haven't used a One For All recently but certainly my Harmony can, you can apply any command to any key including the LCD special keys.

Often you can program commands that aren't even on the original remote such as selecting HDM1 on my Panny TV.
    Forum Member
    Of course a OFA remote can, why wouldn't it? :confused:
    Even if there's no remote code pre-programmed, nearly all OFA remotes have a learning feature to copy all the existing buttons of the original remotes.

Well because the Sonos doesn't use a remote other than to set the volume. The Sonos uses an app either via a tablet smartphone or PC. In the first instance you have to get into the menu system of the TV to disable the TV's sound and allow the Sonos soundbar to take over. Not sure about Apple TV either. You know what Apple are like for having a closed system. Again I can use an App to control Apple TV or the Apple remote.

I have each HDMI input set to a designated product. When I switch inputs I pick up the remote for that product, what could be easier? I don't need to use different buttons on a universal remote, I simply use the right tool for the job.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    I don't need to use different buttons on a universal remote.
    Neither do I. I use the same button on the same remote for the same function no matter which device I am currently using.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have each HDMI input set to a designated product. When I switch inputs I pick up the remote for that product, what could be easier? I don't need to use different buttons on a universal remote, I simply use the right tool for the job.

You are using different buttons because each remote will have a different layout, it's only when you use a universal remote that the buttons remain in the same place.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    My Harmony one...the best gadget I have bought,
    would never go back to all those remotes
    Forum Member
    Well because the Sonos doesn't use a remote other than to set the volume.

Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding the Sonos, but once it's been first setup what other functions would you be using other that turning it on and changing the volume?
    Anyhow on the Sonos site they give instructions on how to set it up with a Universal remote https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/soundbar_tv_volume_help
    Not sure about Apple TV either. You know what Apple are like for having a closed system.
    You've got two options
    1) just use the learning feature of the universal remote to copy over the button functions to your desired position.
    2) follow the instructions that Apple provide http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    You are using different buttons because each remote will have a different layout, it's only when you use a universal remote that the buttons remain in the same place.
    Remembering which does what on what device is a bit of a trick (especially on the non learning models).

Here in France, I have more remotes than anyone (Perhaps?), 11 for shutters, 1 for each, 9 are wall mounted and are multiple-programmed. So 1 press of the programmed master does close down the whole house. Other close the side the sun is shining on etc.

Add to that the two Humax units, (both now with identical remotes) - While a universal IR remote could operate most of my kit (except the radio controlled one) , it would not be in the one in six rooms room that I wanted to use it.

The TV remote and two other are so seldom used they are in a cupboard (as is the Harmony Allinone I bought 18 months ago, one which does not learn).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    TBH as well as my main Harmony 555 I do use a secondary multi-device remote to tweak TV and AV amp settings if need be.
    Forum Member
    Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding the Sonos, but once it's been first setup what other functions would you be using other that turning it on and changing the volume?
    Anyhow on the Sonos site they give instructions on how to set it up with a Universal remote

The Sonos serves all my audio needs i.e. iTunes, Spotify, media on my NAS as well as TV audio, which is why it has its own app. The only function a TV remote plays is to set the audio level, which the app also does. The app however is a fully featured functional part of the Sonos which you can't do without.
    You've got two options
    1) just use the learning feature of the universal remote to copy over the button functions to your desired position.
    2) follow the instructions that Apple provide

Not particularly elegant, again using the iPad app for ATV is far easier.

TBH I have three Panasonic products in my setup so whilst I might have to use a few different buttons all three remotes are remarkably similar with the volume button being universal. Even the Panasonic TV now has its own app so again the remote app is just as functional as an AIO device.

Finally, the Humax - this box too has now got its own app both for Android and iOS.

As said previously I have an AIO gathering dust. Wife took one look and said 'I'm not using that'.