iPad vs iPhone

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
Forum Member
✭✭
Out of curiosity, what can an iPad do that an iPhone (4) cannot, apart from providing a bigger screen?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make you visible as a pretentious snob and mugging target from a greater distance?
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if the iPad is a cellular version, then you can FaceTime of 3G.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what can an iPad do that an iPhone (4) cannot, apart from providing a bigger screen?

Nothing really. You can't make calls or send texts from even a cellular enabled iPad.

However, and iPad is a great device for web, email and games.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Nothing really. You can't make calls or send texts from even a cellular enabled iPad.

However, and iPad is a great device for web, email and games.
    As I suspected.

I use an iPhone which came as part of an upgrade from my phone provider, and it is fine for the web and for emails (I don't do gaming) and just wondered if there would be anything to gain from a tablet (iPad would have been the obvious as I am used to the iOS, even though my PC is Windows) but it would seem that there would not. I would only have been using it around the house.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first and only smartphone is the iphone 4.
    About 3 months ago i bought the ipad 3.

If i didnt have either right now, id go for a normal/cheap mobile phone (no inet), and get the ipad 3.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"apart from providing a bigger screen"? That's the main thing, though. An iPad (or other tablet) is far superior to an iPhone (or other smartphone) for games, browsing, videos, etc. because of the larger screen.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    My first and only smartphone is the iphone 4.
    About 3 months ago i bought the ipad 3.

If i didnt have either right now, id go for a normal/cheap mobile phone (no inet), and get the ipad 3.
    ipad4 you mean? came out 2nd november
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member

Not much it can't even make phone calls
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    "apart from providing a bigger screen"? That's the main thing, though. An iPad (or other tablet) is far superior to an iPhone (or other smartphone) for games, browsing, videos, etc. because of the larger screen.

Exactly. You can actually watch tv or a movie on the iPad (or any other tablet of course)..it's not really feasible on a Smartphone. Same with browsing, much easier to navigate pages. Different experience entirely in my opinion.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I suspected.
    Apple market the iPad and iPhone as diverged devices.

Its why I bought a Tab 2 7 3G.
    At the moment Google and Samsung do not try to make Android into a diverged platform.

And obviously when using the same chips its probably simpler to just leave the phone system working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    ipad4 you mean? came out 2nd november
    No, the "New iPad" is its official name, people slang it as the ipad 3.

ipad
    ipad 2
    new ipad (3)
    mini ipad

I personally wouldnt give the ipad mini a slang name of ipad 4.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the "New iPad" is its official name, people slang it as the ipad 3.

ipad
    ipad 2
    new ipad (3)
    mini ipad

I personally wouldnt give the ipad mini a slang name of ipad 4.

Actually, I thought it was....

iPad - released April/May 2010
    IPad 2 - released March 2011
    New iPad (3) - released March 2012
    iPad with Retina Display (4) - released Nov 2012

The iPad Mini is then basically a smaller iPad 2 with added Siri, also released Nov 2012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. You can actually watch tv or a movie on the iPad (or any other tablet of course)..it's not really feasible on a Smartphone. Same with browsing, much easier to navigate pages. Different experience entirely in my opinion.

In addition, the screen simply being physically bigger isn't the only advantage. A number of apps are specifically designed to take advantage of the iPad's extra screen size, with extra functions, different menu layouts, more options etc.

Some simple examples. Firstly, the YouTube app. On the iPad, the categories are on the left of the screen, and there's a search bar at the top. On the iPhone you have to go into menus to see these options. Also, my kids play an educational game where there are jigsaw puzzles to complete. On the iPad there are 12 pieces to the puzzle, on the iPod/iPhone version there are only 6.

Even using the settings menu is easier. On the iPad, tapping a category on the left of the screen, opens all of the options on the right. But on the iPhone/iPod when you go into a category you get all the options, but the categories are then hidden. It makes it harder to find things sometimes.

Overall, I find the iPad a sleeker, easier experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The iPad Mini is then basically a smaller iPad 2 with added Siri, also released Nov 2012

You are correct. I think The_One must be hung over.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that the iPad 3 already had a retina display. The four was just a tweaked version of the 3 as I understand it, bringing its processing power up to the required level for the high resolution.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Except that the iPad 3 already had a retina display. The four was just a tweaked version of the 3 as I understand it, bringing its processing power up to the required level for the high resolution.

Correct - loads of info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#Model_comparison
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oops, I see that "iPad with Retina Display" was how the 4 was marketed. I'll shut up now. Move along, nothing to see here.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Oops, I see that "iPad with Retina Display" was how the 4 was marketed. I'll shut up now. Move along, nothing to see here.

You were right though iPad 3 & 4 had the same screen - the latest iPad just has a better processor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You were right though iPad 3 & 4 had the same screen - the latest iPad just has a better processor

... And the Lighning connector, and front facing camera.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/ipad-3-vs-ipad-4-the-key-differences-1106685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My ipad is the ipad 3, aka "New iPad", i am exactly correct in what ive said...

I didnt know they re-released the iPad 3 (with retina display) when they released the iPad Mini.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ipad is the ipad 3, aka "New iPad", i am exactly correct in what ive said...

I didnt know they re-released the iPad 3 (with retina display) when they released the iPad Mini.

Oh yeah, I realise that. I have the same one. I was just making the point that there's some confusion re: what an "iPad 4" is.

Apple's marketing doesn't help matters.

They didn't re-release the iPad 3. The 4th generation iPad (called "iPad with Retina Display" for added confusion) had the same screen as the iPad 3 but with double the processing power, new thunderbolt port, etc.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad naming system is a total dog's breakfast IMHO. Consumers are in some cases buying 'the new iPad' thinking it's the latest model.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. Apple really messed up with it.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Apple market the iPad and iPhone as diverged devices.

Its why I bought a Tab 2 7 3G.
    At the moment Google and Samsung do not try to make Android into a diverged platform.

And obviously when using the same chips its probably simpler to just leave the phone system working.

What do you even mean by any of that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    What do you even mean by any of that?

He means you can use Android tablets like a big phone, but with the iPad you can't.