how many times a day should a dog be walked?

2»

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to walk the dog we had years ago about 3 times a day. Unfortunately, some people tend to think dogs are absolutely fine being stuck in the house for goodness knows how long. If someone needs to get out of the house, then how do they think the dog feels? Anyway, I used to love taking the dog we had for walks in the field. If people see taking their dogs for walks as a chore, then they really shouldn't have them to be honest. Have fun with your dog, make it run for exercise, show it you love it by hugging it. Bit of a rant about something I've saw in the past.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would take the dog out more often if he didn't insist on continually barking at other dogs and shopping trolleys.

He has the freedom of the garden for as long as he wants.
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our 'Collsation' Tess has 40 mins morning & evening, and 1 hour playing ball in the afternoon every day, she also has as much access to outside as she wants, but to be honest if we had the time she'd probably walk 3 hours at a time no problem. She's constantly active.

Our dog before her was a lurcher/ greyhound cross and managed 15 mins morning & evening,(only if it wasn't raining or snowing) and 12 hours sleep between, she lived till 15.

Each one's different.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog often walks himself. We live in the country side with lots of open space and we have a substantial piece of land.

Same with us. I'll take them out and throw a ball for half an hour first thing and then at tea time (they're usually buggered after that anyway) but the rest of the day they're left to their own devices, mainly chasing birds, digging things up when no one's looking, and barking at the few people who come past. Bloody nuisances.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dober-buddy gets between a half hour to 3 hour walk just about every day depending on the weather. Dobes don't like extreme cold(and neither do singy thingys!), but if its reasonably nice weather we will half walk/half run between 5 and 12 miles.
    Sometimes on really lovely days, I will spend the whole day wandering trails with my puppy, with occasional rests and stops for him to have a short swim in the river.
    It's true that each one is different. As long as your dog is happy and healthy, you are likely doing fine.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our staffie can only go out on a lead for 15 mins a day at the moment as she's recovering for a knee operation and she's really depressed about it - we have to take our scottie out on his own and she sulks when she get left behind
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an 3yo Alsation. He goes out about 4 times a day for 1/2 hour each. Our vet recommended 3, 1/2hr walks per day.

I walk down to the village and back 3 times a week 2 1/2-3 miles. He's knackered when he gets back.

A dog will take as much as he wants or as little as he's used to.

So long as he is happy and gets to do his toilet when he needs to don't worry.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kit123 wrote: »
    i have a 5 year old jack russell and i walk her once a day for half an hour, today i mentioned it to someone at college and they said it was cruel and not enogh exercise! how many times a day do you walk your dogs?

1/2 an hours not bad for a small dog. I think thats a good minimum but the important thing for me is that a dog gets taken for a walk every day.

My terrier gets down in the dumps if she doesnt get out and about every day.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a chocolate Lab and a long haired Shepherd. They get an hours walk in the morning in the local park and 11/2- 2 hrs walk in the woods in the afternoon, anything less than that is not enough for a large breed dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    Unofrtunately leg size hadsnothing to do with how much a dog needs to be walked, a dog like a jack russell should at least be having 2 x 30 min walks and some off lead time, terriers need the exercise and stimulation to keep them occupied they were not bred to be lazy.

i totally agree with you mine would probably have depression if he only got walked for half an hour a day and hes three he needs the walking aswell as the play with the ball he has so much energy:)
  • bumsexbumsex Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to re-read the title of this thread.....I thought it said "How many times a day should a dog be wanked?" I seriously need help....
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a springer and a vizsla. I get up at 5:30am every morning to take them on a walk before work. We normally go for about 90 mins, and there is no lead work involved. Just full on romping and running along the sea wall / fields.

Luckily we have a large garden, and so they go out there and run and play during the day.
  • AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a Patterdale terrier (similar size and temperament to JR) she gets walked 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening. She also has free run of the garden all day.

I'm sure if she didn't get enough exercise she would be quite destructive around the house
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walk my dog 4 times a day. 3 short walks for about 10-15 minutes and a 30 minute walk round the river after my lunchtime shift.
    He's still a puppy though, so will be getting longer walks when he's fully grown.

I suppose it all depends on the breed. Barney's a collie/springer cross, so has endless energy and would happily walk forever.
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    I have to wonder how many of you have jobs, all the walking you do - 3 hours a day? :eek:
    During the week mine get 15 minutes in the morning, let out twice during the day, and another 15-20 minutes in the evening. That's more than enough, they're fine.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got a border collie aged 14 and a rottweiler aged 3 (both boys). They get 45 mins to an hour walk a day, and my rottweiler spends all day in the garden too (mainly chasing rabbits and watching aeroplanes!).
    My collie prefers to spend his days on the sofa, and would be more than happy to only go out for the toilet most days. He has also become a lot more lazy since he was castrated in January (prompted by hormone related cancer).
    They are not lead-walked so my rottweiler can run around as much as he likes (walked on fields), and I usually spend another 30 minutes playing with him in the evening (ball fetching, tug-of-war, races, wrestling). My collie refuses to fetch or play ball (far too haughty for things like that) but doesn't mind a bit of wresting or tug-of-war, although he has slowed down a bit with age (still scares the crap out of my rottweiler though!).
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    FearFactor wrote: »
    I have got a border collie aged 14 and a rottweiler aged 3 (both boys). They get 45 mins to an hour walk a day, and my rottweiler spends all day in the garden too (mainly chasing rabbits and watching aeroplanes!).
    My collie prefers to spend his days on the sofa, and would be more than happy to only go out for the toilet most days. He has also become a lot more lazy since he was castrated in January (prompted by hormone related cancer).
    They are not lead-walked so my rottweiler can run around as much as he likes (walked on fields), and I usually spend another 30 minutes playing with him in the evening (ball fetching, tug-of-war, races, wrestling). My collie refuses to fetch or play ball (far too haughty for things like that) but doesn't mind a bit of wresting or tug-of-war, although he has slowed down a bit with age (still scares the crap out of my rottweiler though!).

your collie sounds like my jack russell, i'll throw something and the younger dog will go nuts, but the jack will just stand there and look as if to say 'yeah as IF'
  • Happy SnapperHappy Snapper Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on the life style.
    if its shut away all day then probably needs a few walks.
    but ours are wandering round all the time.

how much exersise do people need!!
    it really depends on the dog.
    if its hyper it needs more walks!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The average dog needs a fair bit of exercise, there's no getting away from that fact & by owning a dog you need to find the time to make sure they get that.
    I read somewhere once that on a typical day a dog should get a 45-minute walk in the morning and the same at night, but who knows really!
    As people have stated as long as the dog is getting a fair bit of exercise, time to do its toilet and seems happy, healthy and contented then there is nothing to worry about. There's far much more cruelty to be concerned about and you obviously aren't one of those people!
    I have a 4-year-old Jack Russell myself and I know how hyperactive they are! We are forever out! & Yes the more you take them and the more you get into a routine then the more they desire.
    I would say that if you really can't push that half an hour a day to any more then make that half an hour as energetic and as fun as possible!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1/2 an hour a day for a small breed such as a Jack Russell is ample. Factor in the 'play time' in the house and i'm sure your dog is getting more than enough exercise.

I have a labrador and walk him 1/2 hour in the morning and 40 mins on an evening. Also play in the garden with him on an evening (weather permitting) or a play with toys/play fight with me indoors.
  • lil_miss_blondelil_miss_blonde Posts: 9,090
    Forum Member
    I have a golden retriever and she always gets atleast 3 hours worth of walking/running a day. Most of the time she gets more, my mum works from home and i only work part time so weve got plently of time. On a average day she has 30mins in the morning (on the school run), anything between 2-3 hours in the afternoon, 30 mins school run again, somedays i take her up the horses so thats a hour or so running around the paddocks and between 30mins to an hour in the evenings (now the evenings are lighter she sometimes gets longer). So basically shes out more than she's in lol, this is what shes always had and shes always rearing to go the minute 'walkies' is mentioned.

I think i remember reading that 45mins to an hour a day is efficent for smaller dogs and a hour - 2 hours is good for larger breeds.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something to bear in mind is that some breeds will walk until it literally kills them. When it's hot in summer I try and give mine the 'strenous' walks very early in the morning and in the evening, or if that's not possible a few shorter strolls during the day. Because if it was up to them they'd keep going until they drop!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something to bear in mind is that some breeds will walk until it literally kills them. When it's hot in summer I try and give mine the 'strenous' walks very early in the morning and in the evening, or if that's not possible a few shorter strolls during the day. Because if it was up to them they'd keep going until they drop!

I agree with that. Ill never forget taking my dog for a walk a few summers ago now. I was on holiday, and it was HOT. I took a bottle of water with me to give the dog, but by the time we got about 10 mins from home, he had sweat pouring from him - but he continued running. I decided then that walking a dog in the searing heat is horrid for both of us.

Thats why i take them at 5:30am. Its still hot in the height of the summer .... but bareable for dog and owner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Our border collie goes for a spin first thing in the morning for about 30-60mins depending on weather/if the field is like a swamp. She loves to play ,& find pop bottles , traffic cones , loves finding golf balls (accumilated around 250 of them so far) , doesnt bother with other dogs unless they come over & given that our sheepy is of working stock , they get short shift, she doesnt suffer fools gladly!

Amazing the way she treats all the male dogs like sheep , just there for her to boss about. She loves rounding pop bottles , traffic cones & golf balls up. & then trying to carry as many as she can. Same with toys , one toy or ball is not enough. Those chuckers that launch a ball for miles , she dosent bother with , she waits while you launch the actual plastic holder bit as well!

She goes out for another play at lunchtime when my dad comes home from work & the he takes her down the backs at 6pm & then for another tootle at 22.15 before he goes to bed. One of the great things about a border collie , they never let you descend into boredom , constantly wanting attention & they love going out , come rain or shine & ours loves the cold times. When she comes over to my house , she spends nearly all the time on the beach. Just loves playing. & given that she's 10 years old shes no signs of slowing down.