Criminal Minds Season 8 US Pace No Spoiler

StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, believe it or not, first time creating a thread in a TV Forum. think I have covered the rules.....US pace so if aired in the US fair game, otherwise spoiler.

So, the season 8 opener after a disappointing season 7, after a mixed season 6.

I want to say back to form, I really do. If Season 7 hadn't happened I really would say it. But I don't want to jinx things:p

So, a decent story. An efficient and effective introduction to the new character, whom I like. Not sure about her history with Strauss, but happy to let that play out (or be ignored furthermore)

LOVED Garcia's English Accent - very Dick van Dyke and she knew it:D Shemar looking hotter than ever!!!! Gibson looking healthy which is nice.

And the creepy photos at the end!!!!:eek:

Downside, as always with CM some of the 'profiling' is no better than psychics (as has been proven scientifically) and the whole language dynamic didn't ring true - but I was more than willing to ignore as it was better than anything season 7 spewed out.

Cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season......

Comments

• plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really impressed with Elle 3.0 but other than that I enjoyed the episode.

Unsure why someone who is targetting the team (the photographer) would be including her unless she is the primary target so I fear it has to be something to do with her back story.

I'll be a bit disappouinted if it turns out to be another Ian Doyle to be honest.
  • becsiebecsie Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think like all new characters we will get used to her.She needs to find her place in the team. at the moment i feel she has the same skills as Reid.They can work together easy but I hope she doesn't overshadow his knowledge.

Loved the London talk and Reid is as sweet as ever. Loved when he grabbed morgans hand to shake it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping Alex is like Prentiss and Rossi when they first joined - there's a couple of episodes where their new skillset is shown and then it settles so they are all working as a team again. Rossi is a better example of this than Prentiss, I remember when Rossi first joined I thought they were bringing him in as a new Gideon, where his experience meant he solved every case - sort of like a Grissom for those who watch CSI: Vegas. Those kind of characters annoy me, and I really disliked Rossi when he first joined, but I'm hoping that soon Alex will merge with the team. (hope that makes sense ha.)

And for the comment about the photographer, I have read a couple of things online about it - only rumours to my knowledge but I will spoiler them in case.
    Apparantly there is someone after the team for the series, and they show this through copying famous signatures of killers they have caught previously. I assumed the photographs were just to show that the someone was watching the team.

I love CM and can't wait for the rest of the series!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I hate episodes where the unsub is revealed 10 minutes in but occasionally it works. And it did work this week. Some of the acting was on the dodgy side but overall it was a good episode, Reid being Reid being better than a sat nav:D Rossi being laid back. Garcia being efficient & quirky. Shemar being hot. And Blake slotting in nicely without too much fuss.

I do hope that we aren't going back to Season 7 and revealing the unsub early every epsode but as a one off done well, I don't mind:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Has season 8 started in the UK, or are you watching on download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Watching at US pace.:)
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member

Looks like Sky Living are delaying it this year as last year ran close to US pace. This time they seem to be focusing on new how's like Elementary and Chicago Fire, whilst Bones and Criminal Minds are delayed.
  • susan24susan24 Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Looks like Sky Living are delaying it this year as last year ran close to US pace. This time they seem to be focusing on new how's like Elementary and Chicago Fire, whilst Bones and Criminal Minds are delayed.

Well, that is fine by me. I became totally frustrated with all the on/off scheduling last year. I'd far rather we started later and went straight through with the series.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this series so far. Both episodes, have had great writing, especially the unsubs so far. Dunno bout the new girl yet. Can't even remember her name. But I guess we've only had 2 episodes, and we had Emily for what nearly 6 series. It's gonna take a while to get used to. Even Emily took a while to get used to!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And another good episode!!

Loved the little boy - unusual for me - but any 11 year old that can pick a lock & scarper works :D

The mum of the family deserved everything:( Would have been happy if they hadn't been blanks in the gun.

Unsub was a bit comedy bad guy but he was quite periferal this week.

Shame Beth is leaving (actress has a job else where) but it lead to some nice Hotch scenes.

CM has almost made up for S7 - another week or two of this standard and I'll be able to watch without a feeling of trepidation before each episode :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another really good episode. Unsub playing proper games, was kinda creepy a bit. Just great writing so far this series, lets hope it stays.

Loved Penelope's bit at the end, and Im getting used to new girl. Alex I think???? And yeah shame about Beth. Would've loved to see a lot more of her, its nice to see all their normal lives, we dont see them enough. And the Beth storyline was nice extra
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And just to balance out the last three good episode, Episode 4 is is a big pile of poop of an episode, complete with the insultingly poor science, stupidly poor psychology and ridiculously poor profiling of the worst of season 7. Kind of spoils a show about science, psychology and - oh yeah, profiling.

Another unsub centric episode - well, not 'un' sub as we know who it is. I think this is to keep costs down - there was hardly any Hotch & little JJ & Rossi. I'm guessing part of the cast's contract negotiations was a cut in workload rather than a huge increase in pay so I have very little hope that the rest of the series is going to be consistently of the quality of the first three episodes and will soon descend into the generally poorly cast & badly written mess of season 7.

On the plus side, Reid's headache's are cured thanks to a woman he has never met but loves him and has a mystery other 'him' who can never find out about them. Not suspicious at all :D Can't see this ending in tears, no not at all :D

Sadly that led to Morgan being a tit again - I thought he'd matured passed teasing Reid. He still looked good being a tit though.
  • becsiebecsie Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved it was a Reid episode (in a way). The mystery women is very mysterious... lots of different theories.Is she married?Is she real? etc.... I noticed she was playing with her pen exactly the way Reid was in an earlier scene. I agree it doesn't sound like it will end well.
    I did like we had some morgan/reid scenes and morgan was concerned about his migranes. I think the scene on the plane was supposed to be brotherly teasing but it is a shame he can't confide in JJ or morgan about her. Glad Alex is proving to be nice.

The unsub coud've been better...i wasn't really into the storyline and Ray wise was underused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pretty great episode. No where near as good as the first 3 episodes. But I saw it mainly as an episode to introduce this new girl. It wasnt that big about the case, although it was kinda creepy. Them opening scene's were really good.

Im actually realy liking Alex now. And the Morgan/Reid scene's were nice.

I have a few ideas about this girl. It seems like this would be a main focus of the series, leading with a final episode with something to do with her. But then there was the first episode with the person with all the pictures of each of the BAU people. But maybe they are connected. And somehow connected to Alex, cause its her first series, and in this episode, with her line about her being a doctor.

I dunno. But its mysterious, and I like it :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    First time posting here - love love love love love CM - did I mention I love it! It has been a bit of a bumpy few years but still the best show on in my humble opinion at least :) Love Hotch, and have really liked the introduction of Beth. According to CM writers etc, we have not seen the last of Beth, the actress has a big role in Scandal but will have a few more episodes of CM (sorry if this is spoilerish) If you like her in CM, watch Scandal, she plays First Lady Mellie and is fantastic. But if Beth is not available, I would be happy to step in!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot better than last week - perhaps down to 24's Chloe. But still not great. The viewer is always one step ahead of the BAU - it is a woman, she ate the placenta, she is using the men for fertiliser - I'm not sure it is obvious telegraphing or if the writing is weak. The script wasn't exactly Shakespeare either.

Then there is the huge dichotomy of someone so into natural remedies that she is willing to kill for them yet is a medical 'frequent flyer'. that kind of jars and ruins the overall effect.

And I still don't like the shift to viewing events from the killer's POV. This isn't why I watched CM in the first place - I liked having an 'unknown subject', lots of team interaction, profiling and then the big reveal. This season we have had 3 out of 5 episodes where we know the killer within the first 15 minutes rather than a rare switch up.

As I said before, pretty sure this is a cost cutting exercise - use cheaper guest actors rather than the expensive main stars. My original idea during season 7 was they were using up plots from the defunct spin off but they must have run out of them now!

But basically, CM isn't the format I originally liked, there isn't enough of the main stars, not enough team interaction and a fair dash of sloppy writing. It has become a whole different show. And one that is much, much poorer.

Oh, and the bit with Henry at the end? Makes me wish we had a vomit smilie on DS :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another amazing episode. Something about this series, I am really loving. It could become my favourite series so far. Anne Dudek's Emma was amazing. It was really creepy, but you cant help but feel empathy towards her, and especially her daughter. I'm not sure if I like knowing the unsub straight away, but so far they have worked really well. Also liking that we already have had 2 episodes with female unsubs. I like it when its female, as there always much different to the male ones.

The end with Henry was cute. Haha!!
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    A lot better than last week - perhaps down to 24's Chloe.

Mary Lynn Rajskub? I never noticed her in the episode, who did she play?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Mary Lynn Rajskub? I never noticed her in the episode, who did she play?

As Dylan has already pointed out it was actually Anne Dudek.

Its been a while since I've seen either actress in anything & I have always mixed them up for some reason. Sorry.

Still, she was about the best thing about the episode and my mistake doesn't negate anything else I wrote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode. Yes it was another unsub heavy episode, but Im liking them. I love it when they're team unsubs, something about the dynamics, I like. It was great, but not one of the better episodes of the series.

But the ending on the plane. That was a shock. And it explains that end scene in the first episode!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said before that I'm not a fan of the 'Known Subject' style CM tends to do now, so when we meet the 'badguy' in the first 30 seconds I had a feeling of dread rather than anticipation.

But I persevered. And it was one of the better 'known-sub' episodes.

There were some very nice touches - Reid reaching out to the boy after Morgan being utterly cringy with his '5-0' spiel.

Can't fault the supporting cast - very well acted. Matthew Lillard is always a pleasure.

The end game with the killers was well done - liked the change in dynamic.

But....

A lot of it was predictable and a lot of ideas are getting recycled - a common problem with long running procedurals. CM does better than most but it is an issue.

And the softball game - defined the word cliché:rolleyes: An utterly predictable, pointless cringefest. The photographer was important, but they could have come up with something better to gather the team together.

Grrr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took me a couple of attempts to watch CM this week as the worlds worst rendition of 'keep holding on' and cheese fest opening made me want to kill my computer. And Avril Lavigne. When she got stabbed I laughed until nearly choking on a kitkat.:D:o

Add to the comedy death, the comedy publisher and the mood was perhaps not set.

Then there was the cheesy vietnam flashback........

More seriously, I did find the reasons given for the killer to go loco pretty unconvincing.

Which is all a shame as it was a pretty good episode. Some tension & suspense, incidental characters that felt fully fleshed, better script.

And then as it is going well.....the cheesy Hernades throwing himself on the mine comedy ending:D

To rub salt into the still stinging 'Keep Holding On' wound - one of my favourite versions is New Directions/Glee. The organisation Rossi sends him 'Nam mate to is called New Directions.:rolleyes:

If they had left out all the 'Vietnam was bad M'Kay' stuff - and dodgy Avril Lavigne covers - it would actually have been a 'very good' from me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weeks episode was amazing. Like amazing. Seriously like something about it, it was just kinda creepy and just all round brilliant. Although the teens were annoying (I guess you would be if you thought you were gonna die soon)!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weeks episode was amazing. Like amazing. Seriously like something about it, it was just kinda creepy and just all round brilliant. Although the teens were annoying (I guess you would be if you thought you were gonna die soon)!!!

I think we'll have to agree to differ there......

It was just a bit silly. And sloppy I guess everyone has done the 'hijacked bus' before so they had to do it with a twist. Shame the twist was ridiculous. A suspension of disbelief too far.

The logistics of getting all that computer kit into the factory and the power usage would have been something Garcia could have tracked instead of what amounted to 'magic' - eye roll moment there.

And after having some of the children returned they would never have just taken them to the whole group of parents without segregating and informing those with missing children that their children were still missing - but wasn't it nice and heart-rending when little Tommy's Mummy came up asking where her son was:rolleyes:

But, it wasn't awful and the bits with Garcia were nice.

And bonus points for any procedural that dares call an episode 'The Wheels on the Bus':D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another flawed episode - some of the profiling was pants beyond belief - BUT I did enjoy it a lot more than last week.

It started off OK then 15 minutes while we don't know who the unsub is, then we find out it is Raphael Sbarge. I've never rated him. Tend to sigh and think 'not him again' when he pops up as a guest star (as he does in practically everything eventually) BUT I did enjoy the other guest star playing the motivational speaker. I can see why he was cast - when he turned on the charm, he was quite charismatic.

My biggest problem is that no-one on the team mentioned that motivational speakers are the snake oil salesmen of hte 21st century. The make money by exploiting the vulnerable and needy - those disatisfied with their lives and without the where-with-all to fix it. And it doesn't work - indeed there is research that shows self help books can leave the reader feeling worse about themselves as their lives don't improve and they blame themseves as the books/speakers say THEY can change their lives. So, my first guess would have been a disgruntled customer - not a fan!! Lazy writing, zero research. As it pretty much the norm on CM these days.

The Morgan stuff was pointless apart from as a means to show off the series arc un-sub. And to make Morgan look like a whiny wuss. Again.