What an epic week for music

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
David Bowie, Destiny's Child and Justin Timberlake all releasing or announcing releases of new music. I'm so excited about having some quality pop music back in the charts. Anyone else feel the same way? :)

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, no and no.

David Bowie :cool:

Destiny's Child :yawn:

Justin Timberlake :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, no and no.

Correct.

Justin Timberlake is just a gimmick who came out of another pointless boyband.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, no and no.

Correct.

Justin Timberlake is just a gimmick who came out of another pointless boyband.

Can I just ask: are you two a fan of modern pop music?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Destiny's Child aren't releasing new music are they, just another greatest hits????

i think there are other better acts i would like to see return then Borelord Bowie if i'm completely honest...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destiny's Child aren't releasing new music are they, just another greatest hits????

i think there are other better acts i would like to see return then Borelord Bowie if i'm completely honest...

Your first point is true, which is a shame. I wish they'd done it properly as they really are due a proper comeback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Can I just ask: are you two a fan of modern pop music?

Not necessarily. I can recognise a good song... but i'm under no allusion that the quality of it is down to the actual artist themselves. They're just an image/face of it.

Modern pop and the media seem to live in their own little bubble where they talk up the talents of the Chris Browns and Justin Timberlake's. The reality is that they're not anything special. Not only can they never seem to able to write or compose a song on their own, but they can't seem to play them either. And no amount of dancing to a CD player is going to impress me nor will they ever be taken seriously.

Big fish in a small pond and all that.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Bowie, Destiny's Child and Justin Timberlake all releasing or announcing releases of new music. I'm so excited about having some quality pop music back in the charts. Anyone else feel the same way? :)

I don't mind Destiny's Child - they have some good, catchy pop songs. Timberlake I'm not fussed on. But there's no way either of them are even in the same league as David Bowie in terms of artistry and influence.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why DC are bothering tbh, isn't Beyonce prepping for another solo album?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily. I can recognise a good song... but i'm under no allusion that the quality of it is down to the actual artist themselves. They're just an image/face of it.

Modern pop and the media seem to live in their own little bubble where they talk up the talents of the Chris Browns and Justin Timberlake's. The reality is that they're not anything special. Not only can they never seem to able to write or compose a song on their own, but they can't seem to play them either. And no amount of dancing to a CD player is going to impress me nor will they ever be taken seriously.

Big fish in a small pond and all that.

So if I understand your post correctly, in order for you to truly enjoy a song, it needs to be written and composed by the artist singing it? Otherwise it's not worth bothering about? Is that about right?

It must be exhausting having that sort of approach to music! Personally, I couldn't care less whether Justin wrote Cry Me A River: it is still one of the greatest pop songs of that decade, and a lot of his other stuff isn't too shabby either.
    FMKK wrote: »
    I don't mind Destiny's Child - they have some good, catchy pop songs. Timberlake I'm not fussed on. But there's no way either of them are even in the same league as David Bowie in terms of artistry and influence.

I didn't say they were. Bowie practically wrote the book for modern day popstars. But DC and JT have made some absolutely amazing pop records in their own right and it's understandable that a lot of people are excited about them returning. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who said they were?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too fussed about the DC compilation....not too fussed about them overall tbh...i like a few of their hits but still...Justin i kinda take or leave...it depends on the material...wasnt too keen on his Justified album nor his group at all NSYNC but i liked Futuresex/Love Sounds very much...so it depends,.

Bowie however is one of my all time favourite artists after Madonna and alongside Kate Bush...ah man! So excited to hear the new material...the single doesnt excite me too much but the point is reflective/brooding in nature so will definitely see....also must say the front cover is one of the laziest things i have ever seen but hey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I feel like Christina should have waited till February to release Lotus... it seems like the landscape is starting to change
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    Who said they were?

Linking them together under the banner "some quality pop music" implies that there is some sort of parity between them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linking them together under the banner "some quality pop music" implies that there is some sort of parity between them.

There is parity in terms of them all being capable of producing great, quality pop music. Music can and does move on. Bowie is great, JT and DC are great in different ways.

At the end of the day, it's just music - no need to categorise and rank everything according to artistry and influence! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the op wasn`t comparing them against each other though as artists, or musical credibilty!
    tbh they have all done "some quality pop music"
    Bowie & the rest are of two very different generations all of them great imo at what they do
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    the op wasn`t comparing them against each other though as artists, or musical credibilty!
    tbh they have all done "some quality pop music"
    Bowie & the rest are of two very different generations all of them great imo at what they do

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. :)
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropped my phone when I read DC were releasing a new single.

Praying they do what seems inevitable now, and reform at the Superbowl.

Would be an amazing moment for the fans, but also basically confirm what we all know, that the girls genuinely are great friends and super close, for Beyonce to share one of the biggest stages of them all with them, when she really doesn't have to. For me this is bigger than any Spice Girl reunion, DC are one of my favourites.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie's return is a big deal.
    Timberlake was good in Social Network. That's it.
    Destinys Child? **** off. They make Eternal look like the bloody Supremes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    And Britneys back on top come Sunday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Bowie's return is a big deal.
    Timberlake was good in Social Network. That's it.
    Destinys Child? **** off. They make Eternal look like the bloody Supremes.

i actually believe he`s gonna have a big comeback he`s been lucky that not everyone forgot / gave up on him considering the length of time between his last record and this and those who did kinda move on will prob pay him attention again
  • Chris_ChampionChris_Champion Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Bowie yes, not the other two..but then i was into Bowie with Ziggy Stardust so doubt if his latest stuff will match or sound like that
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Yay for Justin and Destinys Child , meh at Bowie
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

You're not seriously equating Destiny's Child & Timberlake to Bowie, are you? :eek:
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only David Bowie out of those artists matters IMO, even if he is past his prime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Justin Timberlake coming back - I loved his last album.

It's great David Bowie is back and I hope it is a great year for him.

It's disappointing Destiny's Child new cd is only a compilation of ballads .. it could however spurt a new release with new songs...

I'm also looking forward to see what new music comes out this year..!:)