Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting

eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not the artistic type myself, but I love this programme.

I never follow Bob, but I do enjoy watching him, his painting style and his tone of voice, plus his friendly manner seems so relaxing and really captures you.

It is very sad that he did of cancer back in 1995.

Any other fans?

Comments

• MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to always watch Bob Ross around the mid 90s and for some reason, I loved the way he painted trees and clouds! :D

I also used to love Watercolour Challenge and wish it was still on TV!
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Used to be on Dutch TV.

Loved it. He was very Zen and hip about the way he just let the paintings appear.

His style and manner of teaching was open and fresh.with an emphasisi on just see how it goes.

Hugely inspiring for simplicity and magnificent layering and structure and yes the tree technique.

Sad to hear he died but sure he appears to make the landscapes I keep seeing .

Thanks Bob for making me see life from a different perspective.:cool:
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I don't paint, and I can't afford Sky these days, but The Joy of Painting was one of my favourite shows, every episode was better than therapy ;)

Absolutely lovely guy. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the nicest person on T.V. I too was sad when I heard he'd passed away. If only there were more people like Bob, the World would be a much gentler place.

*Apparently, when he was younger, he was a U.S. marine, and a real,mean "S.O.B.!"

He seemed to have had some kind of rebirth in later life as a "gentle soul!"-makes me appreciate him even more!
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,287
    Forum Member
    Watching this just now, absolutley amazing. Its on Discovery Shed, the man is a God!

I dont even paint either or know anything about painting at all but his show is just fantastic.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to come on about 6 in the morning when I had kids fighting about, as soon as it came on they shut up arguing and sat mesmerised for the whole programme, there was no sound out of them .... I started recording it to shut them up at other times, it was so soothing.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    It's like The Joy of Sex but with different bristles and not quite as much mess.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the episode where he brought an owl on the show!
    Forum Member
    Again, just like The Joy of Sex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he was a nice enough bloke.

But his paintings looked like something you would find in a pound shop.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have painted som bob Ross paintings

You can see them here don't worry it's not an advert

http://smoorbs.deviantart.com/art/Bob-Ross-357888747
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also he had a pet squirrel
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    he was a nice enough bloke.

But his paintings looked like something you would find in a pound shop.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I really hate his trees.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, always enjoyed it and thought that his painting verged on genius at times.
    Forum Member
    Also he had a pet squirrel

And a beaver.
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him but his paintings depressed me. :o
  • firegoddess666firegoddess666 Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I loved watching it and thought his paintings were actually quite good.
    I loved when he would paint a tree then paint the tree a "friend" haha
    Forum Member
    He was in good in The Hair Bear Bunch. The title was wrong for the other programme. It was never really the 'joy' of painting, more like the 'mild pleasure' of painting.
  • ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Happy little trees.
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. watching his show was very therapeutic. :)
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always the exact same show*, but always, by some cosmic happy accident, utterly wonderful.

Patton Oswalt has a great routine about Bob Ross and/vs WIlliam Alexander

*Russell Brand did the same thing when he used to host his BBBM : always the exact same show but always utterly wonderful (the two shows, BRTJOP and BBBM, of course quite different from each other)

Let me just put a tree there... 'citin!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I tell you what.....let's just put a little 'ol tree here...........loved it!!!
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    777Eilidh wrote: »
    I liked him but his paintings depressed me. :o
    His paintings are terrible. It's not art it's just facile technique - the end result isn't much better than painting by numbers.
    He's not a real artist.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called The Joy of Painting. If it gives enjoyment, pleasure or therapy then who cares whether it's real art or not.

Does it claim to be? I think the whole idea is that anyone can do it if they follow the technique. Some will have more flair than others as in any other creativity. Not everyone can be a great artist but everyone can enjoy painting. I saw a demonstration of this technique at a recent U3A monthly meeting and without exception everyone was stunned by it, though many doubted that they could do it. There was a landscape type of painting as seen on the shows and also a new technique floral 'portrait' sized painting. A workshop was set up for those who did want to do it and I am going along next month. The results the demonstration achieved were fantastic and not a bit charity shop.

Knitting and sewing is creativity by numbers to some extent, but you can create your own designs and patterns, choose colour schemes, add or subtract elements, cobble together or sew a fine seam.

There is a place for everything even painting by numbers if for example it helps patient recovery.

The man who demonstrated it had been a ski instructor but a bad accident put paid to that so his wife got him interested in this and he went from strength to strenth with it.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is "real art"? ArtyMags, you got a line on that for us?