BBC HD to close, replaced with BBC Two HD

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Confirmed in the BBC's Delivering Quality First drive this morning and in the Guardian article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/06/bbc-cuts-2000-jobs

EDIT: Confirmed on BBC Ariel site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/15198145

Consequences for Freeview HD and the other BBC Channels which could effectively lose HD output on Freeview HD? Bit of a shame for BBC Three and Four HD output unless they're repeated on the main two channels.

Comments

• mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A huge mistake by the BBC. I don't think they should have launched BBC One HD either. It should have been a second HD channel that showed HD content from all the BBC channels.
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I personally don't have a problem with BBC HD 'becoming' BBC Two HD.

In fact, I welcome it.

I can, however, see that other viewers will not see it as a good move.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Wendolene wrote: »
    I personally don't have a problem with BBC HD 'becoming' BBC Two HD.

In fact, I welcome it.

I can, however, see that other viewers will not see it as a good move.

It's an obvious move, and the way forward - HD is gradually replacing SD - so BBC1 and BBC2 BOTH need to have HD versions.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the rest of that linked report is more of an issue - more repeats, shows being axed, BBC3+4 will be more closely linked wth BBC1+2 (i read this as meaning more repeats).
  • AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it likely that there will be a reshuffle of the LCNs for the HD channels, ie scrap 50 and put BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4 on their respective 5X slot?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This HD closure is worse for Freeview than satellite because there is no more Freeview HD capacity. BBC THREE / CBBC HD & BBC FOUR CBeebies HD could launch on satellite but never on Freeview.

I can imagine having to watch BBC TWO HD in the afternoon to see BBC FOUR HD programmes (and all the rest).
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC HD channel will close - BBC Two will be solely HD.
    Does that mean BBC Two SD will close?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »

not as part of this cut back, as most people dont yet have HD reception of any kind. In the future on freeview there wll be a point in time ("HD Switchover") where SD will be axed and the space left will be reused for HD stuff.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »

Where is that written, it sounds as if someone has summarised the report incorrectly. I read the original as just that BBC HD will be BBC2 HD.

Incidentally Freeview will have an advantage over FreeSat as BBC1 regional programmes in England will not be on satellite and only on Freeview.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Where is that written, it sounds as if someone has summarised the report incorrectly. I read the original as just that BBC HD will be BBC2 HD.
    The BBC Ariel link on the OP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incidentally Freeview will have an advantage over FreeSat as BBC1 regional programmes in England will not be on satellite and only on Freeview.

you mean shown in HD on BBC1 via Freeview, but shown in SD on BBC1 via satellite.

but as some point all output will be HD, and when this happens it wont make any difference.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dosent mean everthing on BBC2 HD will be in HD, anymore than ITV, Ch4, Ch5 HD is now
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member

Exactly!.

With extra 'UK only' space now available on Astra 1N the BBC could easily add regional HD to satellite, IF they wanted to and if they had the funds (despite it only costing a tiny fraction of what terrestrial HD is costing them).
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont forget that tonight between 1am 4am they go to BBC news, this will be redundant post switch off, so they might as well repeat the HD content from BBC 3 & 4 during then.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Far too sensible a suggestion.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    dont forget that tonight between 1am 4am they go to BBC news, this will be redundant post switch off, so they might as well repeat the HD content from BBC 3 & 4 during then.
    So how would the BBC get away with showing post-watershed HD programming before the watershed?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how would the BBC get away with showing post-watershed HD programming before the watershed?
    1am- 4am isn't pre watershed.:confused:
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    This is very bad news indeed for the workers and for us

I thought they could have kept BBC HD or launched BBCs and 4 HD instead and also make BBCs 1 and 2 HD solely HD and what about the Children's channels and BBC Parliament?

Plus I take it we will be watching more Repeats on all the channels including BBC News 24

Unless there is going to be another "Switchover" were HD channels will replace the SD channels, I do not think we get the BBC1 Regions in HD on Freeview
    and all their other channels in HD too, plus they are closing some Transponders on Astra at the moment so the Satellites will have less space as well
    unless everything is moved onto Astra 1N

What are your thoughts on this announcement?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Astonishment. Or do you mean the BBC's announcement rather than yours?
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Dosent mean everthing on BBC2 HD will be in HD, anymore than ITV, Ch4, Ch5 HD is now

That is totally incorrect for two reasons, everything on BBC2 HD will be in HD

Reason 1

The BBC has already stated that they are moving slowly to all HD Production from 2012, so after 2012 everything will be in HD on BBC1 and BBC2
    and maybe other channels too, we'll see

Reason 2

It is mentioned in the BBC Arial Article that BBC2 HD will be solely in HD meaning only HD programming will be on their until there is another Switchover,
    whereby everyone will need new TVs or set top boxes to watch in HD or not as the case may be, as I do not think a lot of people can afford new TVs,
    just to watch things in HD unless the Price comes down a lot with high demand - unlikely

In addition, you cannot watch HD programmes in HD from a CRT TV that a lot of people I know still have to this day,
    so they will be needing to upgrade their TVs to watch things properly in HD
    and Scart Leads and Sockets will need to be replaced with the HDMI equivalent
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Astonishment. Or do you mean the BBC's announcement rather than yours?

I do mean the BBC's announcement, of course, not mine
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I am pleased that BBC2 HD is replacing BBC HD. It means I can move it to LCN2 and not have to find out each time if a programme is on BBC HD or not. This will simplify things. And if Channel 5 HD comes to Freeview, it means the big 5 channels will all be in HD which would be good.
    This HD closure is worse for Freeview than satellite because there is no more Freeview HD capacity. BBC THREE / CBBC HD & BBC FOUR CBeebies HD could launch on satellite but never on Freeview.
    Wrong. When another multiplex moves to DVB-T2, or when the SD simulcasts get removed, then more HD channels will come to Freeview.

Reason 1

The BBC has already stated that they are moving slowly to all HD Production from 2012, so after 2012 everything will be in HD on BBC1 and BBC2
    and maybe other channels too, we'll see
    Also wrong. Even if all new programming is in HD from 2012, repeats will still be in SD. So they will be upscaled on BBC2 HD, which is still an improvement over BBC2 SD.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reason 1

The BBC has already stated that they are moving slowly to all HD Production from 2012, so after 2012 everything will be in HD

Reason 2

It is mentioned in the BBC Arial Article that BBC2 HD will be solely in HD meaning only HD programming will be on their until there is another Switchover,
    whereby everyone will need new TVs or set top boxes to watch in HD or not as the case may be, as I do not think a lot of people can afford new TVs,
    just to watch things in HD unless the Price comes down a lot with high demand - unlikely

In addition, you cannot watch HD programmes in HD from a CRT TV that a lot of people I know still have to this day,
    For starters a lot of older programming that is on BBC2 won't be in HD and there are still many programmes that are only being shot in SD. Also what you say about having an older TV doesn't make sense. As long as HD set top boxes continue to have Scart sockets they can continue using their SD TV to watch HD channels. Of course it will be in SD but the picture will often still be better because of the low bitrates used on SD channels.
    It is also worth pointing out that Flat panel TV's don't necessarily equal HD and CRT equal SD. There were plenty of HD CRT TV's produced in the US and Japan. Sure there was only one produced for the UK market which was a Samsung set i believe. Many older Flat panel sets weren't HD capable.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reason 1

The BBC has already stated that they are moving slowly to all HD Production from 2012, so after 2012 everything will be in HD

Reason 2

First, the cost of Freeview HD boxes has come down to the point there is now only £10 difference between the cost of the cheapest Freeview and cheapest Freeview HD boxes.

The best solution would be to stop the auction of one of the new muxes and allocate it to a COM HD mux, returning the existing HD mux to the BBC. That would allow all BBC TV channels to move to it, with News, Parliament and Alba staying in SD.

DVB-T switchoff should start ASAP with a completion target of 2020. The 5 PSB channels and radio should move to a single DVB-T mux for "legacy" equipment.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    not as part of this cut back, as most people dont yet have HD reception of any kind. In the future on freeview there wll be a point in time ("HD Switchover") where SD will be axed and the space left will be reused for HD stuff.
    Except of course there is no plan for any such HD switchover as yet, I don't think that the DCMS or Ofcom have even floated it