E3 2012

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sim City looks cool.

Bit of self-back-patting there with the ex-IW guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has always been Microsoft's plan for the XBox - they aren't interested in pushing a games console as much as they are a set-top box for their services.

Sorry but no. MS went on for ages about how 360 is a console and not a media system. Now they are trying to play catch up and its too late in the consoles life for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but no. MS went on for ages about how 360 is a console and not a media system. Now they are trying to play catch up and its too late in the consoles life for that.

Why did they support music, video and photos, as well as Vista Media Centre out of the box then? Within a year of launch they had their own video service up on Live - they even developed an HD DVD add on. Why do you think they did any of that if not to establish a media hub?

This has always been on Microsoft's cards. They have been talking about this long before the 360. They are only slow to get it started because, well, they're Microsoft. They haven't been on time to a party in a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they support music, video and photos, as well as Vista Media Centre out of the box then? Within a year of launch they had their own video service up on Live - they even developed an HD DVD add on. Why do you think they did any of that if not to establish a media hub?

This has always been on Microsoft's cards. They have been talking about this long before the 360. They are only slow to get it started because, well, they're Microsoft. They haven't been on time to a party in a long time.
    They made the HD DVD because they saw that the reason people were electing for the PS3 as the 'living room' console was because of the draw of not having to shell out for a Blu-Ray player.

Being able to play music and videos is hardly a media centre. Hell, you could do that on the PS2.

Just look at what the XBMC transformed the original Xbox into and then compare to the original 360 dashboard. It didn't compare.

The new dash has allowed for a great range of services, and it is very good and better than the PS3 offering at the moment.

However - they are, as the above poster said, playing catch up.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow they got ufc? lol woow after all the claims they didnt want it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    wow they got ufc? lol woow after all the claims they didnt want it
    Sounds like they got it based upon the presenter's passion.

I really don't get the appeal for stuff like UFC and wrestling, boxing and all that crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come everythings iphone, the majority of people now have android phones so give the bloody apps for android too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ea and ufc who'd have thought
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Being able to play music and videos is hardly a media centre. Hell, you could do that on the PS2.

Being able to play music and movies directly from a device - and stream them from your PC - was a media centre back in 2005.

And you're right about the PS2, which was also a media centre - back in 2000.

There's nothing surprising about Microsoft's actions as of late. They haven't made any meaningful investment in their gaming division for years now. Everything has been going into services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come everythings iphone, the majority of people now have android phones so give the bloody apps for android too.
    They said also coming to Android later.

They start off with iPhone mostly because it is the "easiest" to develop for as it is one device for everyone.

Android on the other hand has hundreds of devices with different specs, so they have to spend more time catering the apps for all those devices.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crysis 3... is my suit going to start talking to me again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    They said also coming to Android later.

They start off with iPhone mostly because it is the "easiest" to develop for as it is one device for everyone.

Android on the other hand has hundreds of devices with different specs, so they have to spend more time catering the apps for all those devices.

Aye the game is coming to android later but no mention of the interactive app :(
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that pc grapchics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to play music and movies directly from a device - and stream them from your PC - was a media centre back in 2005.

And you're right about the PS2, which was also a media centre - back in 2000.

There's nothing surprising about Microsoft's actions as of late. They haven't made any meaningful investment in their gaming division for years now. Everything has been going into services.
    Yes, but things have moved on from that kind of consuming of entertainment, it is now all about on-demand streaming, not plonking in your Britney Spears greatest hits CD or turning your PC on to access a couple of AVIs.

The fact is, PS3 was wayyyyy ahead of 360 on that front, and the new dash for 360 is what made it possible.

I've been impressed with their effort though, and if I was buying a console now, I'd probably choose the 360 over PS3 for that reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that pc grapchics?
    Who knows, but it looks damn good!
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sim City looks beautiful. :D
    Yea! to quote myself from yesterday...
    The_One wrote: »
    Id like to see more info on:
    EA:
    SimCity (5) 2013
    EA has delivered!
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that pc grapchics?
    I think all of EA's stuff was on PC. Medol Of Honor: Warfighter (looks good) was certainly PC and I'm pretty sure Crysis 3 was as well. Probably running on a GTX680/690.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medal of Honour looked good. I quite liked the last one's campaign and the Combat Mission in multiplayer was quite enjoyable if I didn't keep getting sniped every time I spawned.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    I think all of EA's stuff was on PC. Medol Of Honor: Warfighter (looks good) was certainly PC and I'm pretty sure Crysis 3 was as well. Probably running on a GTX680/690.
    I dunno, when i was watching Medal of Honor i thought judging by how slow/drunk the crosshair was acting it showed either the control pad wasnt optimised well for the PC, or they were using a console. That crosshair movement looked so normal for console FPS games.
    Keyboard and mouse is far faster than that, unless, that bloke was a total noob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were using a 360 pad connected to a PC. PC hardware was confirmed by IGN on their E3 channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EA getting the UFC license has surprised me a bit after what Dana White had previously said when he failed to close a deal first time around. But hey the game industry has changed the goal posts many times before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    I dunno, when i was watching Medal of Honor i thought judging by how slow/drunk the crosshair was acting it showed either the control pad wasnt optimised well for the PC, or they were using a console. That crosshair movement looked so normal for console FPS games.
    Keyboard and mouse is far faster than that, unless, that bloke was a total noob.
    That's just that Frostbite engine, for all its wonders and good looks, in my opinion it fails on several gameplay fronts.

I hope EA doesn't shoe-horn it into Respawn's offering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    THQ lost UFC then eh? They must be bricking themselves incase WWE decide to go elsewhere, I think that would be the final nail in their coffin.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Watching Bloomberg West coverage. Interesting,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Usher, now this :D