Downloading v+?

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
is there any way of taking recorded films from the v+ box and storing them somewhere externally at all? I'm moving house soon and can't take the v+ box with me - no virgin service in new area - I've got hours and hours of unwatched recorded films on it though! :p

Comments

• AdamAnalogueAdamAnalogue Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Malaikah - yes there is. I have my V+ box connected to a Sony TV via HDMI (for vision), to a Panasonic amplifier via digital audio link (for audio), and to a Sony DVB receiver/DVD recorder via SCART.

On the Sony DVD recorder I can select "Line 1" Input which gives me the audio and video output from the V+ box. I can then record the output onto the recorder's hard disk, or onto recordable DVD. Of course some programmes/films might be copy protected. I think there might be a "Copy" function on the V+ box too, but I might be getting confused with the Sky+ box I used to use (until the trees grew and blocked my satellite signal!). If there is a Copy function, I think it does the same as the output procedure described above.

Hope this helps.:)
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Samsung SMT-H3110 V+ box and anything ' that was recorded live ' can be recorded by DVD Recorder but it may or may not prevent catch up playback to be recorded or pay per view.

In fact the archiving function is the best thing about the machine so you can be recording two channels playing back a recording { going direct to the DVD Recorder } and also playing back a second recording to the TV set - I believe this function is not available at this present time via TiVo hence why I have kept my Samsung SMT-H3110.

I clear my box every four months or so and format the drive and that keeps the box as good as new.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin have asked for the v+ box and modem to be returned - is this right as I have had them for years on full pay package? I am going to check which model it is. Both your replies are very much appreciated but my tired brain couldn't process them at this time so I hope when I read again they will make sense :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin do own the equipment - it will be within your contract so they can ask for it back.

1. Press V+ Button on the Remote
    2. select V+ Extras and choose Copy TO DVD/VCR
    3. Press V+ Button, Select V+Extras and choose Copy to DVD/VCR
    4: Highlight each program you wish to record and press the OK Button.
    5. Then start the recording on the player manually and make sure that the Recorder is actually connected via Scart to the V+ Video out socket.
  • AdamAnalogueAdamAnalogue Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I clear my box every four months or so and format the drive and that keeps the box as good as new.

I was thinking of doing that too - I'm not won over by the TiVo hype. What's the best way to reformat the V+?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking of doing that too - I'm not won over by the TiVo hype. What's the best way to reformat the V+?

Info is for the Samsung V+ box.

You would want to do this during the day { when its not busy downloading the EPG }

Please note this will wipe the drive and all your planned recordings settings so note them down before following the code below.

To format the hard disk, use the remote control to carry out the steps.

This key sequence needs to be fairly rapid succession of key presses taking less than 10 seconds.

If STOP or QUIT appears you will need to start the process again.

Keystrokes - keys have to be pressed quickly

Press the HOME button

Press down the PLAY button and hold for 5 seconds { E-00 appears on the display }

Press the V+ button { E-01 appears on the display }

Press the CH - button 4 times.

As you do this hdd1, hdd2, hdd3 then hdd4 will appear on the display.

Reformatting will then begin and ‘ ---- ’ will appear on the display.

You may see ' OK '

Upon completion (up to 5-8 minutes depending on how full the hard disk is) the V+ will reboot.

I have wiped the hard disc every 3/4 months and its been as good as gold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    Virgin do own the equipment - it will be within your contract so they can ask for it back.

Aahhh shucks, oh well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might sound like a daft question! But surely I can watch stuff off the hard drive if I connected the v+ box to a tv but not plumb it into a virgin service? Ie if I took it up to the new house where there is no virgin service.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    This might sound like a daft question! But surely I can watch stuff off the hard drive if I connected the v+ box to a tv but not plumb it into a virgin service? Ie if I took it up to the new house where there is no virgin service.

Yes -daft question. V+ will not work unless connected to Virgin Media.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Even then you would have to be paying for a V+ subscription, no V+ subscription, no V+!

The only way, as others have said, is to connect the box via SCART to a recording device while you still have a V+ subscription.