Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Murray and Phil Brown will be 5live's commentary team for tonights FA Cup 5th round replay between Everton and Oldham.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 26th February

BBC WM

League One
    Richard Wilford and Jimmy Walker:Carlisle v Walsall

BBC WM sport is presented by Mark Regan from the ground

Jimmy was BBC WM's pundit like what Ron Atkinson did
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Simon Davies (studio host)

Barrow V Wrexham - John Hardy and Waynne Phillips (North FM / Online)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

John Ford (studio host)

Colchester United V Yeovil Town - Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet (95.5FM)
    Northampton Town V Bristol Rovers - Ed Hadwin and Keith Brookman (94.9FM / 103.6FM* / 104.6FM / DAB)

* 103.6FM is the local relay of Radio Bristol for those living in Weston-super-Mare. I've listed it here as it's the first time I've heard it given out for listeners to know 'where they ought to be' this season!
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 26th February - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: FA Cup Special from Goodison Park alongside Ray Houghton

FA Cup Fifth Round Replay
    Everton v Oldham Athletic - Nigel Adderley and Ray Houghton (7.45pm commentary), with Graham Beecroft at pitchside and James Dodd producing

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire

Clive Eakin presenting The Sky Blues Live from Dean Court

League One
    AFC Bournemouth v Coventry City - Clive Eakin and Geoff Foster (7.45pm FM and DAB commentary)

Conference Premier
    Nuneaton Town v Kidderminster Harriers - Dave Sharpe and Matt Davies (7.45pm BBC Sport website commentary)

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from the studio

League One
    AFC Bournemouth v Coventry City - Chris Coles and Dave Bennett (7.45pm commentary in Coventry & Warwickshire)
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Presented by John Sinclair from the King Power Stadium

Championship
    Leicester City v Blackburn - Ian Stringer and Alan Young (commentary)
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 26.2.13

With Mark Pougatch at Goodison Park

Everton v Oldham - John Murray + Phil Brown

Bolton v Peterborough - Dave Woods
    Burnley v Huddersfield - Peter Slater
    Leicester v Blackburn - Mike Sewell (John Acres + Steve Froggatt on SE)
    Sheff Utd v Leyton Orient - Steve May
    Swindon v Bury - Russell Fuller
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 26/2/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Pittodrie on 810MW.

Aberdeen v Ross County (7.45pm) - Scott Davie, Willie Miller and John Robertson (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 26th February

BBC WM

League One
    Richard Wilford and Jimmy Walker:Carlisle v Walsall

BBC WM sport is presented by Mark Regan from the ground

Jimmy was BBC WM's pundit like what Ron Atkinson did

I have been listening to WM Sport tonight and have thoroughly enjoyed Richard and Wacka's commentary (and not just because of the result! :D). Jimmy sounds like a natural - given that this was his first co-commentary ever I have been very impressed. His analysis has been clear and concise and I particularly liked how keen he was to analyse both the performances of both goalkeepers in detail. Obviously Walsall (and West Ham) fans will know him for being a big personality and that has shone through tonight as well.

I'm sure he has a future on WM - with David Kelly returning to assistant management in recent weeks, WM's weeknight Football Phone-In could do with adding a new pundit to represent Walsall (although I believe Martin O'Connor pops up from time to time, I don't think he's a regular though) so hopefully we'll hear Wacka on that show from time to time as well as on their live coverage of Saddlers games.

On that, it was mentioned that WM will be doing live commentary on Walsall v Tranmere Rovers a fortnight tonight. By my count, that will be their eighth live Saddlers commentary this season, leaving just two more commentary opportunities remaining in 2012/13 from their ten-match deal with the club. I don't want to be a jinx so I won't speculate about whether or not WM will look to get a slight extension on that limit should Walsall reach the "P word"... :p
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official Huddersfield Town website*
    host and commentator: Paul Ogden
    summariser: Kieran O'Regan

BBC Radio York
    host: Sharon Shortle
    Rotherham United versus York City
    commentator: Barry Parker
    summariser: Chris Jones
    Harrogate Town versus Boston United
    reporter: Rob Wilson

BBC Radio Humberside
    studio: Tim Steere
    host: Matt Dean at Glanford Park
    Scunthorpe United versus Stevenage (FM)
    commentator: Mike White
    summariser: George Kerr
    Grimsby Town versus Ebbsfleet United (AM, DAB and online)
    commentator: John Tondeur

BBC Radio Sheffield
    studio: Andy Giddings
    host: Rob Staton
    Shrewsbury Town versus Doncaster Rovers
    commentator: Rob Staton
    summariser: ?
    Sheffield United versus Leyton Orient
    reporter: Paul Walker
    Rotherham United versus York City
    reporter: Murray Burnell
    Chesterfield versus Aldershot Town
    reporter: Paul Fisher
  • GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Everton v Oldham Athletic - Ian Cheeseman and Andy Ritchie - commentary
    Bolton Wanderers v Peterborough United - Jack Dearden - reports
    Swindon Town v Bury - Graham Miller - reports
    Rochdale v Accrington Stanley - Phil Kinsella - reports
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it's been touched on before. I'm increasingly hearing R5L & TalkSport commentating at the same matches, another example last night. What is the reason for this?
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if it's been touched on before. I'm increasingly hearing R5L & TalkSport commentating at the same matches, another example last night. What is the reason for this?

Well, that never happens in the Premier League but the deal for the FA Cup allows both channels non-exclusive rights to every match and, as it was the only match played last night, both decided to cover it. I think that's absolutely fine, because different people prefer the two stations.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 27/2/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW.

Dundee v St Johnstone - Jim Spence and Allan Preston
    Hibernian v Kilmarnock - Charlie Mann
    Inverness CT v Dundee Utd - John Robertson
    Motherwell v Celtic - Chick Young and Murdo MacLeod
    St Mirren v Hearts - Billy Dodds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Steve has clarified the reason for this in his post beneath yours, but to explain why this has started to happen increasingly regularly over the last couple of months, it is because at the beginning of this season talkSPORT signed a new deal with The FA to gain non-exclusive commentary rights to The FA Cup, Community Shield and England friendly internationals, as well as a new one with the Football League which has extended their existing League Cup rights (which are also non-exclusive) from just enabling them to do live commentary on the final to one that also allows them to commentate on least one live game from most rounds plus both legs of both semi-finals.

Therefore, since the start of 2013 we have had the third, fourth and fifth rounds of the FA Cup plus quite a few replays, the semi-finals and final of the Capital One Cup and the England v Brazil friendly - all of which talkSPORT are now able to cover live as well as Radio 5 Live due to their newly-signed deals. In the recent past, the only games that have been live commentaries on both talkSPORT and Radio 5 Live have been the League Cup Final, all three Football League Play-Off Finals and about a dozen European club games per season. This season's new rights deals have changed that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 27th February - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: FA Cup Special from the Riverside Stadium alongside Stan Collymore

FA Cup Fifth Round
    Middlesbrough v Chelsea - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (7.45pm commentary), with Graham Courtney at pitchside and James Dodd producing
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and oficial Bradford City website
    studio: Nick Hatton
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: Wayne Jacobs

The Pulse
    host and commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd

Last night's Summariser on the Doncaster Rovers match for BBC Radio Sheffield was Mickey Walker.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5Live, 27.02/2013.
    FA Cup 5th round: Middlesbrough v Chelsea.
    Mark Pougatch presenting with commentary from Alan Green * and Craig Burley.
    Scottish Premier.
    Motherwell v Celtic, Roddy Forsyth.
    *I only heard bits of commentary but don't think anyone else was with Alan and Craig on commentary at the Riverside.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly odd commentary selections in terms of location. Alan Green lives nearer Liverpool than 'Boro and John Murray lives near 'Boro!
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,555
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Slightly odd commentary selections in terms of location. Alan Green lives nearer Liverpool than 'Boro and John Murray lives near 'Boro!
    I thought that John Murray now lives in West London.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    I thought that John Murray now lives in West London.

I didn't know that, he's been NE based in the past. Apologies for that
    Forum Member
    I have been listening to WM Sport tonight and have thoroughly enjoyed Richard and Wacka's commentary (and not just because of the result! :D). Jimmy sounds like a natural - given that this was his first co-commentary ever I have been very impressed. His analysis has been clear and concise and I particularly liked how keen he was to analyse both the performances of both goalkeepers in detail. Obviously Walsall (and West Ham) fans will know him for being a big personality and that has shone through tonight as well.

I'm sure he has a future on WM - with David Kelly returning to assistant management in recent weeks, WM's weeknight Football Phone-In could do with adding a new pundit to represent Walsall (although I believe Martin O'Connor pops up from time to time, I don't think he's a regular though) so hopefully we'll hear Wacka on that show from time to time as well as on their live coverage of Saddlers games.

On that, it was mentioned that WM will be doing live commentary on Walsall v Tranmere Rovers a fortnight tonight. By my count, that will be their eighth live Saddlers commentary this season, leaving just two more commentary opportunities remaining in 2012/13 from their ten-match deal with the club. I don't want to be a jinx so I won't speculate about whether or not WM will look to get a slight extension on that limit should Walsall reach the "P word"... :p

on Twitter Mike Taylor said that they will be commentary of the Walsall game on Good Friday and to pick up on the point about Jimmy i have to say WM will have a job to keep him, i hope he could become a regular on WM with the station covering games on DAB he may be on there in the future, also Martin O'Connor is a regular on the Footy Phone In and i think Peter Withe has Joined aswell.

This weekend they will have reports at the fa vase involving the 2 clubs from the area: Walsall Wood and Gornal
  • Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday 1st March 2013 - Free Radio 80s 1800-2200

Tom Ross presenting The Friday Night Football Phone-in followed by The Goalzone from the Molineux

Championship
    Wolverhampton v Watford - Tom Ross & Andy Thompson - 990/1017AM & DAB in the Black Country and Shropshire

Mat Murray is doing TV tonight, but he joins Tom for the Phone-in
    Forum Member
    Friday 1st March

BBC WM

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Wolves v Watford

BBC WM sport presented by Mark Regan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 1st March - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presented Kick Off alongside Sam Matterface

Championship
    Derby County v Crystal Palace - Simon Humphreys
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Watford - Ian Danter

Rugby League: Super League
    Salford City Reds v London Broncos - Mark Wilson

Thanks for the upcoming BBC WM details Connor, good to hear that they'll be providing FA Vase updates tomorrow given that only three of the area's league clubs are in action on Saturday.

By my reckoning, Yeovil Town v Walsall on Good Friday should take WM up to their full quota of 10 Saddlers commentaries for the season, as I would expect them to also provide a full commentary on Hartlepool United v Walsall on the Saturday before that, what with it being an international weekend. Birmingham are playing Wolves on Easter Monday at 3pm which will almost certainly take priority over Walsall and from looking at the fixtures there aren't any more standalone Saddlers games between then and the end of the (regular) season.

As for The West Midlands Football Phone-In, Peter Withe replaced David Kelly as WM's regular pundit on the Tuesday night edition of the programme when Ned became Walsall's assistant manager last month. Going by the iPlayer, this week they've had Withe (Monday), Richard Sneekes (Tuesday), Steve Froggatt (Wednesday) and Martin O'Connor (Thursday). Not sure who the pundit with Franksy was on tonight's show. I'd like Jimmy Walker to become a regular on the station, either as a phone-in pundit and/or a co-commentator. He certainly made a good impression on Tuesday night judging by the feedback they received on the text during the game.
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby League: Super League
    Salford City Reds v London Broncos - Mark Wilson

good to see talksport covering Rugby League, being from Northern Ireland I can't say I am a big fan of the game and I am more a Union man but I do catch the odd match here or there but why did they report from Salford v Broncos when Leeds were playing St. Helens. Surely that is like covering Wigan v Fulham in the Premier League instead of Manchester United v Chelsea