Confirmed format changes for the voice UK series 2

2»

Comments

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I have posted this elsewhere, but I hope it will be of interest.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the BBC will do. My thinking is it has to start on 23 March to fit it all in. We have been told the following (some things more certain than others):

- More blind audition shows than the 4 last year (implying more battle shows than the 2 last year)
    - "Between 15 and 20" contestants per team initially (up from 10 last year)
    - New feature: 'steals' at the battle stage (up to 4 losing contestants saved by rival coaches)
    - New knockout round after the battles, whittling 28 down to 12 to go through to the live shows
    - First live show starts on 8 June (night of BGT final)
    - Only three live shows

Here is how I think it might pan out:
    - 6 x blind audition shows from 23 March to 27 April inclusive, with 60 picked by the coaches. This is an average of 10 per show, which was how many were picked last year (40 in 4 audition shows)
    - 3 x battle shows from 4 to 18 May inclusive. Over 3 weeks, not two shows crammed into a weekend like last year (they feared a US-style ratings slump at the battle stage, but the steal twist should keep interest up and it was the live shows that turned out to be the real problem). 12 battles per show, 12 eliminated each week: 60 to 48 to 36 to 24. Plus four steals (if all are used) = 28 left.
    - 2 x knockout rounds on 25 May and 1 June. 8 eliminated each week, leaving 12 to progress to the live shows.
    - 3 x live shows. 4 eliminated in each of the first two live shows, leaving 4 for the final on 22 June, a day after the longest day of the year, and two days before midsummer's day.

I've really been thinking about this too hard :D but it looks OK to me.
    Forum Member
    A poster on another thread has highlighted my maths error, and that the blinds should be shorter episodes this year. My amended suggestion is that 6 x hour-long blind audition shows would produce 48 successful contestants, halving to 24 in the battles. Add 4 steals, and you then have 28 into the knockouts as we have been told.
    Forum Member
    My revised prediction of the scheduling, now that we know the show starts on 30 March:

- 6 x 60-minute blind-audition shows from 30 March to 4 May inclusive, with 48 picked by the coaches.
    - 4 x 60-minute battle shows spread over two weekends (11/12 and 18/19 May). 6 battles per show, 6 eliminated each show: 48 to 42 to 36 to 30 to 24. Plus four steals (if all are used) = 28.
    - 2 x knockout rounds on 25 May and 1 June. 8 eliminated each week, leaving 12 to progress to the live shows.
    - 3 x live shows. 4 eliminated in each of the first two live shows, leaving 4 for the final on 22 June.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    My revised prediction of the scheduling, now that we know the show starts on 30 March:

- 6 x 60-minute blind-audition shows from 30 March to 4 May inclusive, with 48 picked by the coaches.
    - 4 x 60-minute battle shows spread over two weekends (11/12 and 18/19 May). 6 battles per show, 6 eliminated each show: 48 to 42 to 36 to 30 to 24. Plus four steals (if all are used) = 28.
    - 3 x live shows. 4 eliminated in each of the first two live shows, leaving 4 for the final on 22 June.

Would one of those Saturdays be lost to Eurovision, or did they squeeze it in alongside last year?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurovision is May 18th, I can't remember if The Voice aired that Saturday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Eurovision is May 18th, I can't remember if The Voice aired that Saturday.

It did. Eurovision came on directly after it.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds confusing and messy. I don't like them bringing changes and twists to the format so quickly. Sounds a bit like x factor to be honest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Sounds confusing and messy. I don't like them bringing changes and twists to the format so quickly. Sounds a bit like x factor to be honest

The US show has been different every season. It's just how they do it.