What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• geniejeangeniejean Posts: 109,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt, I didn't like this at all, although the reviews were very mixed on Amaxon, I decided to give it a go, and ended up skimming through, now reading

The Mermaids Singing - Val McDermid
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    "Broken Harbour" by Tana French. I adore her stuff and this one is currently keeping me well hooked. I do like the way a peripheral character from her previous novel becomes the main focus of the current one, and how you don't always get a complete solution to the mystery...somehow makes it more authentic as the police really don't solve everything! Always satisfying though.

Orderd it now! Strangely the hardback edition was cheaper than the paperback!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading Jack and Jill by James Patterson, nearly finished it though
    Going on holiday on Wednesday and I intend to read
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    2nd Chance by James Patterson
    Cat & Mouse by James Patterson
    Die Trying by Lee Child
    666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce
    Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting 'The Wicked Girls' by Alex Marwood

:eek:
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rough Crossings by Simon Schama:

the story of the struggle for freedom by African-American slaves who fled the plantations to fight behind British lines in the American War of Independence.

I know nothing of this subject and was intrigued to see it - have just started this book but it seems very interesting.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Peter Robinson's Before the Poison .. a departure from his Inspector Banks series.

Well crafted mystery surrounding a doctor's wife hanged for killing her husband in 1953 .. Almost 60 yrs later a Hollywood score writer moves in to their former home and becomes obsessed with the case .. Did Grace really kill her husband ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Orderd it now! Strangely the hardback edition was cheaper than the paperback!

Yeah that happens sometimes :)

I am nearly at the end, will be sad to finish it, been really good.

Am hoping we get a resolution on this story not an open ended finish because its really intriguing :)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz.

Really enjoying this, so glad I have a free afternoon to find out what on earth is going on!
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Barbara Delinsky- Escape
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I'm reading The Good Jihadist by Bob Shepherd. It's really a gripping read.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I've just started Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages by Tom Holt (one of my favourite authors). As expected, I am loving it so far.
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting 'The Wicked Girls' by Alex Marwood

:eek:

I've just started this today. Enjoying it so far, thankfully, as have had terrible taste in books recently!

Really struggled to find anything I could get into.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    I've just started this today. Enjoying it so far, thankfully, as have had terrible taste in books recently!

Really struggled to find anything I could get into.

'The Wicked Girls'

Me too, this is my 3rd book, only got to around 30 pages in the last two :( maybe me.
    I'm going to stick with this one.
    So far so good :)
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I've just finished The Long Earth.

Not sure what I'm thinking. I really enjoyed the beginning then got a bit bogged down. A series of events with no depth to the characters. If it's the first of a series, I don't think I'll bother.
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.

Its on the Man Booker Prize List. Excellent book, really enjoyed it. :)

I've also recently read all of the Anne of Green Gable series by LM Montgomery. Quite enjoyed them but the original one was by far the best.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read "The Help" last year. Adored it. Haven't watched the film yet though.

The film is pretty good... Only a couple f points made me gasp out loud and say that it wasn't like that in the book!

Have just started "the hundred year old man who climbed iutnofma window and disappeared."n quite interesting so far...
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz.

Really enjoying this, so glad I have a free afternoon to find out what on earth is going on!

Fantastic book from a fantastic writer,really glad you are enjoying it:)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kira nerys wrote: »
    Fantastic book from a fantastic writer,really glad you are enjoying it:)

Had me gripped from start to finish..I must check out his other books. Have you read any of the others?
  • katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Stop the Clock by Alison Mercer

It's good can only describe it as grown up chick lit as it focuses on the lives of 3 old friends but it's more deep than usual chic lit so I'm enjoying it!
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fibber In The Heat - Miles Jupp
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had me gripped from start to finish..I must check out his other books. Have you read any of the others?

Amazing,wasn't it?,no way you could've worked out that twist!!,I thought it was genius:)
    I have read a couple of his others,he is a very good writer,although I dont think he will beat you're next,but definately worth reading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a bunch of promising-sounding books in a charity shop.

Room by Emma Donoghue - A five year old called Jack narrates this novel. He has been living locked up in a single room with his mother for his entire life. A strange Him visits almost nightly, bringing them food and other basic supplies. Jack is happy but Ma is clearly not, and one day starts to plot their escape.

I found this unputdownable and compelling, but it was of course necessary to make the child more than plausibly precocious to make the novel readable in child-thought. Well worth a read.

Broken Silence by Danielle Ramsay - A typical whodunnit with a DI narrating. Utterly cliched, from the going through a divorce, drinking too much and barely hanging onto his job protagonist to an unbelievable level of corruption throughout his colleagues to his love interest being the psychologist on the case. Yawn. I figured out the murderer before I was halfway through the book which is extremely unusual for me.

Morgue Drawer Next Door by Jutta Profijt - A German novel translated into American English. A ghost narrates, helping a forensic pathologist solve murders. The main character, the ghost, was supposed to be some kind of loveable crook, a car thief in life. Whether it was the author or the translator I don't know but the colloquialisms were way OTT. It was trying far too hard to give the ghost a cool, street voice. Cringeworthy. The murder mystery wasn't very interesting either.

I'm now moving onto The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Reading 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch and really enjoying it.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started 'Tuscan Rose' by Belinda Alexandra.

Last week it was 'Iris & Ruby' by Rosie Thomas and have another one by this author lined up - 'The Potter's House'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading Abiding Evil by Alison Buck. Very good spooky, atmospheric thriller, would probably be a good book to save for a dark winters night with the wind howling outside whilst snuggled under a duvet!