'Guardians of the Galaxy', Flop in the Making?

TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not because of the quality of the film, more that it doesn't seem mainstream to me.

Also Marvel must be at the end of their run of success with basically the same formula, audiences get tired of the same thing.

It has to happen one day, this films looks like a likely candidate...

Comments

• Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Looks like a fun sci-fi movie, my kind of film, trouble is i hate cinema nowadays, way too much money and way too many idiots spoiling things for other customers.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always going to be a gamble for them to release a film based on characters a large percentage of people know nothing about. But that could be said of any film surely?

George Lucas pitched Star Wars to a few studios who all turned him down initially because they said it wouldn't work.
    Now I'm not saying GotG will be anywhere near Star Wars box office success (I would like it do reasonably well personally) but I'm sure released under the Marvel banner (and being set in the same universe) that will help its cause.

As for Marvel being at the end of their success; do you mean people getting tired of superhero films? Because I'm not so sure.
    Marvel are celebrating 75 years of publications as are DC with 75 years of Batman. And as the recent Nolan Batman films proved, there's still demand for the stories even when they were retelling Bruce Wayne's origins etc. And now we're getting another version of Batman in the upcoming Dawn of Justice movie.
    In film making terms, it might seem like laziness, just repeating a similar formula, but isn't it a simple case of supply and demand? People like superheroes, they always have. Both Marvel and DC have also had successful TV shows throughout the decades which are still repeated today. Batman, Wonder Woman, several versions of Superman, The Incredible Hulk, and dozens of animated versions of Spider-Man and other cartoon version heroes (in fact, when it was announced the 60's version of Batman was being released on DVD finally, there were many FM's on here who were excited for its release.)
    Not to mention the current crop of superhero based shows; Arrow, The Flash, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    I don't think superheroes are going anywhere just yet.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    deano0501 wrote: »
    It was always going to be a gamble for them to release a film based on characters a large percentage of people know nothing about. But that could be said of any film surely?

George Lucas pitched Star Wars to a few studios who all turned him down initially because they said it wouldn't work.
    Now I'm not saying GotG will be anywhere near Star Wars box office success (I would like it do reasonably well personally) but I'm sure released under the Marvel banner (and being set in the same universe) that will help its cause.

As for Marvel being at the end of their success; do you mean people getting tired of superhero films? Because I'm not so sure.
    Marvel are celebrating 75 years of publications as are DC with 75 years of Batman. And as the recent Nolan Batman films proved, there's still demand for the stories even when they were retelling Bruce Wayne's origins etc. And now we're getting another version of Batman in the upcoming Dawn of Justice movie.
    In film making terms, it might seem like laziness, just repeating a similar formula, but isn't it a simple case of supply and demand? People like superheroes, they always have. Both Marvel and DC have also had successful TV shows which are still repeated today. Batman, Wonder Woman, several versions of Superman, The Incredible Hulk, and dozens of animated versions of Spider-Man and other cartoon version heroes (in fact, when it was announced the 60's version of Batman was being released on DVD finally, there were many FM's on here who were excited for its release.)
    Not to mention the current crop of superhero based shows; Arrow, The Flash, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    I don't think superheroes are going anywhere just yet.

I had no idea it was from a comic, i just thought it was fun movie with some fun characters in it, i reckon thats how most will see it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I had no idea it was from a comic, i just thought it was fun movie with some fun characters in it, i reckon thats how most will see it.

I only have a very passing knowledge of the comic - all i really know is what the promotion for the film has told me - and I think it could be a great bit of fun, "cool" sci-fi.

I'm lucky I have an independent cinema near me anyway so it'll only cost me £4 quid to see it :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World War Z was widely expected to flop but became Brad Pitt's biggest hit to date (Maleficent was seen as potentially dodgy too) so I wouldn't make predictions. HTTYD 2 has underperformed at the US box office despite glowing reviews so who can say?
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with Edge of tomorrow, one of the best summer blockbusters for years but it will struggle to make its budget back, frnachise serialised nonsense seems to rule it would seem...
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not going to flop.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Same with Edge of tomorrow, one of the best summer blockbusters for years but it will struggle to make its budget back, frnachise serialised nonsense seems to rule it would seem...

In fairness good word of mouth has led to it holding well in America after a poor opening but it will still probably finish under $100 million.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I think most people and even Marvel themselves know that GOTG is a gamble but this is the sort of gamble that Marvel need to take.As they can't keep producing constant sequels to Iron Man,Thor,Captain America etc.They need to use their other characters like Guardians and other upcoming films like Ant Man and Doctor Strange!

I don't think that Marvel expect GOTG to be a massive success and they will properly be happy if it just makes a profit which I think will be achieved just by the amount of Marvel film fans who will go to watch it!
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a gamble when it was first announced but Marvel have done a great job promoting it so far.

The number of views for the trailer along with 'mentions' on social media show that there is zero chance of it flopping.
    Forum Member
    Well the first tracking figures for Guardians Of The Galaxy in the US have it opening to $60m which if correct is a good start!
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well the first tracking figures for Guardians Of The Galaxy in the US have it opening to $60m which if correct is a good start!

It's pretty exciting because it's the first new cinematic adaptation of a Marvel property in this current universe since Captain America in 2011.
    Forum Member
    Yeah and it will feature an appearance from a certain Marvel villian who becomes very important in future Marvel films!

I've been looking forward to Guardians Of The Galaxy for a long while as it opens up a whole new Marvel universe.Especially after reading the comics as well!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yeah and it will feature an appearance from a certain Marvel villian who becomes very important in future Marvel films!

I've been looking forward to Guardians Of The Galaxy for a long while as it opens up a whole new Marvel universe.Especially after reading the comics as well!

That's the main reason I'm going to see it! :D I don't really know much about this bunch otherwise. Marvel have chosen a good month to release it though so I think it can do $330m-$380m. Wouldn't be much of a profit in that (if any) but then it's a new franchise and could easily do well on home media.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    two words. rocket. racoon....
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of the few films I've been waiting to be released this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I can't take to this movie, something about it just seems off kilter. I like all the other Marvel stuff but this just all looks a bit stupid and goofy. Maybe the final movie will be good but the trailers aren't getting me excited at all.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Looks good to me, can't wait
    Forum Member
    I've wanted to see this film for ages and I hope its as good as it looks in trailers.However I don't think it will be to everybody taste!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I think it will do just fine.

I'm surprised at the stellar cast it has. Quite a few really big actors which is surprising considering how unknown this property is.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My usual cinema going group's collective reaction was "It's a talking raccoon with a gun?!"

I may have to go by myself if I want to see this on the big screen. I've avoided any spoilers so far. I don't even know who this villain is as alluded to in an above post and am resisting the urge to Google it.
    I don't think it will be a hit though. People will see a talking raccoon and tree and pass on it. But it may well be a hit on DVD/Blu Ray, a la Dredd.
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to GOTG.

I've noticed when my kids have been watching current Avengers and Spiderman cartoons that the GOTG characters have cropped up a few times so kids will be familiar with the characters.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Not because of the quality of the film, more that it doesn't seem mainstream to me.

Neither was Iron Man when it came out originally. That kind of thinking is what happens in the boardrooms of Hollywood which is why they keep trying to chase the same thing and come out with endless sequels because it has some guaranteed audience and we hardly get anything new and when we do - we get endless repeats because the money men think this is the safest way of generating a huge profit.
    Also Marvel must be at the end of their run of success with basically the same formula, audiences get tired of the same thing.

Pixar has managed it for a decade
    It has to happen one day, this films looks like a likely candidate...

As long as they have compelling stories then there is no reason why it should not continue. To be honest I was not going to see any super hero movies this year but relented on this because it does look different.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My usual cinema going group's collective reaction was "It's a talking raccoon with a gun?!"

I may have to go by myself if I want to see this on the big screen. I've avoided any spoilers so far. I don't even know who this villain is as alluded to in an above post and am resisting the urge to Google it.
    I don't think it will be a hit though. People will see a talking raccoon and tree and pass on it. But it may well be a hit on DVD/Blu Ray, a la Dredd.

You're so wrong, both the characters you mentioned are gonna be hugely popular once the film's out.

Tracking to open to $60m in its opening weekend, and I'm predicting more. http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/guardians-of-the-galaxy-tracking-to-open-at-60-million
    Forum Member
    Less than two weeks till Guardians Of The Galaxy is released in the UK!

Interesting that after Marvel recently announced release dates that many websites are saying that Guardians 2 could possible be one of them which seems to show that Marvel have got faith in GOTG!