Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 or Playbook

DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My friend is getting one for her son, which would you get. He would surf get emails and the odd game.

Many thanks

PJ

Comments

• !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7, without a doubt
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can add to that purcahsed a nexus 7 last week from Argos, really good and learning new stuff so much better that a laptop.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Unless your looking at saving some cash I'd go for the Nexus 7 out of those as well and I'm a big fan of the Playbook as well.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using the Nexus 7 for 3 months and I find it virtually impossible to fault at all. I also have a Playbook but I hardly use it at all now.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've been using the Nexus 7 for 3 months and I find it virtually impossible to fault at all. I also have a Playbook but I hardly use it at all now.

I alternate between the two.

I find chrome a hateful experience, much prefer the browser on the Playbook. Overall the Playbook is way better built than the Nexus 7, speakers are leagues ahead (the Nexus 7 speaker is badly placed and a bit lousy)

But if I were to be buying for either of my sons, it would be a Nexus 7. Although my youngest would probably ask for both a Nexus 7 and a Playbook ....
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I alternate between the two.

I find chrome a hateful experience, much prefer the browser on the Playbook. Overall the Playbook is way better built than the Nexus 7, speakers are leagues ahead (the Nexus 7 speaker is badly placed and a bit lousy)

I'd agree that the PB has a better build quality, feels more sturdy in the hand and looks like it would survive a drop better - but that does make it slightly more bulky and heavy.

I can't say I've had any problems with the Chrome browser. I take your point about the speaker but I mostly listen to audio by headphones so it's not a massive issue but it's something I hope is improved in the second generation Nexus 7.

The biggest pain with the Nexus is that the volume buttons are right next to the standby/lock button and I'm always pressing it by accident.

If you mainly need a device to be a portable media player and for web/email then it's perfectly usable - and the latest price of the 64GB model is a bargain. It's only when you look at app support that the Nexus has a clear advantage.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    My vote goes towards the Nexus 7 as well. Mine was the best purchase I'd made in a while.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The Playbook is a great device and has a HDMI out port but not a great selection of games. So if he's a gamer I'd say the Nexus, but if it's playing films etc I'd give serious consideration to a 64 gig Playbook.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I would go with the Nexus 7
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I love my Playbook but the shortage of apps is annoying, so i use my Ipad for games.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Don't rule out the Galaxy Tab 7.7, CEX £215 A GRADE-superb screen with Jelly Bean on the way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssr wrote: »
    Don't rule out the Galaxy Tab 7.7, CEX £215 A GRADE-superb screen with Jelly Bean on the way

So you'd be willing to pay more for a second hand Galaxy tab than a brand new Nexus 7? Thats way overpriced .... as per most things at CEX ....
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    So you'd be willing to pay more for a second hand Galaxy tab than a brand new Nexus 7? Thats way overpriced .... as per most things at CEX ....

My son just has, he wanted the extra 0.7 inches
    The Galaxy Tab is in mint condition with equal resolution to the Nexus 7 plus Amoled screen and micro sd card access. ICS at the moment but JB guaranteed soon.
    Plus 1 year CEX warranty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Galaxy Tab is in mint condition with equal resolution to the Nexus 7 plus Amoled screen and micro sd card access. ICS at the moment but JB guaranteed soon.
    Plus 1 year CEX warranty

Sorry, but more money than sense there.

1 year CEX warranty, honestly - that isn't worth anything, you may as well buy from a car boot sale (hint, I've tried to claim on a CEX "warranty" before now). CEX are okay as long as you treat them like a car boot sale that overcharges.

The only way you can be guaranteed to keep up to date with the Tab 7.7 is to slap cyanogenmod on there. Samsung will give up soon enough and not offer any updates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus 1 year CEX warranty

Don't know if your son is aware, but there is a known hardware issue with some Tab 7.7 models out there; a firmware update can result in the device being unbootable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1690325

Run the "Got BrickBug" application to check - and if you do, be very careful about installing updates.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The biggest pain with the Nexus is that the volume buttons are right next to the standby/lock button and I'm always pressing it by accident.

This might be your answer!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭