MKS, sugababes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
Hello!

I was looking on the Polydor website to see if MKS were still signed as we are not hearing anything of substance from them at all, when I noticed a few lines underneath that Polydor also have the Sugababes as current artists :s. Does this mean maybe the band are back together? Just found it odd as Jade said the band had ended nearly 3 years ago

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    As far as I was aware, Sugababes haven't ever been signed to Polydor so it's a little strange. Signed to London until 2001, Island until 2011 and then that deal with RCA.

I doubt AKH are back together, who are in the picture. Quite odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought! Find it a little odd can't remember seeing them on there before. MKS need to get this album out I'm dying for it lol
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is odd, maybe something of a reunion is happening?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Island and Polydor are under the same Universal Music umbrella. Basically they are all connected to the same music group.

I wouldn't read anything into this.
    Forum Member
    But Sugababes weren't signed to Island when they split up so it doesn't make any sense lol. The picture being 3.0 rather than 4.0. I don't think there is any reunion happening with 3.0 though,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Sugababes weren't signed to Island when they split up so it doesn't make any sense lol. The picture being 3.0 rather than 4.0. I don't think there is any reunion happening with 3.0 though,

Island are still their distributer for all the material recorded while on their books. So Island still make money from them despite them no longer being signed. They will get a percentage of earnings from royalties.

That's why this line up is probably still listed there. I agree its odd they are using an image of Keisha and not Jade but like I say, I wouldn't get too excited.
    Forum Member
    Island are still their distributer for all the material recorded while on their books. So Island still make money from them despite them no longer being signed. They will get a percentage of earnings from royalties.

That's why this line up is probably still listed there. I agree its odd they are using an image of Keisha and not Jade but like I say, I wouldn't get too excited.

Oh no I'm not getting excited lol, it's just strange Polydor list them as being signed to them when they aren't that's all.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certain I saw an item in Metro (I think) over the weekend that said MKS have now been dropped - but I don't see anything online about it.

Anyone know?
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certain I saw an item in Metro (I think) over the weekend that said MKS have now been dropped - but I don't see anything online about it.

Anyone know?

I wouldn't be surprised I mean how do you carry on after a hyped comeback single fails to chart higher than number FIFTY?
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't surprise or bother me at this point. One single in almost two years is ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised I mean how do you carry on after a hyped comeback single fails to chart higher than number FIFTY?
    It wouldn't surprise or bother me at this point. One single in almost two years is ridiculous.

I suspect if true there is an album already finished and mothballed at Polydor that may never see the light of day now.
    Forum Member
    I suspect if true there is an album already finished and mothballed at Polydor that may never see the light of day now.

The reunion was confirmed in July 2012, Siobhan tweeted in August the album was complete. It them took another year to get the first single out lol, I'd agree MKS album 1 is unlikely to see release.
    Forum Member
    I agree! Don't think it will ever see the light of day
    Forum Member
    GUYS!!!!

I have news!
    Tweeted polydor MKS and keisha. Basically asking what's going on are we ever going to hear anything? Keisha direct messaged me this...

All will be explained I promise :) just KNOW we are very happy and excited about this year xxx so sorry about the long ass wait xx
    Forum Member
    Dan_Miell wrote: »
    GUYS!!!!

I have news!
    Tweeted polydor MKS and keisha. Basically asking what's going on are we ever going to hear anything? Keisha direct messaged me this...

All will be explained I promise :) just KNOW we are very happy and excited about this year xxx so sorry about the long ass wait xx

I will expect an announcement in September 2015 then lol
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will expect an announcement in September 2015 then lol

Maybe we should hold you to your prediction above?
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan_Miell wrote: »
    keisha: All will be explained I promise :) just KNOW we are very happy and excited about this year xxx so sorry about the long ass wait xx

Can anyone think of a genuine explanation? (that isn't down to the record company or 'Flatline' underperforming)..cos I can't?..any ideas welcome
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone think of a genuine explanation? (that isn't down to the record company or 'Flatline' underperforming)..cos I can't?..any ideas welcome

Probably something to do with the fact Keisha and Mutya are unlikeable while Siobhan is pretty much a non entity. After 14 years away they had no active fanbase to fall back into. People forget that apart from a strong debut single the first line up flopped. This along with the last Sugababes line up tarnishing the brand destroyed them. They were never going to go anywhere. They are pretty much impossible to market.
    Forum Member

Maybe I'm wrong here but here goes:

One day Keisha gets kicked out of Sugababes, the next day/week the media are saying that everybody wants an original member reunion. So MKS see all these articles and maybe forums and tweets on how Sugababes hadn't been the same since Siobhan left, they were the best line-up. Understandably, MKS see all this positive reaction to the original line-up and decide to give it ago.

The problem was, we waited almost a year for confirmation that they were getting back together, a month later the album was complete. It then took a year to get the debut single out, released badly, and it flopped.

The reason? For me, it was all empty hype. Nostalgia is a brilliant thing, but they weren't the Sugababes that the majority supported, THE Sugababes line-up was Keisha, Mutya and Heidi, that is what everybody loved.

People assumed that the group that took eight years to sell 200k copies 12/13 years ago would come back and be a hit. People wanted the reunion, until they got the reunion.

Flatline flopped and Polydor seemingly pulled the plug because they signed a group based on media hype that amounted to nothing. They took too long, far far too long.

All the hypocrisy didn't help. For 12/13 years, Keisha was Siobhan's first bully, they never got on and when they had a record to sell, Siobhan forgot all this. That would have been fine, but they didn't say "it was years ago, we've talked and it's all forgotten", she said it never happened and Keisha was never a bitch.

Keisha said many times in Sugababes that they didn't truly become Sugababes until Heidi joined, she didn't feel comfortable until Heidi was in the band, again when they had a record to sell, Sugababes never felt like Sugababes after Siobhan left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see keisha giving them as "explanations"..I was more thinking of a practical reason she may give
    Forum Member
    I can't see keisha giving them as "explanations"..I was more thinking of a practical reason she may give

I don't think there is a practical reason. Other than saying "Polydor don't have faith in us that we can sell the album"
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing they could do now is get all six together for a warts & all documentary and if that does well an "Ultimate Sugababe" tour. We know Jades up for it lol

ITV2 would eat this up.
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    The only thing they could do now is get all six together for a warts & all documentary and if that does well an "Ultimate Sugababe" tour. We know Jades up for it lol

ITV2 would eat this up.

ITV2 would love The Big Sugababes Reunion lol and I think a tour could sell. It would be fun to see a series of shows, each line-up discussing truthfully what ended their time together.

The problem I can see is, I don't think it would be truthful. It would be the same stuff we've already heard, which contradicts what we are told at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No - it's certain to be down to Polydor. Maybe they are organising a different finance deal to get the music out. These days I guess there is no point in releasing the album unless there is a corresponding tour to make some money. We'd just be happy to hear the album of course.

In one way no news is good news I suppose - showing there is still some hope of appearances. Otherwise they may as well give up and just let the album release as cheaply as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fun to see a series of shows, each line-up discussing truthfully what ended their time together.

seeing as they've all signed contracts to not speak about what happened with Keisha I think it seems very unlikely (unless that was a lie to get out of talking about it). There exact words may have been "we can't ever talk about it (legally)"