Is Johnny Depp really that good?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me personally, I think he relies more on a costume rather than a performance. He tends to ham up the majority of his roles.

He's a cool guy, but for me, he isn't up there with the likes of Daniel Day Lewis, Heath Ledger or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Comments

• jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is way overhyped and really has not gone down the route of finding his true acting self. I personally think he could be much better but takes on far less serious roles that cover what he could be capable of and also the fact that he keeps working in the darkly sattire movies with Tim Burton and the continuation of being a pirate is a bit...:yawn:

I don't look forward to any of his films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither. I feel he has dried up. Especially his endless collaborations with Tim Burton.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I think, for him, it depends on the role he's playing. Very much like Will Smith (also over-hyped). His best character was Jack Sparrow. Can't say I've seen Depp in any other film and thought "he's actually pulled that off quite well".
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was very good in Chocolat. And Ed Wood is a masterpiece of great acting.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He only has one performance but it's not bad.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me he was better in older films - Blow, The Secret Window, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow are all favourites of mine.

I've enjoyed his more recent role as Jack Sparrow but barring that, nothing else, really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    He could just sit still and not speak and still be brilliant.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Sparrow always seemed a bit of a party piece to me. He does it well, but it does sometimes come over as more a collection of elaborate mannerisms than a fully-formed character.

He has been terrific in the past (Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco), but some of his more recent outings have looked a bit forced (The Tourist) or phoned in (Public Enemies). Domestic issues have been suggested.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like him. but tonto could be a challenge; judging the trailer!
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not a great actor.Many thought him to be cute and cool when he was younger and as he's got older they still think he's chocolat . I think he's watchable but not someone who'd stop me from leaving the room to make a coffee when he's on tv.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's an okay actor, but he's typecast himself in "offbeat" roles that are essentially all the same. Plus all the plastic surgery is starting to give him an incredibly "done" look when he's not in heavy makeup and soft lighting.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be his biggest fan but he seems to be too focused on playing the oddball in recent years. Despite the critics, I do think Jack Sparrow is a genius creation, although my fave of his is Donnie Brasco where he just played a regular guy doing his job. There's far too much Tim Burton in his career now. Should've stopped that collab at Edward Scissorhands. Plus as much as I adore HBC, I'm sick of seeing them on screen together now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Johnny Depp is cool but looks odd in his new The Lone Ranger.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Yes he is.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!

My fave JD films

Edward Scissorhands
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape
    Donnie Brasco
    Sleepy Hollow
    Chocolat
    The Rum Diary

Obviously the character of Jack Sparrow is genius.

I think he is a wonderful actor.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing actor but i don't think i have seen an amazing performance from him since Sweeny Todd. The films he does with Tim Burton do not even show him at his best. Same with Helena Boham Carter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a fantastic actor, but like a lot of people here, I don't think he's done much of note for a while
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    For me personally, I think he relies more on a costume rather than a performance. He tends to ham up the majority of his roles.

He's a cool guy, but for me, he isn't up there with the likes of Daniel Day Lewis, Heath Ledger or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Completely agree. He's just a face, that makes characters awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned before he's outstanding in Ed Wood, but I was very dissapointed with his portrayal of Willy Wonka.

I guess he's like any actor, he's only as good as the materail he's working with.......

I'd rather he & Tim Burton would stop making films together for a while........
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not really a fan.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Wood was fantastic. Don't like any of his other films cept Fear and loathing..and thats cos of Gilliam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm 50/50, I like maybe half of his films, the other half I think are too hyped and can grate a little on me.

My favourite has got to be Edward Scissorhands, I think that's a wonderful film.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to add i thought he was brilliant in Dark Shadows :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like some of his movies but as mentioned above he has not done a good movie for awhile and needs to stay away from the Tim Burton genre for awhile and try other types of movies to expand himself.

George Clooney for example has played a killer in Italy, father in Hawaii trying to bring up daughters and fly by business man.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go out my way to see a film with him in, but the films i have seen him in have been very good, I do like him has an actor,but for me the film has to appeal to me first....