[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! (series 2) Live Show #2

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
We're back! Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to the second series The X Factor: Mix It Up!

Last Thursday, the top 12 performed live for the first time. It was an amazing live show with an incredible standard to boot, but nevertheless 2 acts had to leave. At the end of the show it was announced that Caitlin Koch, Morgan Sheather and Nick Youngerman were the three acts with the lowest amount of public votes. Caitlin finished in 12th place as a result of being at the very bottom of the vote, while the other two acts sang for their lives in the final showdown. After an incredible display of talent in the sing-off, the judges had to decide who they would send home, which turned out to be Nick Youngerman with a 3 to 1 majority. The boys and the girls categories have both taken a hit last show, but are both far from down and out at this point as there are still two contenders in both categories.

Tonight, your top 10 will be performing songs relating to millitary things. Yes, the theme is 'In The Army', so it's almost a guarantee that we'll be seeing some new and possibly odd song choices tonight. Anyway, the lines will open once all ten acts have performed. During this phase of the show, the DS public (and the judges themselves) will be able to vote for their favourite acts in a bid to keep them out of that dreaded danger zone. It's not as bad as last time though, as only one act will have to leave the competition tonight. The two acts with the fewest votes will have to sing for survival and face the wrath of the judges, who will have the final say in who stays and who goes.

Without further ado, allow me to introduce the incredible judges and the top 10 of The X Factor: Mix It Up!
Your intro tune for tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He695tveBng

jackel1234 and the groups
Black Ivory
Good Question
Princes & Rogues

unclekevo and the girls
Morgan Sheather
Sarah Watson

jag02010 and the boys
Ethan Boroian
Quatrele Da'An Smith

Satanel and the over 25s
Danielle Blakey
Joseph Whelan
Nicola Marie

2 minutes late, I know... :cry:Judges, please confirm your presence if you are here.

Comments

• jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    here and ready and stuff
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here!
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HERE, flawlessly.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This viewer is here with "Black Ivory & Sarah Watson" support banners. :D
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All right then, three judges right off the bat, very nice! :p

Let's start with an act from the one judge that isn't here at the moment. He'll probably arrive sooner or later, but I have his comments so it's no biggie. Anyway, our opening act will be the one and only Ethan Boroian singing Stars (Hold On) by Youngblood Hawke!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr5o10aMfNk
    Note by Justin: the song is about not losing hope and fighting on for a better tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan Boroian.
    Hello Ethan! I thought this was a great start to the show. I don’t think it was to the standard of last week’s performance, especially since the key was quite high to be singing in during the chorus and I’m not sure how well you can cope with that. However other than that, it was a good performance to start. I think you will slip from having the most votes last week (which I do think is the case) to being around middle of the table this week; I feel with a slightly more lenient theme, your mentor will be able to improve a lot with song choices as clearly he has some great ideas from what we saw last week. Well done, Ethan.
    Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian

Let me just strike Youngblood Hawke from the possible artists I was going to use for Princes and Rogues... Again :p ! But anyway last week Ethan you gave probably the best performance of the night as it was just brilliant, this performance didn’t give off the same feeling. Don’t get me wrong it was a good song for you but I think that that slight edge you have in your voice was sort of lost in this song. Still it was a good opening song and I am just loving these indie vibe songs that Justin is going with (as we all know I love my indie songs) and I am expecting you to go through tonight so good performance Ethan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethan Boroian: Hey Ethan, well this was a very tenuous link but then I think everyone struggled with the theme this week so I'm not going to get my rulebook out tonight. This was a quite good song choice! I like the track and I think it gave way to a quite ethereal performance, I enjoyed it and vocally it was good. That said, I don't think it had the edge of last week's song and I personally didn't really connect with it as much as the last song. I feel like it was a good performance but much like Black Ivory last week, my question is whether the public will remember you at the end of the show. I'm not so sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan

After last week's super strong performance, I'm pretty sure you backed it up with an equally strong vocal. Youngblood Hawke is very euphoric in nature, and I wanted to capture a different, more celebratory side of your voice. The song's themes are fitting for this week's show, and I think your voice navigated the tricky water of emoting and staying fun. Great work!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly positive comments for Ethan once again, will he make it through without any problems once again or is there a chance that he'll be in trouble later tonight?

Time for Jack and the groups now. They got great comments on the previous 2 shows, but can Good Question replicate their success again with Ghosts by Arlissa?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhHpfI9CDIs
    Note by Jack: Ghosts as in the Ghost Army of world war two. Also, Kristina will do the rapping/singing rapping whilst Joelle will do the main singing. Joelle will also sing over the rapping every now and again as it is done in the song as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question.
    I thoroughly appreciate Jack taking a risk with his groups and actually, I am inclined to say this worked extremely well for me. I thought it was a fantastically inspired song choice and though others may not see this, I certainly do. The different tempos throughout allowed both individuals in the group to shine, which was great to see! Well done, GQ.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question

Girls, these themes have not been the easiest for you, but both weeks you've come out and done a very good job. Arlissa is an amazing artist and I think this was a nice departure from the dance-heavy vocals you've been giving us. I think there was a really nice vocal blend and tone that suited both of you rather well, and I would like to see more performances in this vein in the future. All in all, good job.
    Forum Member
    Good Question

This week I wanted to take a slight risk by choosing a song that was more indie than urban but still allow your strong vocals, style and chemistry to remain constant like it has done in all the previous songs I’ve chosen for you. Joelle your vocals as always were flawless as always and Kristina your rapping and singing rapping were also flawless. When I first started mentoring you I had a bit of trouble figuring out how I was gonna keep you entertaining and different but as soon as I found out you both could sing I realised how much fun I could have with mentoring you. You’ve given three amazing performances so far and I really hope we can continue with this as I adore mentoring you right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Question: I wasn't a massive fan of this girls! I can see why your mentor picked this for you two as there's the singing/rapping element to it but I feel like there has to be some sort of vocal resemblance for it to work and I could not see either of you pulling this off at all. You're not quirky girls at all and Arlissa has distinctive quirky vocals, she's not your typical urban singer. I think you have been amongst the most consistent acts so far but for me, this was a really disappointing performance. It just felt not very well suited to the two of you and I wasn't impressed by the suitability of it to your vocals sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems the risk Jack and Good Question took this week has paid off for him according to the judges minus Kev. Will the public side with the majority of the judges or will they rally behind Kevin's opinion tonight?

Over to the over 25s and their mentor Zak now. The next act got rave reviews last show, so let's see what the judges think of Danielle Blakey tackling Everybody’s Gone To War by Nerina Pallot!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTCScoUFWk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danielle Blakey: Danielle, you're a really good singer, I love the country-crossover style of your voice and although this was certainly an obvious choice of song for you, it was perfect for you. It has the perfect feel to it, there's an upbeat feel to it but with a sort of melancholic message behind it also. I thought that it was a really good song choice and one which I can see you nailing, you have a really good voice and Zak clearly understands you well as an artist, I would really like to see you going far in this competition because I personally believe that you have one of the best voices in the competition, good job Danielle.
    Forum Member
    Danielle Blakey

Hmmm Danielle I wasn’t as big a fan of this as I was last week as last week it was a simply brilliant performance and although I still liked this performance quite a bit as it was very well suited to you and what you’re all about but last week was just amazing for me. Although, as I said before, this is a difficult theme so it’s hard to expect some of the amazing songs like we did last week. Overall I think this was a good performance and I am quite confident in the fact that you’ll be here next week as you seem to have a bit of a following at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle Blakey.
    I’m not entirely sure whether this was as strong as last week’s performance or not however I hope so! I love Nerina Pallot and I love Danielle Blakey so the two together… well, I love. I thought the vocals were spot on throughout the performance and it was a genuine song with a genuine message regarding war. I loved it Danielle, well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle

This was a good performance, Danielle. Not amazing, not perfect, but good. I think it was a cute song that showed off, once again, the clarity of your voice really well. All in all, this was a middle of the road performance - I wasn't jumping out of my chair in excitement, but I certainly didn't think you did a bad job. Maybe a bit more of an exciting song would have been in your favor this show? After last show's amazing performance, I just would have liked to have seen a bit more from you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Danielle tonight, a bit of a letdown for her and her mentor Zak after the ones she got last time...

Time for another act that was highly praised last show. Her mentor Kevin certainly isn't planning to lose another act tonight, so let's hope that Sarah Watson's rendition of Skeletons by Nina Nesbitt gets some good comments.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AH_mujZq84
    Note: Obviously this conveys the harsh reality of war as skeletons can represent those who pass away in the frontline. Please imagine Sarah's quirky tone but obviously without Nina's Scottish twang.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah

What happened, Sarah? This was not a good follow up to last week's stand out moment - it's almost as if once Kevin gives an amazing song to one of his acts, he doesn't follow up the next week. This was one of the most dull songs you could have picked in the world - she had a song exactly like this last week, and it worked so much better for some reason. Nina's voice sounds a bit grating on the track, and I think that Sarah unfortunately suffered from that. This wasn't your shining moment, I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Watson: Sarah, you were amazing last week and this is amazing again this week, your tone is exquisite and I love your anunciation, it's really sweet and quirky and I really enjoy listening to your interpretation of every song you take on. I thought this was absolutely fantastic, you have a really quirky tone similar to Nina's and I thought that it was one of those performances that I could just listen to with my eyes closed because it was so pure and beautiful. I really loved that Sarah, you need to be here next week because you are an amazing artist with a lot of talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Watson.
    I thought this was okay, Sarah; I wasn’t particularly thrilled with it. As the song progressed, it got a lot better. However, I cannot see the tone of Nina Nesbitt suiting the tone of Sarah much at all so I’m not entirely sure why this song was chosen. I like Nina (mainly due to the name, I like the name Nina – Tekken anyone?) – I’m starting to think the theme was difficult for Kevin? I’m not sure; it was okay – not great.
    Forum Member
    Sarah Watson

Ahh my ideal girl as Kev said earlier this week :p. Ummm Sarah last week you gave probably your best performance but the problem is you’ve gone from that to this which is probably my least favourite performance from you as it just didn’t suit you that well. There was no real power to your voice like we know you have and again like your boot camp performance it was a bit to cutesy in the vocal department for me and just didn’t feel strong enough for you. I just wasn’t a fan of the performance even though I personally adore Nina Nesbitt. If you’re here again next week please try and have some more power in your voice like we’ve seen in your audition instead of this here today.

Also going to eat now and will be back soon :)
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Boos at the comments* :p