Problems with 4OD on PS3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
Forum Member
Is anyone else experiencing problems withe 4OD?

It starts fine.When the adverts play, they are fine too, until it comes to cutting away to the program. At this point, they whole PS3 just freezes, and the only way to get out of this is to turn it off, then back on. The home button does nothing.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If one person comes on here and says 4OD works fine for them I will be amazed. It's totally useless, I have the exact same problem, it looks like it's cutting to ad breaks in the wrong place then freezes mid ad. It wouldn't be so bad if you could quit out of it, but as you say it freezes the whole Playstation. I've stopped using it completely now, I don't know what has gone wrong because it used to work fine.

4OD need to hire whoever designed the BBC iplayer, which is amazing! And very fast since the last update,
  • Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4OD works best using the regular web browser. Just bookmark this address in the PS3 browser and go from there: http://ps3.channel4.com

The PS3 app opens up an older version of the browser which is why it tends to freeze a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kopite79 wrote: »
    4OD works best using the regular web browser. Just bookmark this address in the PS3 browser and go from there: http://ps3.channel4.com

The PS3 app opens up an older version of the browser which is why it tends to freeze a lot.

Oh thanks, I never thought of that. This will be the first time I have used the PS3 web browser, a momentous occasion. If that is the reason 4OD doesn't work it's even more annoying, just update the app! :mad:
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's terrible, I tend to use the 360 instead as it wors better for all catchup.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Why don't Sony have proper PS3 customised apps for Catch-up for BBC iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5, Sky Go & Now TV????

All currently terrible!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Why don't Sony have proper PS3 customised apps for Catch-up for BBC iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5, Sky Go & Now TV????

The BBC iplayer is customised, that's the only one that works really well, ITV is usable, 4OD is crap. Doesn't Xbox have exclusive rights to Sky? (I could have made that last bit up, but I thought that was the case)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

Jenny1986 wrote: »
    The BBC iplayer is customised, that's the only one that works really well, ITV is usable, 4OD is crap. Doesn't Xbox have exclusive rights to Sky? (I could have made that last bit up, but I thought that was the case)

PS3 has a Demand 5 app now as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Yeah, having major issues getting it to play, trying to watch Shameless season 11 is slow and painful. Sometimes it play an episode but then it won't play anything else at all. Just has after the advert, 4oD ident, the main programme is just 00:00

Or it get to an advert but won't continue afterwards partway through a programme or it just stop playing altogether midway through.

Considering it's the worst app on PS3 compared to BBC iplayer, lovefilm, netflix, Channel 4 really should pull this and work on a better app for streaming their online content.
  • Mrs Tesco ValueMrs Tesco Value Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    skipai wrote: »
    Yeah, having major issues getting it to play, trying to watch Shameless season 11 is slow and painful. Sometimes it play an episode but then it won't play anything else at all. Just has after the advert, 4oD ident, the main programme is just 00:00

Or it get to an advert but won't continue afterwards partway through a programme or it just stop playing altogether midway through.

Considering it's the worst app on PS3 compared to BBC iplayer, lovefilm, netflix, Channel 4 really should pull this and work on a better app for streaming their online content.
    Couldn't a Facebook petition perhaps be set up and shown to Channel 4, threatening to boycott using 4oD unless the problem is resolved? :confused:
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive had enough of this im going to get a xbox 360 instead as my media player the 4OD app is usless
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had a problem with 4OD o the PS3, to be honest...

Also, it's not necessarily Sony's fault - the service providers supply and develop their own apps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive had enough of this im going to get a xbox 360 instead as my media player the 4OD app is usless

With the news about these app being removed from behind a pay wall that's not a bad idea.

I have always found the TV apps to be better on the Xbox 360 than the PS3 for some reason.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with 4OD o the PS3, to be honest...

Also, it's not necessarily Sony's fault - the service providers supply and develop their own apps

Had problems on Tuesday with both the PS3 app and using the website on my PC, so suspected the problem was with BT. The PS3 app just gave up after adverts, and the website stream kept hanging for minutes at a time.

Went over to Netflix instead (on PS3 and PC), and no problems at all. No problems with Amazon Prime either. Very odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have always found the TV apps to be better on the Xbox 360 than the PS3 for some reason.

T'other way around for me, which is one reason why I've not been on my 360 since last October-ish.
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Went over to Netflix instead (on PS3 and PC), and no problems at all. No problems with Amazon Prime either. Very odd.

I've found that, on any system, problems with one thing may not affect all services. Possibly to do with how they all handle the streaming of their data differently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the strange thing is the 4OD app used to work fine on my fat 60gb ps3 but that went wrong and the 4OD app doesnt work properly (feezes at last advert on an ad break) on my slim ps3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the strange thing is the 4OD app used to work fine on my fat 60gb ps3 but that went wrong and the 4OD app doesnt work properly (feezes at last advert on an ad break) on my slim ps3

Yeah my slim does this too which is one of the reasons I don't use it, it's effectively only used as a blu-ray player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah my slim does this too which is one of the reasons I don't use it, it's effectively only used as a blu-ray player.

I wonder if it's the hard-drive in your slims... On looking at upgrading my hard-drive I've read comments from folk on various sites stating drives to avoid as on the surface they're fine but for stuff like iPlayer etc. they fall over...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I wonder if it's the hard-drive in your slims... On looking at upgrading my hard-drive I've read comments from folk on various sites stating drives to avoid as on the surface they're fine but for stuff like iPlayer etc. they fall over...

Mine is a seagate hybrid drive if that helps.

Also Netflix and iPlayer were fine for me, it was 4OD and ITV player that gave me issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think its the harddrives as i had the 160gb in my fat and 4OD worked fine.

the slim and fat are slightly different with hardrive swaps the fat doesnt require reinstalation of firmware on a hardrive swap just a quick format. while the slim requires you to have firmware on a usb stick to reinstall firware then a quick format. just a slight odity which my give and idea why it works on a fat but not on a slim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is a seagate hybrid drive if that helps.

Also Netflix and iPlayer were fine for me, it was 4OD and ITV player that gave me issues.

ITV Player is woeful wherever and whatever I use to access it. They seriously need to start again with that heap of junk.
    i dont think its the harddrives as i had the 160gb in my fat and 4OD worked fine.

It's not the size, it's buffers and various other things, I think. One chap who's comments I read on another site was trying different 1TB drives in his PS3 and some were terrible for streaming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all im saying is with the 160Gb harddrive in my fat 60gb 4OD worked. the same 160gb harddrive in a slim playstation doesnt work with 4OD.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting exactly the same issue when trying to watch stuff. Programs play fine up to the ad break, then the second part just won't start.

It's not ISP related as I have tried both Virgin and BT (in the process of switching and both currently active). This has happened on and off for a long time now.

It would be so much easier just to torrent the show and stick it on a USB stick >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i using 4OD in my ps3 slim at the moment and it seems to to be working after the ad breaks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i using 4OD in my ps3 slim at the moment and it seems to to be working after the ad breaks :)

I gave up with it a while ago, if your looking for a cheap box with iPlayer, ITV Player 4oD, and Demand 5 that works well I suggest you try the Now TV box which costs £10 (free delivery with an HDMI cable).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im just wondering if the 4.60 update sorted it out as it seems (finger crossed) to be working at the moment