The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh, of course as mentioned barely any actual shows get on the cover of the Christmas Radio Times. The only actual programmes would probably be Only Fools in 1985, 'stEnders in 1986, Harry Potter on Radio 4 in 2000 and Who in 2005.

In the early seventies you used to get photo covers quite a lot but they would just be BBC stars in general, The Two Ronnies were on the cover in 1971 and Mike Yarwood in 1978 but they were more promoting the whole season than just their shows. A choirboy in 1989 was ostensibly promoting Carols From Kings (last ever photo cover, fact fans) but was just a nice picture really, same with Wallace and Gromit in 2008 and 2010 (especially as they were only on in repeat form in 2010) and the same this year I think, it is a "nice" picture first - especially as they have the free book offer - and a C4 show second.

Anyway, on Christmas Day it's nine BBC choices to two ITV, and one of those is Paul O'Grady.

The editor of RT was on Chris Evans' Radio 2 show the other day and he said that putting The Snowman And The Snowdog on the front cover of the Christmas issue was an easy decision.

The Snowman is old-fashioned animation and that fits in with the style of the RT Christmas covers. I'll wager there have been quite a few snowmen on the RT Christams front cover over the years.

And there are three ITV programmes among the Christmas Day choices - Corrie, O'Grady, and Downton. Downton is joint Pick Of The Day with Midwife but Midwife gets the big picture. I had to double-take to realise Downton was featured as well.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    And it seems Mr Selfridge has been pushed back a week so Ripper Street now has a 2 week head start: https://twitter.com/Coops_tv/status/281032226706161666

Good news for Ripper street. Looks like CTM later in the year?

I reckon CTM should beat Corrie with and SDC lead in it looks pritty solid. EE should scrape DA and the royals will be just behind DA. DW should be mid 7m with that early start. O'Grady will put in a solid if unspectacular performance.

If that doesn't happen I strip:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtrUuyAFjA

Do you reckon anyone's ever got banned on DS for striping? :confused:

Hopefully you will all forget that pledge! :o

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew Eastenders shouldn't be on Christmas Day, It will drag BBC1 ratings share down :)

You don't make my little bet above look like such a good idea. :cry:

Ken
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showtime had a big night on Sunday with Dexter and Homeland. The premium cable network is available in 21.3m US homes, 19% of the total Nielsen universe.

While 18-49 ratings don't matter to premium networks, Dexter did a 1.4 rating which was the #2 show on US cable for the whole night, quite remarkable given the lower penetration of the network. The Real Housewives of Atlanta on Bravo topped the night with a 1.9

Press Release:
    Dexter® AND Homeland SEASON FINALES DELIVER BOTH SERIES’ HIGHEST RATED NIGHTS EVER

The Dexter Season 7 Finale Now Ranks As The Top Rated
    SHOWTIME® Original Series In Network History

The season finales of Dexter and Homeland last night outperformed their record breaking ratings from last week, to deliver both series' highest-rated nights ever.

Breaking last week’s record, the Dexter season seven finale now ranks as the highest-rated episode ever for a SHOWTIME original series. DEXTER delivered 2.75 million viewers at 9 p.m., and garnered the best total night delivery ever for a SHOWTIME series with 3.43 million total viewers for the night. Sunday’s finale was up 14 percent from the season seven premiere (vs. 2.4 million) and up 23 percent versus the season 6 finale (vs. 2.2 million, 12/18/11). For the night, the finale was up 26 percent from the season six finale (vs. 2.7 million). Season-to-date, the seventh season of DEXTER is averaging 6.1 million total weekly viewers across platforms, its highest rated season ever, and up 12 percent above its prior season through the same time frame.

With its highest-rated night ever, Homeland’s season two finale delivered 2.7 million viewers for the night, surpassing last week’s total (2.6 million) as the best total night delivery ever for the series and up 31 percent from its season 2 premiere night (vs. 2.1 million). At 10 p.m. the finale garnered 2.3 million viewers, up 32 percent versus the season two premiere (vs. 1.7 million). Season-to-date, the second season of Homeland is averaging 5.9 million total weekly viewers across platforms, up 37 percent above its freshman season and now ranks as the network’s second highest rated series
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,264
    Forum Member
    EastEnders seemed to air 19:27-19:55 tonight but Holby has started on time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »

Ken

I'm thinking February 24th for CTM, the week after Ripper Street finishes. Two costume dramas on Sunday night may be too much for BBC1 even two costume dramas as wildly different in content and style as CTM and RS.

Also, IIRC, last winter Waterloo Road didn't return until close to end of Midwife's run - BBC1 spreading out their very limited pre-watershed drama. And next year WR starts on 2nd January suggesting Midwife will have to wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I'm thinking February 24th for CTM, the week after Ripper Street finishes. Two costume dramas on Sunday night may be too much for BBC1 even two costume dramas as wildly different in content and style as CTM and RS.

Also, IIRC, last winter Waterloo Road didn't return until close to end of Midwife's run - BBC1 spreading out their very limited pre-watershed drama. And next year WR starts on 2nd January suggesting Midwife will have to wait.

I wonder if Waterloo Road can improve on it's previous performance. Still it did better than YA in it's slot.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also regarding Midwife - Blandings is down in the BBC media centre as starting in week 3. I have that down for Sundays (the only other possible slots that I can see would be Saturday or Wednesday.) Blandings, Midwife and Ripper Street would certanly be too much period drama.

Blandings and Ripper Street could go together on Sunday night because Blandings will be going down as comedy rather than drama and I think it will be half hour episodes.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »

I reckon CTM should beat Corrie with and SDC lead in it looks pritty solid. EE should scrape DA and the royals will be just behind DA. DW should be mid 7m with that early start. O'Grady will put in a solid if unspectacular performance.

If that doesn't happen I strip:eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtrUuyAFjA

Do you reckon anyone's ever got banned on DS for striping? :confused:

Hopefully you will all forget that pledge! :o

Ken
    I think Doctor Who could get over 8m. Early start may hurt but at the same time it's a captive audience on Christmas Day.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be the first Christmas Ratings Predictions Game which includes the news??? I'm not sure, maybe the absent Dancc could clarify...but for all those who are making guesses here why not have a go on the game?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63060256&postcount=641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think Doctor Who could get over 8m. Early start may hurt but at the same time it's a captive audience on Christmas Day.

Ronnie Corbett managed 8m in that slot two years ago.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    EE still not finding any momentum with Christmas just a week away now. Corrie doing OK - but down week-on-week as was Emmerdale. Huge rating for Inside Claridges. What a monster hit for BBC2. The Poison Tree dips, but that was expected really. Bad Santas is a total flop. 800k :eek: I was expecting nearer 2m for it. Ouch for C4. Arrow was as consistent as ever and one of my favourite new shows of 2012 (along with Homeland and Revenge). A TV gem!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also regarding Midwife - Blandings is down in the BBC media centre as starting in week 3. I have that down for Sundays (the only other possible slots that I can see would be Saturday or Wednesday.) Blandings, Midwife and Ripper Street would certanly be too much period drama.

Blandings and Ripper Street could go together on Sunday night because Blandings will be going down as comedy rather than drama and I think it will be half hour episodes.

If Midwife starts too late it'll be in the Summer when viewership is generally down. If Mr Selfridge is starting a week later what will Ripper Street face in week two? Also RS is still a bit exposed in its scheduling.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to Steve, I had certainly put Wallace and Gromit 2008 as a programme rather than "festive scene" RT cover.

They had the top rated show on Christmas Day (and of the year), a film premiere too, and were the BBC1 ident. They were Christmas 2008.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad Santas is a total flop. 800k :eek: I was expecting nearer 2m for it. Ouch for C4.

Extract from the Radio Times
    BAD SANTAS
    A group of unemployed men are given the chance to make a fresh start on the job market - but only if they work in one of Santa's grottos. Filling that red costume with confidence isn't easy though, and first they must go through some gruelling training.

Created, produced and directed by Alan Partridge.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie Corbett managed 8m in that slot two years ago.

True, Corbett also had a good lead in though and Corbett provided a great lead in to Doctor Who which got 10m at 6pm. DW just might get 9m on the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Could this be the first Christmas Ratings Predictions Game which includes the news??? I'm not sure, maybe the absent Dancc could clarify...but for all those who are making guesses here why not have a go on the game?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63060256&postcount=641

Thanks. I'll have a go at this after a good think. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, Corbett also had a good lead in though and Corbett provided a great lead in to Doctor Who which got 10m at 6pm. DW just might get 9m on the day.

Ronnie's lead-in was a repeat of The Gruffalo, but that had a lead-in from Shrek. Dr Who gets a lead-in from Shrek and a new animation from the writer of The Gruffalo. (Room On The Broom by Julia Donaldson)
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Midwife starts too late it'll be in the Summer when viewership is generally down. If Mr Selfridge is starting a week later what will Ripper Street face in week two? Also RS is still a bit exposed in its scheduling.

I'm pretty sure Mr Selfridge is still starting in week 2 of Ripper Street. Think someone on Twitter got a bit mixed up.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing On Ice lineup looks pretty good. But will it be enough to increase ratings ? If not, then ITV are going to be in hot water.
    Also it's airing an hour earlier this year with live shows at 6.15pm and results at 8.30pm for the first two weeks.
    One show we haven't much discussed is The Snowman and Snowdog. It has been getting lots of preview space and brilliant write ups in the quality papers. And I noticed today its got pride of place on the front of the festive RT! :eek:

When did a non BBC show ever feature on the front of the Christmas RT?

I can only think of a handful of BBC ones that have to be fair.

Anyway, I think it could produce the ratings shock of the festive season, even against Corrie and Merlin. Could it get 7m? 8m?

10m?

Look at Wallace and Gromit 4 years ago - 14.4m on the night, 16.2m official (24m inc +1*)

(* plus 1 week, that is... ;))
    Absolutely no chance thanks to stupid C4 schedulers putting it at 8pm against the second half of Corrie and the last ever Merlin. Had they rejigged their schedules and put it at 6.30pm it would probably have done signicantly better.

We've said it millions of times before but Jay Hunt doesn't have a clue when it comes to C4 - and scheduling has let so many shows down over the last year or two. She's scheduling big shows in the same way she'd schedule them if they were on BBC1 - when in reality C4 scheduling has always had to be smarter than that and take it's chances at points where BBC1 and ITV1 are usually weak.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    And it seems Mr Selfridge has been pushed back a week so Ripper Street now has a 2 week head start: https://twitter.com/Coops_tv/status/281032226706161666
    I'd guess that's just a typo - it's still showing on Digiguide for the 6th and I'm sure those schedules are locked in now.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I posted this in here...

Christmas Day 2011 - Live vs Overnight and Consolidated
    BBC One
    16:50 - FILM: Ratouille: 5.24m (27.0%)
    * added on 0.2m before 02:00
    * consolidated 0.77m to 6.01m (27.9%)
    18:30 - The Gruffalo's Child: 6.04m (27.4%)
    * added on 0.43m before 02:00
    * consolidated 1.60m to 7.64m (29.7%)
    19:00 - Doctor Who: 7.15m (30.3%)
    * added on 1.77m before 02:00
    * consolidated 3.52m to 10.77m (37.3%)
    20:00 - Strictly Come Dancing: 6.58m (25.9%)
    * added on 0.94m before 02:00
    * consolidated 1.92m to 8.50m (27.9%)
    21:00 - EastEnders: 8.23m (31.2%)
    * added on 1.69m before 02:00
    * consolidated 3.10m to 11.33m (32.4%)
    22:00 - Absolutely Fabulous: 6.34m (25.8%)
    * added on 1.09m before 02:00
    * consolidated 2.73m to 9.07m (28.5%)
    22:35 - Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow: 5.67m (28.0%)
    * added on 0.78m before 02:00
    * consolidated 2.42m to 8.09m (31.7%)

ITV1
    17:30 - You've Been Framed!: 3.69m (19.2%)
    * consolidated 0.33m to 4.02m (19.3%)
    18:00 - Emmerdale: 5.63m (26.3%)
    * added on 0.64m before 02:00
    * consolidated 1.48m to 7.11m (28.7%)
    19:00 - All Star Family Fortunes: 5.90m (25.1%)
    * added on 0.23m before 02:00
    * consolidated 0.46m to 6.36m (22.0%)
    20:00 - Coronation Street: 8.37m (33.0%)
    * added on 0.66m before 02:00
    * consolidated 2.14m to 10.51m (34.3%)
    21:00 - Downton Abbey: 7.52m (29.4%)
    * added on 0.61m before 02:00
    * consolidated 4.07m to 11.59m (33.9%)

You can see the logic from BBC in putting Doctor Who on at 17:15 as it allows people to freely timeshift throughout the evening, and for them to then be included in the overnight ratings meaning that it could end up winning the night despite being nowhere in the schedule.

I don't think the ITV News will play a big part as anyone that wants to timeshift Downton Abbey will do so like last year anyway, the bigger concern is that they could give Call the Midwife a huge peak at the end. I can't imagine 7 million 'live' viewers sticking around for a news bulletin in the middle of primetime, thus giving ITV News a ~4.0m overnight and Call the Midwife a big peak - assuming the majority of Call the Midwife's viewing is live anyway.

Looking back to earlier this year, not one single episode of Call the Midwife recorded a live audience of over 8 million viewers, and for the highest rated episode:

19/02/2012 - 7.94m (31.0%) live ---> 11.41m (34.5%) consolidated [3.47m timeshift]

That clashed with Corrie, which had 7.37m (28.3%) live --> 9.01m (29.0%) consolidated [1.64m timeshift]. So on that day, Call the Midwife beat Coronation Street live, although that was lifted into that slot to help Dancing on Ice.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent work there, dmn, not seen those stats before.

CTM and Corrie didn't clash earlier in the year. ITV put it there as a wrecking tactic for the final episode, but the Beeb shifted it out of the way, boosting CTM even further.

Corrie battled with Antiques Roadshow iirc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fun bit of number crunching from DMN there. And now I am none the wiser about any of my predictions. :D

Corrie didn't clash with the CTM finale though as the latter started at 8.30pm. On Christmas Day they will clash. What will happen!?!
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Friday its against That Text Santa thing which gets a corrie lead in....Its been promoted like hell on Heart Radio and Vodafone have been setting txts about it too. I think Thursday could see a rise but not a huge one given its the last late night shopping of the year.Monday will have the highest figure for sometime though.

Then its Friday rating should go up then, no excuses for a poor show. Text Santa may have Corrie as a lead in but history has shown time again that means nothing.

EE has lost near two million viewers in the last few years, it is not in a good place as audiences for live TV fragment further in the next few years. It will get 8 million on xmas day but DA will trump that by 3 million.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Channel Four has been struggling to reach a million for a few new commissions. Jay Hunt apparently likes to know the overnights too.

You have to say Channel 4 has done pretty poor in the last few months. Friday Night Dinner and Peep Show on a Sunday, 3 hours of Come Dine With Me a day (!) and shows like Bad Santas and Real Man's Road Trip. There hasn't been much of the so called 'Creative Renewal' yet, and the ratings are showing how bad Channel 4 actually is. Audience share is dipping (it'll probably end the year on 5.6%) and there are very little signs that C4 will pick up in the New Year (remember that C4 have axed Gypsy Weddings).
This discussion has been closed.