Kiss FM

Comments

• hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss FM radio is still stereo on digital TV, even though some stations like Smooth went mono!
    There does not seem any figures for platforms but like the Hits and Smash Hits
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/radio-research/drr-2012/2012_DRR_Chartpack.pdf
    figure 25
    as Kiss has been on national Freeview a long time, I expect a lot of it's target audience outside the FM areas use Freeview at home!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks of DAB as the new AM MW band but even this had stereo in the states.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Found this on the Bauer Media website what could this mean? "Bauer Media brands including KISS, heat and 4Music engage with over 2.2 million 16-24 women and growth plans across multi-platforms, including digital extensions are in development for a range of brands during 2013."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still stereo 128k locally in London
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,599
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Why is radio going backwards? Moving towards mono broadcasting again...seems crazy..

We're in a transitional phase. It seems that choice rather than quality sells radio - and there's nothing stopping a move to DAB+ stereo later. Hanssolo put it well.

It's not a step backwards. We're going from TeamRock, Kiss, Absolute 80s, PlanetRock, UCB etc being completely unavailable in much of the country to being available in multiple formats. The comparison isn't with glorious 160k streams but with nothing at all.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Gone, S Hants.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiss has been removed from every local multiplex I can receive, even Bradford and Huddersfield where Gold is still available. Nothing appears to have replaced it and none of the stations appear to have increased their bitrates, though I'm not an expert on bitrates so not the best person to ask.
    Forum Member
    Heart, Capital and Gold still 112k/s
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Heart, Capital and Gold still 112k/s

All still 128 in Norfolk.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss still seems to be on Essex and London muxs.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are both the national and local muxes owned by different companies?
    Forum Member
    Are both the national and local muxes owned by different companies?

Arqiva have NOW Digital and Digital One.
    Forum Member
    Charlie wrote: »
    All still 128 in Norfolk.

I have a feeling Global aren't interested and we'll be stuck with 112kbps for a while yet. I hope I'm wrong. There's plenty of room now that Kiss & Breeze have left and Jack has gone to 64kbps.

At least Wave is still 128.
  • westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Kiss is still in stereo on the Cornwall Mux.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    Found this on the Bauer Media website what could this mean? "Bauer Media brands including KISS, heat and 4Music engage with over 2.2 million 16-24 women and growth plans across multi-platforms, including digital extensions are in development for a range of brands during 2013."
    http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/rss/1180882/Bauer-Media-launch-sister-Kiss-digital-stations-close-Q-radio/
    Bauer Media is to launch two sister digital radio stations to its dance and R&B station Kiss, called Kisstory and KissFresh, and will scrap the Q radio station after 10 years.

Kiss: Bauer Media unveils plans for two sister digital radio stations
    Kisstory will build on the hour-long slot on the main Kiss station playing classic older tunes throughout the day, while KissFresh will be the station for new music and guest mixes spanning the hip-hop, R&B, EDM, House and garage genres.

The stations will be on air 24 hours a day from next Tuesday 7 May and will have presenters who will pop up through the day rather than being held down to a specific show time.

Kisstory will be available on the Freeview TV platform, where it replaces the Q radio station, as well as on the Kiss Player and KissKube iOS app. KissFresh will be available through the Kiss apps and players

The new stations mark the end of the Q radio station and the final broadcast of Q Radio on the brand's website and via the UK Radioplayer will be on May 7. Bauer closed the Q TV channel in favour of Heat last July.

Bauer Media has also created a new KissKube iOS app, which will be available from mid-May, that will allow listeners to download shows for offline listening and offer more interactivity. The app will be available on BlackBerry and Android later in the year.
    No mention of DAB and no mention of Heat's plans!
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

Glad to see a dedicated Kisstory station coming, This has been something i always thought would be a good idea.

It's good to see Bauer investing in Digital Radio.

One thing though, with Kiss going on Digital One, and leaving local DAB, what happens to local opt-outs (mostly advertising & traffic) on Kiss 101 & Kiss 105-108? Will it now be fully national? Or will Kiss stay on Local DAB in the FM areas to keep the ability for local opt outs?
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss 105-108 was removed from Norfolk multiplex today, so no.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    Kiss 105-108 was removed from Norfolk multiplex today, so no.

Ah i see.

Looks like Kiss in Mono on D1 MAY be a temp thing...

Kiss' Andy Roberts commented on Twitter saying: "...it's a short term thing. Watch what unfolds"
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kiss was supposed to be quite fresh so I don't see the point of KissFresh. I can see the point of Kisstory, and I think that station could be popular with people who like old* urban music and old dance music. It is good that Bauer is trying new formats.

I think Bauer should use the extra space left by Kiss on their local multiplexes to increase the bitrate o stations like Kerrang if other stations don't want that space.

I thought Heat was aimed at an older audience? It sounds older than The Hits or Kiss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I thought Heat was aimed at an older audience? It sounds older than The Hits or Kiss.
    I agree, I'd say the music played on Heat is similar to the Bauer locals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    It's target age is 15-35 same as Kiss, the Hit's and Kerrang!
    http://radio.bauermediaadvertising.com/stations/detail/heat
    But probably more the top end?
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    Ah i see.

Looks like Kiss in Mono on D1 MAY be a temp thing...

Kiss' Andy Roberts commented on Twitter saying: "...it's a short term thing. Watch what unfolds"

Something else would have to leave D1 for an upgrade to 112k stereo. Personally I think they are more likely to use any extra capacity to launch Kisstory on there.

The way things are going we could do with DAB+ and Digital 2.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,346
    Forum Member
    Kisstory test stream:
    http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/query.asp?feedme=KISSTORY

For those who don't bitrate-watch, this is a very good sounding stream for the available bandwidth it's been given.
    For those who judge quality based on the number they see on their screen, this isn't very good and the station should just be shut down before it's even launched cos there's no point in it, innit?

Do bear in mind the programming has not yet officially launched, so please don't be so quick to judge what you hear, but hopefully it'll give an indication of the music you might hear.
  • mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had gone on the Sussex Coast multiplex this morning although still on London as already posted.