BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Drive, it doesn't seem to report any actual news these days, all it seems to be is a round up of the days court judgements which just seems to be child abuse case after child abuse case

No wonder most people's view of the amount of crime in society is out of proportion to the amount actually committed
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A significant increase in pre recorded interviews from empress derbyshire programme - must be a strategy to reduce all the 'bear with us' es ems and oks. Today the leading feature was a lady whose daughter had been missing for four years. Really depressimg radio. Why dont they go the whole hog and get Prozac to sponsor the Slash Wrists Hour?

Oh god you should have heard Anna Raeburn when she had her slot on LBC. A lunchtime show devoted to all the woes that befall people :(
  • ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Not understanding the anti-Chris Warburton thing; his voice is downbeat and rather sardonic, but should there not be a variety of differing voices/styles?

He does appear to be a journalist, rather than someone who just skims newspaper headlines, and he knows about stuff that happened before 2000, which seems to be a foreign land to some presenters (not looking at anyone: you'll have your own favourites!)

No I am not his Mum.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    Oh god you should have heard Anna Raeburn when she had her slot on LBC. A lunchtime show devoted to all the woes that befall people :(

At least it was advertised as being that sort of programme.

So today's Victoria Derbyshire show. I only heard a few seconds of the story but presumed it was a repeat, not that the mum was doing another interview about the case. Why was that the lead story today anyway? There aren't any news items to which it is relevant.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    ukebra wrote: »
    Not understanding the anti-Chris Warburton thing; his voice is downbeat and rather sardonic, but should there not be a variety of differing voices/styles?

He does appear to be a journalist, rather than someone who just skims newspaper headlines, and he knows about stuff that happened before 2000, which seems to be a foreign land to some presenters (not looking at anyone: you'll have your own favourites!)

No I am not his Mum.

I think Chris is absolutely fine. Nothing special, but steady.I liked his Saturday Edition show too. That's the sort of output that there should be more of during the day. Stuff that's interesting rather than heart-wrenching.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Nolan is asking for phone calls for people's views on getting cancer.

Off
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So today's Victoria Derbyshire show. I only heard a few seconds of the story but presumed it was a repeat, not that the mum was doing another interview about the case. Why was that the lead story today anyway? There aren't any news items to which it is relevant.

That's often the case with her items !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Nolan is asking for phone calls for people's views on getting cancer.

Off

Thanks for warning me before I turn the radio on !
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    didas wrote: »
    I've said it before on this thread, but I'll say it again. I really like Richard Bacon's show. For me it has the right mix of interview and feature without constantly rehashing the day's news or depressing the hell out of me. I used to listen to 5 most of the day if I wasn't working, but now I do Breakfast for an hour or so, then switch to 6 Music until 2 when I listen to Bacon, unless it's Wednesday and then I'll catch PMQs at 12 until they start over-dissecting it. I'll give Drive another half hour at 4 and then back to 6 for the early evening.

To conclude: Bacon's is the one show on 5 I will actively tune in to and listen to most of it.

That sums up the Radio Five problem. While you like to listen to Bacon I will switch over to Talk Sport as i will for Derbyshire and Warburton. As one poster I read put it so well that many want a combination of Sky News and an upmarket Talk Sport. Like him i would rather have:- Oldroyd,Inverdale,Payne,Pougatch,Chapman,Logan and people of that ilk during the day although I do miss Mayo and Garvey.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    That sums up the Radio Five problem. While you like to listen to Bacon I will switch over to Talk Sport as i will for Derbyshire and Warburton. As one poster I read put it so well that many want a combination of Sky News and an upmarket Talk Sport. Like him i would rather have:- Oldroyd,Inverdale,Payne,Pougatch,Chapman,Logan and people of that ilk during the day although I do miss Mayo and Garvey.

Hmm, I'm not sure I want Sky News on the radio. Quite the opposite. I think what I would really like is a more upbeat version of radio 4 with no plays, more news and more sport. It's the features that I enjoy the most. I like radio where you either learn something or it makes you laugh or at least smile. If you have constant news all day, it makes it impossible to stay tuned in unless you don't mind the repetition.

Regarding your presenter choices, Oldroyd is excellent and should do Drive or even more preferably, take over from the awful Burden. Chapman is good and has improved. Pougatch is great, but Payne and Inverdale are just too fussy. They're always looking for the angle to a story while often missing the point. Lastly, Logan was a complete disaster!
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,296
    Forum Member
    I was listening to 5live for a bit last night and they had some posh sounding lady called Katie Hopkins on who clearly didn't think much of people with tattoos or being overweight!

TBH It just seem to descend into a childish and rude argument between her and those who disagreed.

Having looked her up she isn't one for toeing the old PC line which I guess makes her perfect for somebody like Nolan.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is 5live MW transmission so weak? I can pick up Talksport here in SE Ireland but 5live is all but impossible after early March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I was listening to 5live for a bit last night and they had some posh sounding lady called Katie Hopkins on who clearly didn't think much of people with tattoos or being overweight!

TBH It just seem to descend into a childish and rude argument between her and those who disagreed.

Having looked her up she isn't one for toeing the old PC line which I guess makes her perfect for somebody like Nolan.

She was on the Apprentice years ago I think.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of the Apprentice, why isn't the fired contestant on the Victoria Derbyshire show any more?
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Talking of the Apprentice, why isn't the fired contestant on the Victoria Derbyshire show any more?

I would have thought that is due to fact they can't get to Manchester to be with Victoria, and then back to London to be on with Greg James! :) Oh, hang on.....
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Are they on bbc breakfast?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and off to the usual left wing agenda we go. Evil government stopping familes bringing in spouses and children from abroad. No contextualisation as to how the policy was brought in. We now have some pathetic wimp bleating that his wife and child are in Lagos and he can't see them.

Just did a quick search and you can get a flight there for £ 145.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, I soon changed stations ! I see VD's still not in Salford.

Being politically incorrect, I'd say be careful who you fall in love with abroad, you might never be allowed to bring them into the country !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    Yup, I soon changed stations ! I see VD's still not in Salford.

Fogarty having to fill for VD after losing line to Derbyshire’s London studio, sounds amateur.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just turned back and Fogarty is on. Did someone pull the plug on Vicky.

Mind you, they're interviewing some whinger who claims to be having his benefit cut (evil government again), so plus ca change and all that.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Just turned back and Fogarty is on. Did someone pull the plug on Vicky.

After the 11.30 news VD didn’t come back on air until 11.52 – does she broadcast from New Broadcasting House or does she have a home studio? Mayo & Kermode have a webcam when broadcasting from NBH so I wonder why VD just shows an empty studio in Salford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably broadcasts in her jimjams from her bedroom :)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    After the 11.30 news VD didn’t come back on air until 11.52 – does she broadcast from New Broadcasting House or does she have a home studio? Mayo & Kermode have a webcam when broadcasting from NBH so I wonder why VD just shows an empty studio in Salford.

The BBC are pathetic. Since the move to Salford the number of dropped links and failed interviews is beyond a joke.

I also hate the way the presenter doesn't say hello to the guest first to check they are actually there and they ask some long rambling question only to be met by silence or a terrible mobile connection.

Can't the producer check the other person is there first? if the line is bad call them back or use a landline.

I'd say it's been getting worse with Radio 5, quite why they can't get a reliable decent connection between London and Salford is beyond me.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it's been getting worse with Radio 5, quite why they can't get a reliable decent connection between London and Salford is beyond me.

Do you have a computer?
    Yes?
    Does it ever crash?
    Yes?
    All modern equipment is computer based, and sometimes it falls over. Of course, it wouldn't happen with old fashioned equipment - that may just explode instead. :rolleyes:

Regarding phone calls - some people don't have landline/may be travelling/down the pub etc. S**t happens - get over it, no-one has died by having a phone line drop. :sleep:
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Do you have a computer?
    Yes?
    Does it ever crash?
    Yes?
    All modern equipment is computer based, and sometimes it falls over. Of course, it wouldn't happen with old fashioned equipment - that may just explode instead. :rolleyes:

Regarding phone calls - some people don't have landline/may be travelling/down the pub etc. S**t happens - get over it, no-one has died by having a phone line drop. :sleep:

Would this have happened if said presenter had been in the studio as was proposed when the move to Salford was forced on all the beeb staff involved in R5 ?

The computer / phone line may still have broken/ crashed but there wouldn't have been the need for someone (Shelagh) to step in and take over
This discussion has been closed.