Any Joss Stone fans?

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I must admit that I never used to like her and after that BRITS moment (which on reflection isnt even that bad) I always thought she was abit stuck up however I've recently been listening to her alot and I've fallen in love with her stuff, never realised she had such a unique and powerful voice.

Just had a look at her discography and was shocked to discover that she's done alot better in the US than she has over here. Her last four albums have been top 10 hits in the US but have barely made a scratch in the UK?

I would love to see her live, are there any more fans out there?

Comments

• wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    I adored her Mind,Body & Soul album, you had me was so amazing :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Yes! She's incredible. So underrated. I loved 'Soul Sessions vol. 2', it's one of my favorite 2012 releases actually :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adore Joss stone. Have all her albums and seen her live. Incredible underrated. Her Introducing album is one of my all time fav albums.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to her right now totally forgot just how good she is Introducing is still a favourite album of mine :).
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joss Stone has always been a class act. She would be appreciated more in the US than here as her music is strictly out of the 60s/70 Stax/Atlantic Soul sound which no longer generates that much interest over here in recent years, but is still popular in the States. The Americans often recognise British talent which fails to have much impact here.

I'm surprised JS still lives here considering what almost happened to her3 years ago. Love her version of Womack and Womack's Teardrops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2Wch10W3k
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Joss Stone has always been a class act. She would be appreciated more in the US than here as her music is strictly out of the 60s/70 Stax/Atlantic Soul sound which no longer generates that much interest over here in recent years, but is still popular in the States. The Americans often recognise British talent which fails to have much impact here.

I'm surprised JS still lives here considering what almost happened to her3 years ago. Love her version of Womack and Womack's Teardrops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2Wch10W3k

She has a solid fanbase here though. I think it was more a case of the 07 Brits and then Amy Winehouse that ended her UK career :/.

My favourite song is Proper Nice it's not her best but it just strikes a cord with me :).
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to fancy the gosh-darned pants off her...:blush: but, as far as her music/voice goes, not so much really. Seriously, when she went through her red hair phase...http://wallcapturehd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Joss-Stone-Wallpaper-for-Desktop.jpg :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I know The Introducing artwork is some of my favourite ever she looks stunning :).
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an interview she gave to Eamonn & Ruth Holmes on 'This Morning' some time ago - might have only been last year.

She came across really well in it - very easy going and down to earth and very far removed from the girl who first started out and probably was a bit mad around the time of The Brits.

The Superheavy project she did with Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and Damian Marley was quite brilliant. I love the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes totally I think people misjudged her hugely on that Brits performance. She was 19 been thrust into the limelight had been living in America and as with any young person let it get to her.

She is supremely talented and has matured greatly. She reminds me of Charlotte chrch in a way treated as a commodity but managed to come through intact with her talent in check. And all her work post EMI has been supreme.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there that awful case where two people were jailed for plotting to kill her? I felt really sorry for her during that time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Wasn't there that awful case where two people were jailed for plotting to kill her? I felt really sorry for her during that time.

Yes they had a machete I believe and planned to rob her and if necessary kill her. and throughout she never sold her story or has little mentioned it good on her.
  • TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Colour Me Free is an absolutely fantastic album, as is a lot of most recent work. I found her albums before then a little hit or miss - there was quite a lot of filler on them but since she left EMI, it has done her a world of good.

She is criminally under rated in the UK, it's so annoying!
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only really started paying attention to her a few years back when she was part of a Mick Jagger side project but I've come to enjoy quite a bit of her work. I love her cover of While You're Out Looking For Sugar.
    Forum Member
    As a live act she is one of the very best female vocalists right now if you ask me. Check these out -

Fell In Love With a Boy, New York 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1eCVH07OU

Joss Stone, Full Concert in London from June 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9mRyBfS-I

Her band are absolutely fantastic as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will always admire her for spending her whole career earnings to buy her out of her contract

She was worth about 20/30 million and used the majority of it to buy herself out. Otherwise she would of been sued. She was never happy on that label.

The fact she put aside her career earnings to take her career into how she wanted it to be, just deserves so much respect. Shows she isn't a puppet.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I think Prince Harry is.
    Forum Member
    Will always admire her for spending her whole career earnings to buy her out of her contract

She was worth about 20/30 million and used the majority of it to buy herself out. Otherwise she would of been sued. She was never happy on that label.

The fact she put aside her career earnings to take her career into how she wanted it to be, just deserves so much respect. Shows she isn't a puppet.

Definitely and her view on money is quite refreshing. I remember when I saw her being interviewed on This Morning and she said obviously you need quite a lot to record and make music because that's an expensive process but you don't need millions and millions and that it's unnecessary to have so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I think Prince Harry is.

She is quite friendly with the royal family. Not BFF's but they do invite her to certain parties or events to perform and to have a a good old catch up.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No strong feelings either way, she seems to pop up at royal gatherings though, see her a lot with Prince Harry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I fancied her when I was younger!