• MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was she as good, as you thought tho ? :p

Extremely funny.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Dear Duncans topic this morning is " Smokers " ten minute rant then ....... :yawn: ::yawn::yawn:. then the first caller ! :rolleyes:....... I dont smoke myself , not like some on this thread ! :mad:
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I remember the chorus of disapproval that Jacqui Smith had on this thread when it was announced she would be co-presenting some shows with Iain Dale. Interesting that no one objected to Nick Clegg's regular slot on LBC when his expenses claims were greater than Jacqui Smith and items he claimed for were very questionable.

So if Nick Clegg can have his shady expenses claims overlooked and be given his own show on LBC then why not Jacqui Smith?

Call Clegg is a segment of another presenter's show. I doubt if he's either employed or paid a fee by LBC. I could be wrong - anybody know?

As I've said many times before, my objection to JS was about her limited abilities as a presenter, not her dodgy expenses or political affiliations. If everybody who's been guilty of dishonesty was banned from broadcasting we'd have hours of dead air!

Morning all. :)
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »

THAT'S the man!!
    Well done, Chin. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: *Takes out insurance policy*

Actually he was so good I used to listen and I don't own a car! ;)

It's okay, Chin. I'm a responsible mobility scooter user.
    I have insurance (although it's not compulsory - though it should be) and am covered for up to £2million public liability.

Perhaps Clive could do a series of 'Where are they now?' and bring Gerard Sauer back, even for half an hour.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Max was on Sky News Sunrise. He doesn't believe Mervyn king was right RBS should be broken up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't genuine doubts about LBC's supposed political bias be addressed to them or to Ofcom instead of endlessly complaining about it on here?

It's not just here though, is it? 10 minutes ago, Nick Ferrari took something from a listener where she actually mentioned his "Tory bias".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member

So if Nick Clegg can have his shady expenses claims overlooked and be given his own show on LBC then why not Jacqui Smith?

There's no real answer to this. It gets filed away with why O'Brien can't interrupt callers and guests but Ferrari, Hartley-Brewer et al can do it with impunity. Filed right next to where O'Brien has to show respect to politicians and show deference and yet, here I am, listening to Ferrari taking yesterday's caller again with pretty clumsy puns on (New) Labour figures: Gordon Bennet Brown &c.

And today we have Ed Over Heels in Numpty Land. Yes, Nick, that's such a clever pun and such cutting satire you're pissing yourself on air. I was as critical of New Labour as anyone on here (anti-war campaigning, anti-PFI campaigning &c) and enjoyed Private Eye's fortnightly savagings but this is kid's level stuff like 'wee-wee head' &c

Crude propaganda in every sense.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Crude propaganda in every sense.

Yes, I said the following earlier on, I think, but it remains true.

There's no attempt to engage with an argument, or provide evidence to the contrary, just smug name-calling. Sadly, like the Daily Mail, it seems that this kind of rabble-rousing pulls in the crowds.

But to pretend it is journalism... ha ha, LBC!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just here though, is it? 10 minutes ago, Nick Ferrari took something from a listener where she actually mentioned his "Tory bias".

What did he take? :confused:
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    What did he take? :confused:

Well, he usually takes the p*ss... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    guiser wrote: »
    Perhaps they feel that James O'B's balances out all the other presenters.
    :D

James is a lot less left-wing than he used to be (unfortunately);
    either he's become more moderate as he matures or has had to temper his tone to keep his slot.

(I think he still is very left-wing on 'no pressure' so I think it might be the latter rather than the former)

(edit :) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metacity wrote: »
    James is a lot less left-wing than he used to be (unfortunately);
    either he's become more moderate in his dotage or has had to temper his tone to keep his slot.

(I think he still is very left-wing on 'no pressure' so I think it might be the latter rather than the former)

Perhaps he's maturing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Call Clegg. He has, for me, the Ken Syndrome - I disagree with his politics but find him an entertaining listen. He certainly doesn't take any of Ferrari's old nonsense! I'd be happy for LBC to give him a job!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he's maturing.

Oh I don't doubt that; I'm sure raising a family and having to tackle the obstacles of life will tend to bring a dose of reality to ones politics.
    But to me the presenter's play more eccentric versions of themselves (and he no longer seems to any more)
    eg: NF is, I'm sure, much less offensive/right-wing then he comes across. (at least that is what I tell myself)
    eg: CB seems to switch from left/right as he wishes depending on what the message from on high is.
    (just like the people who write in the tabloids; they're just offensive/right-wing/salacious cos it pays)

(I could be wrong tho)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    As I've said many times before, my objection to JS was about her limited abilities as a presenter, not her dodgy expenses or political affiliations. If everybody who's been guilty of dishonesty was banned from broadcasting we'd have hours of dead air!

Agreed 100%. JS is just a dreadful presenter, nothing to do with her politics.

I still listen to Ken Livingstone even though I never agree with him politically and god knows he's had more than a few dodgy dealings in the past.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Latest Foamar stat's reflecting all the manic LBC foaming about James Whale's departure:

http://files.myopera.com/FOAMAR/STATS/lbc/?1336804700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    THAT'S the man!!
    Well done, Chin. :D

We aim to please! :D
    It's okay, Chin. I'm a responsible mobility scooter user.
    I have insurance (although it's not compulsory - though it should be) and am covered for up to £2million public liability.

Perhaps Clive could do a series of 'Where are they now?' and bring Gerard Sauer back, even for half an hour.

That's a relief! ;) A great idea, but I can't see LBC going with it. I really used to enjoy the Fix it Phone in with Therese Birch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the chorus of disapproval that Jacqui Smith had on this thread when it was announced she would be co-presenting some shows with Iain Dale. Interesting that no one objected to Nick Clegg's regular slot on LBC when his expenses claims were greater than Jacqui Smith and items he claimed for were very questionable.

The Telegraph which broke the original story reported that Clegg he fitted his house with a £2,600 kitchen and had almost £6,000 worth of decorating done. He claimed for carpets, a laminate floor, tiling and sanding, curtains, blinds, curtain rails and repairs to a garage door. The mulit-millionaire Mr Clegg even charged the tax payer for cushions and paper napkins that he bought in Ikea and in a 4 month period he charged us almost £2000 for food that he bought for himself and his family.

Clegg also claimed for 2 phone bills from his home in Sheffield for over £100 which included private calls to mobiles in other countries and he was ordered to pay this money back. He made excessive claims for gardening done to his Sheffield house and was also requested to refund the tax payer for this money that he took from us. When Clegg was a Euro MP he used to fly economy but was paid travel expenses for business class.

I don't think Clegg's expense claims have had the same publicity as Jacqui Smiths. I wasn't aware of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest Foamar stat's reflecting all the manic LBC foaming about James Whale's departure:

http://files.myopera.com/FOAMAR/STATS/lbc/?1336804700

Congratulations on retaining your Bronze medal, behind myself and Martin with our Gold and Silver! ;)
  • BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard Kenny Ball died. Very sad. He presented a couple of phone-ins in the early 90s on LBC 1152 on a Saturday or Sunday night sitting in for Benny Green or Eric Hall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bazzie wrote: »
    Just heard Kenny Ball died. Very sad. He presented a couple of phone-ins in the early 90s on LBC 1152 on a Saturday or Sunday night sitting in for Benny Green or Eric Hall.

Aww. That's a shame. He was 82. That's not a bad age, I suppose although, as I get ever nearer to it, it seems much too young, to me. :cry:
  • ZoeLZoeL Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Some strange goings on with the travel today. Andy McColl has been away this week and until today Jay-Louise Knight has been doing his shift (which I believe was actually her shift until Andy took over at the start of last year) as is often the case when he is away. Joanne Webb has been doing the afternoon shift this week. Today however Joanne Web was on from 5 until 6, then Ross Powell until 9 then Joanne again until 12 and now it's Jay-Louise back on the afternoon shift.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan Barkes was in typical form last night.

He dredged up his favourite subject of smoking, then got uppity, defensive & paranoid as usual about the whole thing.

Duncan has talked about smoking so often that you can almost script his shows from memory.
This discussion has been closed.