OS X Mavericks

psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see they've added multiple tabs to Finder and assigning tags to files. Also fixed problems with multiple monitors.

Comments

• sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,385
    Forum Member
    It looks really good. As does the new Mac Pro.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Mavericks"? I was hoping for "Snoop Lion".
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks really good. As does the new Mac Pro.

It is amazingly small compared to the previous Mac Pro. Very unusual cylindrical design too.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    It is amazingly small compared to the previous Mac Pro. Very unusual cylindrical design too.

Seems like they've gone heavy on the venting and fans to prevent the smaller size causing issue about airflow and cooling.

I wonder about noise though.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It looks nice and I would quite like one myself but I think it will fail badly in the professional market where many programs use CUDA and I bet the graphics cards are the mobile versions.

Not sure if I like the new look iOS 7, reminds me of a bad Android theme.

Apple Maps and Bing - that's a winning combination :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As expected, improved battery life and Haswell on the new Macbooks. And generally more convergence between iOS and OS X.

Not sure about Maps on the Mac though unless they've really improved the POI accuracy.

Separating some of the stuff out from iTunes, such as iBooks has to be a step in the right direction though. iTunes has grown to be excessively bloated over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As expected, improved battery life and Haswell on the new Macbooks. And generally more convergence between iOS and OS X.

Not sure about Maps on the Mac though unless they've really improved the POI accuracy.

Separating some of the stuff out from iTunes, such as iBooks has to be a step in the right direction though. iTunes has grown to be excessively bloated over the years.

Yeah I don't really see how the Maps offers additional value over Google maps in a browser window. I'm sure you can send directions to google maps on your phone too or if not, Google can add the feature in pretty easily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    "Mavericks"? I was hoping for "Snoop Lion".

It does sound like the name would be better suited to something macho like a sports team or brand of condom.....
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It looks like the love child of a jet engine and an up-market pedal bin.
  • FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never going to get used to that name...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

It looks interesting. Does it have an optical drive though? I need to pick the right lotto numbers this week :D
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It looks like the love child of a jet engine and an up-market pedal bin.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks interesting. Does it have an optical drive though? I need to pick the right lotto numbers this week :D

:D:D:D

Doubt it. Built-in optical drives on forthcoming Macs are extremely unlikely.

Another interesting design touch. It's got a movement sensor apparently and if you turn the body, the ports at the back illuminate.
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the old Pro design, the new one looks like a giant AA battery.

I want to know how upgradable it is. I'm guessing it won't be going by all of the newer Macs.

Disappointed that they only refreshed the Air line and not the MacBook Pro. I was holding out until today specifically before buying my next MacBook and I'm not sure if it'll be worth buying the MacBook Pro till it is refreshed with that lovely 12 hour battery that they've given the Air.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Another interesting design touch. It's got a movement sensor apparently and if you turn the body, the ports at the back illuminate.

That's a shame, but I have an external optical drive I use for my Air that would serve the purpose. Ooh that sounds interesting :p I can't wait to see it in real life. Now is there an app to help me pick the right lotto numbers so I can have that Mac? :D
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if it'll be worth buying the MacBook Pro till it is refreshed with that lovely 12 hour battery that they've given the Air.

I'd be surprised if the low-power Haswell processors are suitable for the Pro for some months. The main distinguishing characteristic between the Air and Pro range is the CPU speeds and feeds, and the processors that it looks like have gone into the new Air are about the top of the low-power Haswells. The faster Haswells don't appear to have the deep low-power states that the Air battery extension relies on.

Foolishly, I'd ordered an Air for my daughter last week, forgetting WWDC was this week. I cancelled it off as Schiller was on stage, and re-ordered one of the new Airs. One interesting thing is the price reductions, if you were going to get a larger SSD. The 128GB+8GB+i7 is now only about forty quid more than the 128GB+8GB+i5 was before yesterday, and the 128GB+i5 machines are about fifty quid cheaper.
    Forum Member

There was a lot of hoo-hah about the absence of floppies on the original iMac, too.

I've got an optical drive for my Air. I don't think I've ever used it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the low-power Haswell processors are suitable for the Pro for some months. The main distinguishing characteristic between the Air and Pro range is the CPU speeds and feeds, and the processors that it looks like have gone into the new Air are about the top of the low-power Haswells. The faster Haswells don't appear to have the deep low-power states that the Air battery extension relies on.

Foolishly, I'd ordered an Air for my daughter last week, forgetting WWDC was this week. I cancelled it off as Schiller was on stage, and re-ordered one of the new Airs. One interesting thing is the price reductions, if you were going to get a larger SSD. The 128GB+8GB+i7 is now only about forty quid more than the 128GB+8GB+i5 was before yesterday, and the 128GB+i5 machines are about fifty quid cheaper.

The Air uses a U-series processor. The Pros could have used an M-series processor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks nice and I would quite like one myself but I think it will fail badly in the professional market where many programs use CUDA and I bet the graphics cards are the mobile versions.

Not sure if I like the new look iOS 7, reminds me of a bad Android theme.

Apple Maps and Bing - that's a winning combination :D
    Apparently not mobile versions.
    "it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them. With all that power, you’ll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays." http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The Air uses a U-series processor. The Pros could have used an M-series processor.

They could, but the M models don't appear to have the deep step-down that's required for the improved power consumption on the U models. So it would be an improvement, and presumably 22nm fabrication will help as well, but I don't think it would see anything like the dramatic improvements the Air is getting. Perhaps either the step-down will arrive on the Ms, or the Broadwell 14nm die-shrink next year will deliver some meaningful power saving in its own right. And of course, if by "Pro" we mean "Retina", the display's power consumption will still be a major issue.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see they've added multiple tabs to Finder and assigning tags to files. Also fixed problems with multiple monitors.

I use XtraFinder for that.

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder

"Mavericks" why is it plural? Not sure I like a name that is associated with Top Gun, the typical American hero type that is just as likely to cause collateral damage by titting about, compared to a British type hero who boringly gets the job done without any fuss or bother. OK so it's after a surfing area, in some ways I think that's even worse, surfing? How very 1960's and The Beach Boys. ;)
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I use XtraFinder for that.

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder

"Mavericks" why is it plural? Not sure I like a name that is associated with Top Gun, the typical American hero type that is just as likely to cause collateral damage by titting about, compared to a British type hero who boringly gets the job done without any fuss or bother. OK so it's after a surfing area, in some ways I think that's even worse, surfing? How very 1960's and The Beach Boys. ;)

http://www.experiencehalfmoonbay.com/coastal-region/mavericks.cfm

I think it's meant to reinforce the idea that Apple is a Californian company and maybe sound more "all-American" to resonate with the new policy of making Macs in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly would rather have Mac OS X Tabby Cat.
    It sounds friendly and cuddly.

Mavericks sounds like a Tim Cook idea, saying "Look here guys, I'm cool".

Like Tywin Lannister said, "If you have to say you're King, you aren't one".
  • PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »

That's what I can't decide now. Do I get the new refreshed Air with 12 hour battery and compromise on the speeds, or get the Pro Retina with last gens Intel but with more processing power? Or get nothing and wait till they refresh the Pro line - I'm worried if I go spend over a grand on the Pro, they refresh it pretty soon with better specs for the same price or cheaper.

The Pro will probably be refreshed when they announce the new iPhone.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently not mobile versions.
    "it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them. With all that power, you’ll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays." http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

There are mobile versions of the FirePro

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-mobility/Pages/amd-firepro-mobile-family.aspx

Even the mid range W7000 desktop versions are too big and need 150W each - no way in a case that small unless they install some mega cooling turbine.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a referb direct from apple
    Saving money with same specs

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac